1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured TULIP Was Never Alive to Begin With

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Aaron, May 10, 2022.

1. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

The Father and Son agreed from all eternity that he would come and died as the sin bearer, so God the father really nailed Jesus to that Cross, and Jesus agreed!

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is the problem when we learn on our own understanding.

God knew Hitler would kill millions of Jews, therefore God killed those Jews. God knew the Jews would stone Stephen, therefore God stoned Stephen. God knew man would sin, therefore God sinned.

Scripture paints a different story. The Bible states that wicked men nailed Jesus to a cross. This was in accordance with God's plan, but Scripture still presents the killing of Christ as a sin.

3. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you Jon, for sharing your changed belief in your present view of the atonement. In your present belief system, let me try to summarize it, based on its presuppositions & let me know if I am accurately articulating what you believe & make any corrections.

Presupposition#1: Jesus Christ suffered & died at the hands of wicked men by God's pre-determined plan/will.
    Presupposition#2: Jesus Christ suffered & died to redeem mankind from the bondage of sin & death.
    Presupposition#3: God sent His Son as an offering?
    Presupposition#4: Man was purchased with His blood - not purchased from anyone but bought with a price.
    Presupposition#5: Men esteemed Christ stricken, afflicted by God when in fact He was bearing our sins, sharing our infirmity.
    Presupposition#6: He became a curse & sin for us, suffered & died under the bondage that held us captive.
    Presupposition#7: God vindicated Christ by raising Him on the 3rd day, glorifying Him, giving Him a name that is above every name.
    Presupposition#8: He is a life giving Spirit, the Propitiation for the sins of the world through which we escape the wrath to come.
    Presupposition#9: In Him we are reborn, recreated.
    Presupposition10: In Him there is no condemnation & we are freed from the bonds of sin & death.

I have also summarized your understanding of the Penal Substitutionary Atonement Theory as you wrote on here and the presuppositions you think this theory is based upon. Please check them out for accuracy as well and make any corrections.

Presuppostion#1: Jesus Christ suffered & died on the cross as a substitute for sinners.
    Presupposition#2: God transfered our sins (&/or our guilt) from us & imputed them to Christ.
    Presupposition#3: Christ stood in our place and suffered the punishment instead of us.
    Presupposition#4: This was a full payment for sins.
    Presupposition#5: This full payment of sins satisfied both the wrath & the righteousness of God, so that He could forgive sinners without compromising Divine justice.

Once these can be establlished and agreed upon, then we can move forward in the discussion as to which presuppositions are biblical & which are not. Thank you.

4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Looks good to me. #4 under Penal Substitution Theory may need more clarification (Christ did die for our sins, and we were not purchased with partial payment. I probably did not articulate that well.

But I agree with your summery. Hopefully that will provide a place to start.

5. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks for your response Jon. Feel free to re-work #4 to be more accurate to how you understand it. Thanks.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For #4, I would say it has to be linked to Calvin's understanding of justice.

So the presupposition would be that Jesus had to suffer the full punishment we deserved for our second and so that we would not (a type of "sin debt").

7. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #4: Jesus had to suffer the full punishment we deserved for our (second)??? and so that we would not [suffer the full punishment] (a type of sin debt) Would it sound better (as it is difficult what you mean here): Jesus had to suffer the full punishment for our sin debt that we deserved, so that we would not have to suffer the consequences of this sin debt. Let me know.

Also, you keep talking about John Calvin's errors concerning PSA theory. Could you quote John Calvin to show his error on this. Thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

He thinks Calvin formed and got his theology of Psa from legal means and philosophy, and not from the Bible itself!

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL. Now we're getting somewhere. At least you can't tell a lie with a fart. :Roflmao

10. Mathetes66

Mathetes66 Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the beginning of this debate (not this thread, but this debate) @JonC denied that Christ was any kind of substitute. He denied that Christ took our place on the Cross. But here he said that Jesus was a substitute and He did take our place, but beware of the subtlety. He redefines substitution as representation. More on that later. And when Jon says our sins were laid on Him, he means not what Peter plainly says, that He bore our own sins in His body on the Cross, but that throughout His life He was suffering the effects that sin has on our existence here.

But when pressed, Jon let it slip, that Jesus took our place in wrath.

He said:
    I asked:
    More on his misunderstanding concerning Adam later.

So I asked:
    So the Cross is a place of wrath.

And then he defined the suffering of Cross as part of the general malaise under which we all labor, in essence saying He didn't take our place.

#111 Aaron, Jun 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing subtile change of meanings. I am outright proclaiming that Christ is our substitute only in terms of representation, exactly in the manner that Adam is the representative of natural man (which is the biblical understanding of "in Adam" as we are by nature Adam's progeny).

I just do not want people thinking I am trying to be quite or to minimalize our disagreements.

Why do you believe God must punish sinful actions even if this does not mean punishing the transgressor?

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where two or more are gathered together you can.

14. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which is to say that Christ is not our substitute.

A substitute is a replacement. A representative is an emissary. Christ replaced us on the Cross. That Cross and it's curse, meaning the guilt of transgression and the just penalty thereof, was ours. But we have been spared that Cross in Him.

We have been saved from wrath.

That is what it means to say He was made a curse for us.

We do not have to bear the Cross that Christ bore for us. The crosses we bear are the suffering for righteousness' sake, which you so egregiously conflate with what it means to suffer for sins. Yes, Christ suffered long His entire life, but that was a patience with sheep with no shepherd, and a suffering for the sake of righteousness. His suffering for sin was on the Cross, where He bore our own sins in His own body on the Tree. He was not bearing our sins at His birth, nor as a refugee in Egypt, neither when chided by His mother in Cana, nor when slandered by the Pharisees, or tempted by Satan.

He didn't suffer often for sins; He suffered once for sins. 1 Peter 3:18 The Rock was stricken once. It followed them in the Wilderness, and they were 40 years in the Wilderness because of unbelief, but it was stricken justly one time. To strike it a second time is to be left to die in the Wilderness. The veil was torn once, and it wasn't a gradual thing.

So where is it that we are told that He bore our sins? Where was it that He was stricken? Where was His body broken? (His flesh is what is represented by the veil Hebrews 10:20 ) I will repeat the question for those who think that God cannot in truth take another's sins upon Himself.

Where did He bear OUR sins? Not His. He had none. But our OWN sins?

Ah--yes. It was on the tree.

But @JonC asserts that Christ must have suffered often for sins. Jon would have been playing whack-a-mole on that Rock. He'd have had that veil cut to ribbons.

The biblical understanding is that we were really there, so death passed upon all. That's where the human race was corrupted. We were all in Adam. Not just potentially, or figuratively, or legally, but really there.

And we were really in Christ.

15. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The better question is, why must divine justice be served?

We're told over and over in the Scriptures that that is what the Cross is about, your inability to comprehend that fact notwithstanding.

Anything less would be a perversion of justice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't mean to interrupted you brethren but on the same note as the cross I thought I would post lyrics to a song I led in church for many years called... Must Jesus Bear The Cross Alone?... By Thomas Shepherd originally written in 1693... Brother Glen:)

1. Must Jesus bear the cross alone,
      And all the world go free?
      No, there’s a cross for everyone,
      And there’s a cross for me.
    2. How happy are the saints above,
      Who once went sorr’wing here!
      But now they taste unmingled love,
      And joy without a tear.
    3. The consecrated cross I’ll bear
      Till death shall set me free;
      And then go home my crown to wear,
      For there’s a crown for me.
    4. Upon the crystal pavement down
      At Jesus’ pierced feet,
      Joyful I’ll cast my golden crown
      And His dear Name repeat.
    5. O precious cross! O glorious crown!
      O resurrection day!
      When Christ the Lord from heav’n comes down
      And bears my soul away.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is a false statement.

Christ died once for all.

Your statement here demonstrates that you have absolutely no grasp on what others who disagree with you believe.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Divine justice will be served because what we call "divine justice" is just a way of describing an aspect of God's nature.

Why do you believe God must punish sinful actions even if this does not mean punishing the transgressor?

19. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're asking why must the justice of God be served?

20. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correction, suffered once, for sins. 1 Peter 3:18 . All that suffering prior to the Cross, was not for sins.

LOL. Actually it shows you have no grasp on the Gospel.