1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Turning in assault rifles for food

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Enoch, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Enoch

Enoch New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081208/ap_on_re_us/gifts_for_guns

Personally...if times were bad my weapon would be the last thing I would turn in...:cool:

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

It may have been their last... :laugh:

I like the idea but I have to agree with you, crime will go up as times get worse and they'll wish they kept protection. Not to mention, they can hunt with a gun.

3. sag38

sag38 Active Member

It's all based on the false idea that the gun is what is bad. Odd, I've never seen or heard of a gun that aims itself at anyone and then pull it's own trigger.

Are there any stats demonstrating a clear reduction in gun crime where these buy out programs have been implemented? Can they demonstrate a clear connection between the reduction in the murder rate and buying guns? There are other factors to consider such as an increase in law enforcement activity, increased jail time, etc.

#3 sag38, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2008
  4. North Carolina Tentmaker

That is the problem with this program, they can turn them in anonymously. Guns that are legally owned can be legally sold and bring in a lot more than $100 apiece (assuming working condition). The guns that get turned into programs like this are either broken or stolen. For the thief wanting to sell stolen guns this program is perfect.
    I wonder how many of these guns were stolen to start with?
    But did they check to see if they were stolen? There are databases that they could run the serial numbers through. Stolen weapons could be returned to the rightfull owners if the police cared.

5. North Carolina Tentmaker

Your right LeBuick

If it comes down to just two people and one has the food and the other has a gun which do you want to be?

You end of the world doomsayers can stock up on canned goods and bottled water, I am investing in ammunition.

6. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Within minutes?

Wow.

Just about any tool or heavy object could kill several people within minutes.

This guy seems clueless.

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I doubt it, who would walk up to these places with an illegal gun? Plus, the gansta's need their guns so they're not turning them in.

8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Now that was funny... :laugh: :wavey:

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

We have squirrel and deer in our backyard. If I am that hard up for food...I will just get some.

10. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I heard squirrel is greasy...

11. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. It isn't greasy but it does have a pretty wild taste. I enjoy it.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

Wow. My bad. I thought you guys hunted Arminians.

:D

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to have fun tomorrow morning. I'm taking a pro-gun control guy out to the range to shoot shotguns. He's never fired a gun, but was intrigued by my invitation to shoot. Apparently no one has ever asked him before.

Looks like I'm going to spend half of the morning teaching gun safety and how to handle an assault shotgun. :D

14. guitarpreacher

guitarpreacher New Member

Quote "Our biggest fear is a house getting burglarized and these guns getting taken."

It's a pretty safe bet that that'w where lots of these guns came from. Also, the headline doesn't match the story. They don't mention any assault rifles being turned in.

15. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm all for it!! I would willingly trade a sack of groceries for... say... an SKS - the poor man's 30-30. That'll take a gun off the streets and put it in the rear window of my truck where it belongs.

I'll just run along to WalMart and get a gift card. Any of you feeling guilty about having an evil gun in your possession? Come on up to padre's house. I'll have a little something for your troubles.... :thumbs:

16. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same here. I'll even add a loaf of home baked bread or some cookies for one of those things. Have you seen the prices of SKS or AK's lately? They're worth way more than $100 bucks!

17. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I took the gun control guy out to the range this morning and he enjoyed it tremendously. After we finished shooting, I pointed out that the assault shotgun he was using would have been illegal under the 1994 Assault Weapons ban, and discussed why. I also showed him my Sig P250 with the 15-round magazine and informed him that the magazine would also be illegal to manufacture under the 1994 ban.

He was surprised.

I think I've made a convert. :D

18. Enoch

Enoch New Member

Thus where the original headline came from.

19. Enoch

Enoch New Member

:laugh: good one...

20. North Carolina Tentmaker

Now thats funny padredurand.

I did some research. The buy back programs that actually check for stolen guns find a very small percentage (1-3%) of them stolen. They said that stolen guns are worth a lot more money on the street.

Most of these guns are just old, broken, or unwanted.