1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Turns out Jeb isn't the only one...

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by The Galatian, Oct 13, 2004.

1. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

"The I-Team has obtained information about an alleged widespread pattern of potential registration fraud aimed at Democrats. The focus of the story is a private registration company called Voters Outreach of America, AKA America Votes.

The out-of-state firm has been in Las Vegas for the past few months, registering voters. It employed up to 300 part-time workers and collected hundreds of registrations per day, but former employees of the company say that Voters Outreach of America only wanted Republican registrations.

Two former workers say they personally witnessed company supervisors rip up and trash registration forms signed by Democrats...Eric Russell managed to retrieve a pile of shredded paperwork including signed voter registration forms, all from Democrats. We took them to the Clark County Election Department and confirmed that they had not, in fact, been filed with the county as required by law. "

http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2421595&nav=168XRvNe

I see that the word is out that a low turnout is good news for Bush. You'll be hearing a lot more about organized attempts to disinfranchise or discourage voters from participating.

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I noticed Colorado had seroius voter fraud going on among felons. When were you going to complain about that one?

3. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I didn't know Colorado had a Republican governor.

Darn, so they do.

Who woulda guessed.

I guess he got his idea from Jeb letting all those republican felons vote.

4. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

:confused:
    Galatian's link refers to Nevada, not Colorado.
    Even if the allegations in one state are determined to be factual, I am not sure how the other state has any relevance.

5. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

Larry just wants Galatian to be objective and unbiased, like him. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I was referring to a situation in which Galatian complains about voter fraud when it goes one way but appears not to complain about voter fraud going the other way. When legal people are prevented from voting, Galatian complains loudly. When illegal voters register to vote, Galatian seems to have a hard time finding his voice.

IT certainly would improve his posting and raise the level of the conversation.

7. Pennsylvania Jim

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where is that "flying pig" emoticon when you need it?

9. Pennsylvania Jim

Ken once gave me the "vomiting" emoticon, but I lost it.

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

So, once again, how do the allegations in Colorado influence the point Galatian is making about Nevada? Did you read the article? That is quite a serious charge, if it is indeed proven true. Did you notice the last sentence(s) in the article?

Notwithstanding the point you are trying to make, how does Colorado fit into Galatian's discussion of Nevada? Are you addressing the charges against the people who allegedly did this, or are you addressing your perceptions of Galatian?

11. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

They don't that I know of. I reviewed my post and couldn't find any place that I said they did. I didn't read the article. I am not in a position to do anything about it and it doesn't affect me. I am glad that someone is doing something about it. Every legal voter should have the chance to vote. No illegal voter should be able to vote.

The topic is voter fraud. Galatian in the past has been partial to certain kinds of voter fraud, complaining when he thinks Republicans might benefit. I was simply asking, as I have before, if the other side matters to him. He did not seem terribly concerned that illegal voters might vote in Florida. I was curious if he was concerned about it in Colorado, or if this was just selective complaining.

12. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Nope. Barbarian thinks all forms of voter fraud are deplorable. Larry is just doing what Larry does best here.

Barbarian complained about that possibility. He merely notes that the Bush plan added more illegal voters (his plan permitted Hispanic felons to vote, for example) than one that did not discriminate on the basis of race or ethnic group.

Barbarian wasn't even aware that the republicans were in charge in Colorado. But even if they were democrats, what they are doing would be inexcusable.

13. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

They don't that I know of. I reviewed my post and couldn't find any place that I said they did. I didn't read the article. I am not in a position to do anything about it and it doesn't affect me. I am glad that someone is doing something about it. Every legal voter should have the chance to vote. No illegal voter should be able to vote.

The topic is voter fraud. Galatian in the past has been partial to certain kinds of voter fraud, complaining when he thinks Republicans might benefit. I was simply asking, as I have before, if the other side matters to him. He did not seem terribly concerned that illegal voters might vote in Florida. I was curious if he was concerned about it in Colorado, or if this was just selective complaining.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Are you saying that you have proof that Democrats had a role in getting those felons onto the Colorado voting rolls? Let's see it. The situation in Nevada is we know that registrations are being torn up. That's a different matter.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Folks, listen ... You guys are jumping to conclusions. Galatian pointed out voter fraud, which is inexcusable. I pointed out that Colorado also has very public allegations of voter fraud, with one guy claiming to have registered 35 times, and apparently more than 6,000 felons being registered to vote. Galatian hadn't mentioned it. I was simply asking when he was going to.

Party affiliation had nothing to do with it at all. It is wrong no matter which party does it.

Stop jumping to conclusions and just deal with the facts at hand.

15. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Do you want to provide evidence that Bush was behind this now, or do like you did last time and make unsubstantiated charges?

And would you like to explain how illegal voters will be kept from voting in Florida under your plan to abolish the voter fraud program in Florida.

If you remember our discussion, you remember that I deplored the exclusion of legal voters, but you refused to say anything about the inclusion of illegal voters. You accused me of twisting teh story and missing the point, as I recall.

I am simply saying that all voter fraud needs to be stopped. The fact that some legal voters were excluded is no reason to completely abandon the plan. That is an unthinking, illogical solution to a very real problem. All voter fraud should be stopped.

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

We've already established that. The company Bush hired for the last presidential election testified that they told Bush's secretary of State that the plan Bush asked for would disinfranchise thousands of legal voters. She, they testified, told them to do it anyway.

Then the NAACP sued. Bush agreed, in an out-of-court settlement, to not do it again. But he tried anyway. This time, in addition to disinfranchising thousands of legal black voters, his plan exempted Hispanics (mostly Cuban, who tend to vote Republican) from the felon check. This meant that thousands of felons would then be allowed to vote.

Not my plan. It's the plan Bush put into effect after he got caught in his latest scheme. Now, the plan is for the counties to screen out felons. They could hardly do worse than Bush, although I suppose they won't much better. Still, improvement is a good thing, and the apparently will not be trying to disinfranchise legal voters, or trying to let felons vote.

I remember you deplored the new plan that didn't exclude legal voters.

I was the one who pointed out to you that the Bush plan was going to permit thousands of felons vote.

I rarely use those words. I doubt it.

Then you should be happy. I don't see any way that the counties could do as badly as Bush did.

Thousands were excluded under Bush's plan. A second reason is that his plan would have permitted thousands of felons to vote (which is illegal in Florida).

I doubt if any plan will stop all of it, but scrapping Bush's plan will certainly reduce both exclusion of legal voters and the number of felons permitted to vote.

17. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

[​IMG]

Which means that there is still no evidence that Bush intended to disenfranchise anyone. In fact, if you remember, one of the links you posted cleared Bush of any wrongdoing in the matter.

Your recommendation to scrap the voter fraud program in Florida opens the door to illegal voters. With no program to determine legal vs illegal voters, the door is open to voter fraud. We should not scrap the program in any state. We should refine it.

18. Pennsylvania Jim

Just a thought...

Aside from all the arguments both ways, I think that many of the problems could be easier handled if there were not so much emphasis on making it easy to register. I'm not proposing that people should have to jump through hoops, but if the system can be made more secure at the expense of making it a bit more difficult to register, I think it would be a bargain.

If someone doesn't want to vote badly enough to make a small effort to register, then they probably aren't inclined to educate themselves to the necessary knowledge to cast an informed vote, anyway.

19. Pennsylvania Jim

Just a thought...

Aside from all the arguments both ways, I think that many of the problems could be easier handled if there were not so much emphasis on making it easy to register. I'm not proposing that people should have to jump through hoops, but if the system can be made more secure at the expense of making it a bit more difficult to register, I think it would be a bargain.

If someone doesn't want to vote badly enough to make a small effort to register, then they probably aren't inclined to educate themselves to the necessary knowledge to cast an informed vote, anyway.

20. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

I agree Jim. I think motor voter was a very bad idea. I think people ought to have to show legal citizenship and residence to register and they ought to have to provide verifiable ID (meaning picture ID) to vote at the polls. There is no reason why some simple safeguards cannot be taken.