1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Unmarried Couples Going Camping

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by PrivateWoman, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Is there any differance between umarried persons (male & female) going camping and unmarried couples going on mission trips abroed?

2. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I addressed this verse early in the thread.

I like how the NASB translates this verse. I think it does a better job at conveying the real meaning of the verse.

"Abstain from ever form of evil." 1 Th 5:22

Basically whenever evil appears, in any form we should flee from it. This is the real message of that verse.

My basic point in this thread is not that everyone should be doling this, but that I wouldn't automatically condemn someone for doing so, or call it a sin. I still believe it really depends on the two individuals and the circumstances whether they should or shouldn't ever do so.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

umm...yes.

The privacy issue is better handled.

Sleeping arrangments are usually very clearly delineated.

These are nothing alike, for the most part.

4. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

IMO, its not any of the author of the OP's business unless the girl that is being gossiped about asked for advice.

This is a matter of personal responsibility and Christian liberty.

It's not going to "ruin her reputation" because reputation are no longer based on how one handles s*x, but on how one lives their lives as a whole. He who is without sin gets to cast the first stone.

Everyone sins. To be sooooo focused on avoiding one particular sin, allows one to ignore all the other sins that are going on in ones life "that aren't so bad".

The sin we need to be focused on is that of rejecting Christ. That's the one that costs one their soul. All these other sins don't even come close to the consequences of rejecting one's only hope.

Before we go around telling people, "well so and so is going camping with her boyfriend and I told her not to. It just looks bad" we need to realize that we are implying that they must be sinning or they wouldn't think of going camping together. And that implication falls under the scriptures concerning gossip.

We need to think about what we are saying. Because you or I couldn't control our hormones while out in the woods in a tent, doesn't mean someone else can't. We ought to be ashamed of transferring our weaknesses onto other people. People in the church wouldn't have to worry about what "looks bad" if other people in the church didn't have minds focused on sinfulness themselves and mouths that love to run!

'nuff said.

5. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Actually, the steadfast in my screen name is not lifting myself up, it is a reminder that I am unmovable in many of my core beliefs.

Being steadfast is not evil, so there is no appearance of evil in saying I am steadfast in my beliefs. It is no different than Paul saying, "I lie not." (Ro 9:1) Was Paul boasting? Certainly not!

And neither am I.

6. Steadfast Fred

Steadfast Fred Active Member

Are they staying in the same room?

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is a big difference in sleeping in the same tent or even room. If this young woman wants to go campling that is fine, but she needs to have her own tent and not one that is see through.

8. jaigner

jaigner Active Member

So if she's wearing clothing and is covered up in a sleeping bag, her tent needs to be opaque? Ding, ding, ding. There's the legalism meter.

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Here again, why is it one always thinks the worst will happen? How did we get ourselves into the bondage to the appearance of things?

Ya'll watch to much tv or something. :eek:

10. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

It has been my experience that when someone stands against even the idea of holiness they call another a legalist. Thank you! I realize suggesting that having her own tent is way over the line in today's world and the mind set of the people and it does infringe on her right to look to the world as a slut and bring dishonor on the Lord, even if she is not actually engaged in immorality. If I were a betting person, and I am not, I would bet that these people would not like Jesus if they would meet Him in person. He sort of stomps on our rights and calls for us to surrender to His! Ding, ding, ding.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

The worst happens when she craws into the tent with her boyfriend. Why is it that she cannot hold to the idea that she gives no space for dishonor? The reason is we love our rights above the Lord.

12. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

for those that believe that nobody ever in any situation should do this, I have a question.

Is it that you think that it is a sin to go camping as a couple, or do you think that it absolutely will lead to sin in doing so?

13. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

Mine pegged out as well.

14. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

What!! Christians tolerate the evil of watching TV? They don't avoid the appearance of evil? Shocking... See, the problem with those who want to label this as sin will tend to refuse the same exact logic when applied to something they find acceptable. It is argued by some Christians that the Internet is evil and being on it is sin (at least for unsupervised men). Yet I am betting that some who are arguing that camping is sin are on the Internet w/o their wives looking over their shoulders the whole while.

Or watching TV, or kissing before marriage, or eating white bread, etc. etc. etc. All these things many Christians find to be unwise, even sinful, yet I am betting that many, if not most, of those arguing for sin on this thread would find these activities perfectly acceptable. These people who refuse the label of legalist (or worse, take pride in it) would likely apply the same label to other Christians who would call the activities they partake in a sin. The inconsistency is maddening.

#94 dwmoeller1, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You have already been schooled on the intent of that passage you keep bringing up...why do you ignore it? It doesn't "appear" to be a sin to me, so does that make it not a sin to me?

16. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

For me neither. The scriptures say it this way.
    1Cor 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
    And 10:23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

In regards to this discussion this young woman has the lawful right to sleep in her boyfriend's tent. In fact she can even sleep in his sleeping bag, but does any of this edify? NO! I believe that as Christians we need to take every precaution to live holy. We should not put ourselves in positions that could become or be seem as compromising to our calling. For instance. I do not ride in a car alone with a woman other then a wife or daughter. I do not counsel a woman alone or from a closed door unless there is a very large window and someone is in clear view of all going on inside. There should be in anyone's life who claims to be a Christian a desire to show that the Lord that they claim to follow is Holy and that their life is one that mimics their Lord. This is sacrifice. They should be seeking to put into place any and all safeguards to keep this image and more then just an image, an actual life of purity and holiness. This is our duty. Those who are arguing for her rights/their rights are arguing against the Lord because we are to seek His righteousness not our rights even though something might be lawful.

#96 freeatlast, Sep 30, 2010
  17. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

And conversely, if being on the Internet "appears" to be a sin to another Christian (which it does), does that make being here on the BB a sin? Does the fact that watching TV, kissing or holding hands before marriage, or listening to contemporary Christian music appear to be a sin to others make them sins?

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You never said who this "someone" is or if they know their story is being broadcast worldwide. This entire thread is built on gossip...a sin. Try taking the mote out of your own eye first.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You are engaged in gossip...a sin. To avoid the "appearance of evil", why are you involved in this thread?

20. dwmoeller1

dwmoeller1 New Member

That it may not be edifying from your perspective does not mean it is not edifying at all. Some believe posting on forums on the Internet to not be edifying. Does that mean you shouldn't be here? IOW, who gets to determine what is edifying and what is not for every person? If another can't determine whether or not posting on the BB is edifying and expect you to abide by their judgement, then how is it consistent for you to insist that you can do so for others?

So your version would seem to read like this: All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any, but I have no problem trying to bring others under my power to determine what is edifying for them.

#100 dwmoeller1, Sep 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.