1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Vessels of Mercy !

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Brightfame52, Aug 31, 2021.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    " Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timotheus our brother,
    2 to the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
    3 We give thanks to God and the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, praying always for you,
    4 since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints,
    5 for the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
    6 which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:
    7 as ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellowservant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
    8 who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit."
    ( Colossians 1:1-8 ).

Then we come to this:

" And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled
    22 in the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight:"
    ( Colossians 1:21-22 ).

and this:

" to whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" ( Colossians 1:27 ).

Reading through the letter, I see no mention of them being Jews, and added to this is the fact that Colosse was a city in Asia Minor ( Colossae - Wikipedia ), far outside Israel and one of the places Paul visited in Acts of the Apostles 14:6-7.

Continuing through to chapter 3, we come to this:

" Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;
    13 forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
    14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. "
    ( Colossians 3:12-14 ).

This letter is from Paul's hand ( inspired of God ), addressing the Gentile saints that were at Colosse in Phrygia in Asia Minor...
    and he addressed them as the elect of God ( God's elect ).

#41 Dave G, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  2. Brightfame52

Brightfame52 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is this a thread about me now ?

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMO, MB is one of the most devout worshippers of Jews on this board. Non- Jews, well, they're second class at best.

#43 kyredneck, Sep 9, 2021
  4. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Got up on the vicious side of the bed huh! Not one word of your post is true

5. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The verse clearly says to "put on as the elect" it does not say they are elect. Open your eyes you're seeing things that are not there.
    MB

6. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Put on, as the elect of God" means to me that Paul is telling them to put on the things that he then begins to list, after he addresses them "as" the elect of God...
    Bowels of mercies ( depths of mercies ), kindness, humbleness, etc.

In other words, he's saying, "Put on, as God's elect and as His holy and beloved, these things:"
    "...and above all things, put on charity".
    Or, I'm seeing things that really are there, and you are not.

Either way, when it comes to the Scriptures, it's like physical blindness;
    Only God can open someone's "eyes" ( Luke 24:45 ), so to me there's no point in telling the other person to open their own eyes.
    Which brings me to ask this question:

You genuinely do not understand that God's elect are from every tongue, tribe and nation my friend, do you?:(

It seems that no matter how hard I try,
    I simply cannot get you to see how blessed all of God's people ( both Jew and Gentile believers in Jesus Christ ) really are:

" But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;" ( 1 Peter 2:9 ).

They are indeed, the vessels of mercy and not the vessels of wrath.

I wish you well, MB, and I'll do my best to refrain from answering your posts;
    Even though I get tempted to do that from time to time when I see some of the statements that you make, thinking that all I have to do to get you to see it, is point you to the words on the page...
    and they will speak to you as they have spoken to me.

May God bless you, sir.

#46 Dave G, Sep 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Paul never addressed the Gentiles as elect. When you" put on" something you are imitating it.As in put on as the elect means do like the elect do.
    MB

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Scripture precludes receiving mercy before existing without mercy. 1 Peter 2:10 (...you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.) Therefore the premise of this thread is unbiblical hogwash...

9. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just quoted a scripture you dont understand.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And you just claimed to be a mind reader... :)

Scripture precludes receiving mercy before existing without mercy. 1 Peter 2:10 (...you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.) Therefore the premise of this thread is unbiblical hogwash.

#50 Van, Sep 11, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  11. Brightfame52

Faith:
    Baptist
    [QUOTE="Van, post: 2730136, member: 10696"]And you just claimed to be a mind reader... :)

Scripture precludes receiving mercy before existing without mercy. 1 Peter 2:10 (...you had NOT RECEIVED MERCY, but now you have RECEIVED MERCY.) Therefore the premise of this thread is unbiblical hogwash.[/QUOTE]
    No i didnt.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On and on these posters post denials of false charges, such as I do not understand 1 Peter 2:10. All they offer is "taint so" dressed up in endless costumes. They offer nothing harvested from the quarry of solid reasoning. If we were chosen to be individually saved and spend eternity with God, that constitutes receiving mercy. And if that individual choice occurred before we were created, then we never existed without having received mercy. Thus the Calvinist view of Ephesians 1:4 is as bogus as a three dollar bill.

13. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brightflame52;

Just like most of what you post is nonbiblical.. It's like you can't see the forest for the trees.
    MB

14. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No i didnt.[/QUOTE]

Yes you did you just claimed to know something that isn't there so you read Peter's mind and He's long dead by the way..
    1Pe 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
    This passage doesn't even mention the word elect yet you know what he meant. It's those blasted trees again. you just can't see right with them in the way Huh!.
    MB

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes you did you just claim... SNIP
    MB[/QUOTE]
    More waste posts claiming scripture does not mean what it says!! They offer nothing harvested from the quarry of solid reasoning. If we were chosen to be individually saved and spend eternity with God, that constitutes receiving mercy. And if that individual choice occurred before we were created, then we never existed without having received mercy. Thus the Calvinist view of Ephesians 1:4 is as bogus as a three dollar bill. No need to read Paul's mind, since he wrote it down using inspired words.

#55 Van, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  16. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    More waste posts claiming scripture does not mean what it says!! They offer nothing harvested from the quarry of solid reasoning. If we were chosen to be individually saved and spend eternity with God, that constitutes receiving mercy. And if that individual choice occurred before we were created, then we never existed without having received mercy. Thus the Calvinist view of Ephesians 1:4 is as bogus as a three dollar bill. No need to read Paul's mind, since he wrote it down using inspired words.[/QUOTE]
    Just so you know that was not my words you are complaining about They belong to your good friend Brightflame52. LOL You are so use to judging you don't know what you are judging for
    MB

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You'd be wrong as usual. It is you that worship the Jews because you strive so hard to apply Election to your self. You wish to be a Jew. How ever I do worship a Jew named Jesus Christ.and I love Him above all.
    MB

18. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You don't know do you?
    MB

19. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong MB. I don't strive or have a problem with my election, the scriptures make it clear:

6 For behold your calling, brethren, that not many wise after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
    27 but God chose the foolish things of the world, that he might put to shame them that are wise; and God chose the weak things of the world, that he might put to shame the things that are strong;
    28 and the base things of the world, and the things that are despised, did God choose, yea and the things that are not, that he might bring to nought the things that are:
    29 that no flesh should glory before God.
    30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who was made unto us wisdom from God, and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption: 1 Cor 1

20. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's funny you rely on passages that are not talking about the election of Gentiles.
    MB