1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Video of a Ghost

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    mike to blame

He has been taking nips from the Mikes lemonaide I'm thinkin

Sail on sale on sailor:thumbs:

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't be unkind. :laugh:

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you say this ....

About members denying the gifts of the Spirit, God's supernatural abilities, etc. you hit it out of the park. Of course we know that King Saul saw a ghost too, congered up by a witch. And the ghost was as demonic as the witch. When it comes to all the interest in ghosts and ghost hunting, it comes down to frail, sinful man wanting to know what is beyond death. The devil is laughing his horns of his head knowing he has these people by their throats. All they need to do is read the Bible, repent and ask Jesus to be their Lord. This way they will not have to chase demons around in the dark, with fancy electronics, hoping to find the one answer to their questions found in the cross!

Great topic.

4. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is the unfortunate, every day response to the things some don't want to debate. It is easier to call names, then stretch the intellect, or address the real questions :wavey:

5. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My comment was made in jest. The coffee is kicking in...:laugh:

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a word for it....."FLAKE ":smilewinkgrin:

7. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my case..."SHAKE".:laugh:

[​IMG]

8. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a coffee addict. I'm serious and without it I would just fall asleep. Years of habit. Its my last one and I ain't breaking it......so boo!:laugh:

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the problem that I have with you, Evangelist6589, is that if left to my own devises I would have a similar legalistic view as you possess. I love theology (my master’s was in theology). It is easy for me to lean towards my own understanding…it is the position of most comfort for me. What you trumpet as “discernment” I am trying to subdue in my own life so that I can be more like Christ. While I do not apologize for any replies in the past (I do find you lacking in discernment, uninfluenced by the Holy Spirit in your interactions, and a bit immature), I do hope that I didn’t come off crass.

I am the type of person who cannot accept praise, but welcomes criticism (I tend to think a complement insincere while criticism informs me of my weaknesses). So if I sound harsh, that is not my intent…although sugarcoating the truth is also not something in which I excel. What I said before (and you ignored…maybe you have me on “ignore,” which is fine as it does not diminish my attempt at communication) is that you need to study Scripture and not books. You need to pray and meditate. Even when you have the “right answers” they turn out wrong because of your legalistic understanding.

Learn what it means to be “in Christ”…not the theological definition (I’m sure you have the 'correct' answer) but experientially. There is a difference between knowing about God and knowing God. You have never exhibited evidence of the latter…but perhaps it is only due to online anonymity … or Mikes Hard Lemonade (I am not saying you are unsaved, only that you do not appear to be so).

In so many ways you have what I am lacking...what I envy. I admire your zeal to reach people and wish that I was more outgoing. If only there was evidence of Christ in your message...Anyway, I am praying for you, John. I hope that you'll discard all of those books for a time and simply study the Bible. I hope that you will discover what it means to be "Christ like" and turn your current zeal for "truth" to a true zeal for the Truth. My comments are not up for "debate," but please feel free to PM me. If you do not understand what I mean, I will also provide my personnel e-mail address...if necessary my phone number. It is not what you know about, but Who you know.

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IKnow,,,,,

You are one of the truly good guys on the board. I see you are fair and always ready to do what Jesus would do and say! No criticism meant to you! :thumbs:

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kind words.

Our resident Evangelist would tell you to go chase a rabbi. :laugh:

[​IMG]

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oops... Rabbit, not rabbi.

[​IMG]

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Serious Reminder: Rabbi chasing is neither kind nor polite. :laugh:

15. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You got a masters in theology???? Anyways you make loads of assumptions and have shown to be a very judging person. In fact I read my Bible daily and am studying the gospel of Mark. If I did not care about being in Christ then I would not read books like Jerry Bridges. It may be apparent you did not learn much in seminary because when I went there was a huge emphasis on reading books, collecting books, and knowing the Bible in and out. This is a DEBATE environment and it would appear you cannot debate without judging me.

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You just do not get it that people are concerned about you.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seminary isn't my point, Evangelist. My point is that I also have legalistic tendencies. Like you, I tend to lean towards "learning the rules" over learning life. Unlike you, I acknowledge and struggle with those tendencies. Our seminaries were different. Mine did not emphasize books...we read a ton of books, but the emphasis was always Christ and Scripture, not books and commentaries. (And we were not allowed to merely take the words of another and say "this is what I believe"). Anyway, why can I not "judge" your character based on your interactions on this forum? Are we not called to discern between believers?

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, that wasn't condescending or hateful in any way whatsoever.

19. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I might be wrong, though the little bit of google research I did seems to bear out my point to a certain extent, but is it not also true that many seminaries have their own publishing houses? It stands to reason, given the influence corruptible man has over the day-to-day functions of these bodies, that using the seminary as a means of requiring purchase of the books coming through their publishing house, would be an easy means of generating even further revenue for the seminary or the publisher.

I know, that's a jaded and cynical view, but we do live in a jaded and cynical world.

20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jerry Bridges is an author, not a book.

Anywho....I suppose the corollary is "if we cared about being in Christ we would read books by Jerry Bridges."