1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walmart, Costco and other companies rethink self-checkout

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by KenH, Dec 4, 2023.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    “But now, retailers are rethinking self-checkout. They have found that self-checkout leads to higher merchandise losses from customer errors and intentional shoplifting — known as “shrink” — than human cashiers ringing up customers.

Shrink has been a growing problem for retailers, who have blamed shoplifting for the increase and called for tougher penalties. But retailers’ self-checkout strategies have also contributed to their shrink problems.”

- rest at Walmart, Costco and other companies rethink self-checkout | CNN Business

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Roy Kling

Roy Kling Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I refuse to use them.

What's next? This?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm. The Highland California Walmart took out the 20 items or less check outs and replaced them with self checkout.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They did the same thing here; but it was part of basically a total remodeling of the store - pretty much moved everything around into different places with different layouts - that started months ago and just finished up about six weeks ago. So, it was obviously planned months and months ago before any rethinking about self-checkout took hold. Also, I would think that "shrink" would be less of a problem in small towns like where I live than in larger cities.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like self checkout....but that's because I hate shopping. Most of the time if I go to a store I only get a few items and hate standing in line (I get that feeling you get in a traffic jam, only with carts instead of cars).

But 90% of the time I use self checkout because I shop online.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL… what management incorrectly assumed that self checkouts were good for business. Bunch of dummies!

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    At Kroger they just took out a section of self-check stations and replaced it with a self-check out with a conveyor belt.

Now....I like the little self-checkouts (like for a few items). But not for entire carts of groceries.