1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walter Martin points out that the Adventist denomination is not a cult. Continued

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Challenge for Y1 -- try to get yourself to "see" the details and affirm them or admit you reject your own Baptist Confession of Faith in section 19.

(Hint: it is not titled the Adventist Confession of Faith - and it cannot be blamed on Ellen White -- your two favorite options so far)

===========================================
    19. The Law of God

1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the Ten Commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

3. Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

4. To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

5. The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it.

6. Although true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be justified or condemned by it, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, because as a rule of life it informs them of the will of God and their duty and directs and binds them to walk accordingly. It also reveals and exposes the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts and lives, and using it for self-examination they may come to greater conviction of sin, greater humility and greater hatred of their sin. They will also gain a clearer sight of their need of Christ and the perfection of His own obedience. It is of further use to regenerate people to restrain their corruptions, because of the way in which it forbids sin. The threatenings of the law serve to show what their sins actually deserve, and what troubles may be expected in this life because of these sins even by regenerate people who are freed from the curse and undiminished rigours of the law. The promises connected with the law also show believers God's approval of obedience, and what blessings they may expect when the law is kept and obeyed, though blessing will not come to them because they have satisfied the law as a covenant of works. If a man does good and refrains from evil simply because the law encourages to the good and deters him from the evil, that is no evidence that he is under the law rather than under grace.

7. The aforementioned uses of the law are not contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but they sweetly comply with it, as the Spirit of Christ subdues and enables the will of man to do freely and cheerfully those things which the will of God, which is revealed in the law, requires to be done.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    "for the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable". (Romans 11:29) Oops! you must have missed that one....

Maybe you should stay away from parables when forming your doctrine opinions. ;)

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 18 is specifically about forgiveness revoked.

32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. 35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

Indeed -- Christ shows us the "fully forgiven" about whom it is said "I forgave you ALL" and yet due to subsequent actions of the "fully forgiven" -- they experience forgiveness revoked. until he should pay all that was due

Question for the reader -- In your POV is there such a thing as "Salvation where you pay your own debt of sin" -- having been "forgiven all" he then had to "repay all".. OR is Christ simply mistaken in your POV?

OSAS does not survive the sola-scriptura test in Matthew 18 nor in Romans 11 nor in Ezekiel 18 (nor even Matthew 6)

You are quoting the chapter that says the chosen people - Israel FELL and would only be grafted in again IF they did not "continue in unbelief" -- you knew that right?
    20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.

Romans 11
    19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

And you think that refutes what Christ teaches in Matthew 18???
    32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him. 35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother his trespasses.”

Pardon me while I repeatedly point to this flaw in your proposal

#23 BobRyan, Mar 11, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never have done that, its just that you take biblical responses to EW as being "personal. my own opinions"

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were teaching that once one was saved, still were under the moral aspects of the Law, but NOT as in keeping the Sabbath!

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The number "Ten" comes to mind.

How is your counting skill holding up when it comes that number "Ten" for the "Ten" Commandments?

Or have you supposed that the text of the Baptist Confession of Faith refers to them as "the NINE Commandments" OR the "Ten - minus 1 Commandments"??

Careful how you answer that one unless you have actually read the document on that point.

Because I have read it.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am not aware that you have made any "biblical responses" to Ellen White... would you mind pointing me to one?

What I have seen you do is come up with come creative writing when I post some scripture - and then try to find a way to "blame it on Ellen White".

Were we simply "not supposed to notice"??

8. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    9 of the 10 Commandments were reissued unto the Christians now under the NC, but the Sabbath was not!

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Her heretical viewpoints have been address here before by myself and others!

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I have seen lots of creative writing and ranting -- sure.

But you said you were giving "biblical responses" and not merely "creative writing".

I was not aware that was going on - so if you wouldn't mind pointing me to one.. that might help.

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is you "quoting you" -- but in your earlier response you claimed you were making a statement about what is actually 'in the text' of the Baptist Confession of Faith... so now would be good time to quote them saying what you wish they said above.

Until then - section 19 still refers to the TEN and argues for the SAME law given to Adam "the TEN Commandments" being given at Sina AND being written on the heart under the New Covenant.

Details matter.

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Baptists who framed the 1689 were all agrreing to there being now still a day reserved unto the Lord to be kept by Christians, but saw Sunday as being now that day! Do you agree with them?

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Agree that was their claim -- but they specifically point to the TEN Commandments as still binding and as being included in the moral law of God - of the NEw Covenant. They don't use your "nine commandments" idea.

#33 BobRyan, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Does this just apply to Israel or all believers?

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What gifts are being spoken of in the text?

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 18 is specifically about forgiveness revoked.

Indeed -- Christ shows us the "fully forgiven" about whom it is said "I forgave you ALL" and yet due to subsequent actions of the "fully forgiven" -- they experience forgiveness revoked. until he should pay all that was due

Question for the reader -- In your POV is there such a thing as "Salvation where you pay your own debt of sin" -- having been "forgiven all" he then had to "repay all".. OR is Christ simply mistaken in your POV?

OSAS does not survive the sola-scriptura test in Matthew 18 nor in Romans 11 nor in Ezekiel 18 (nor even Matthew 6)

You are quoting the chapter that says the chosen people - Israel FELL and would only be grafted in again IF they did not "continue in unbelief" -- you knew that right?
    20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either.

Romans 11
    19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

And you think that refutes what Christ teaches in Matthew 18???

Pardon me while I repeatedly point to this flaw in your proposal

The gift of being "broken off and cast away"??? -- yet "grafted in again IF" they do NOT continue in unbelief. (you know.. the actual text of scripture in the post)

Romans 11

John 1:11 "He came to His OWN and His OWN received Him not"

Mattnew 23
    37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

1 Thess 2
    14 For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, 15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, 16 hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    all believers according to the text - using Israel as "the example" and warning to them.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    They agreed that all TEN of the TEN Commandments are included in the moral law of God to this very day... do you agree with them?

19. The Law of God

1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the Ten Commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

3. Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

4. To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

5. The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it.

6. Although true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be justified or condemned by it, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, because as a rule of life it informs them of the will of God and their duty and directs and binds them to walk accordingly. It also reveals and exposes the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts and lives, and using it for self-examination they may come to greater conviction of sin, greater humility and greater hatred of their sin. They will also gain a clearer sight of their need of Christ and the perfection of His own obedience. It is of further use to regenerate people to restrain their corruptions, because of the way in which it forbids sin. The threatenings of the law serve to show what their sins actually deserve, and what troubles may be expected in this life because of these sins even by regenerate people who are freed from the curse and undiminished rigours of the law. The promises connected with the law also show believers God's approval of obedience, and what blessings they may expect when the law is kept and obeyed, though blessing will not come to them because they have satisfied the law as a covenant of works. If a man does good and refrains from evil simply because the law encourages to the good and deters him from the evil, that is no evidence that he is under the law rather than under grace.

7. The aforementioned uses of the law are not contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but they sweetly comply with it, as the Spirit of Christ subdues and enables the will of man to do freely and cheerfully those things which the will of God, which is revealed in the law, requires to be done.

============================

Some Baptists also agree that the Bible has 66 books in it... do you agree with them??

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, but NONE of them were agreeing with the Sda as saturday Sabbath was still required to be kept!

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hint: Notice how that post ended??

"Some Baptists also agree that the Bible has 66 books in it... do you agree with them??"

That "ending" of my post was placed there - assuming you do not actually read the posts - and anticipating the rabbit trail that some might wish to use.

"Some Baptists also agree that the Bible has 66 books in it.."

"
    Yes, but NONE of them were agreeing with the Sda as saturday Sabbath"

It is nonsensical
    - to argue that

The fact that SDAs and Baptists agree that the Bible has 66 books "is not changed" by the fact that Baptist reject the Bible statement on the Sabbath being the 7th day of the week, or might wish to "edit" it to be week-day-1

SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist"
    to find out that the Bible as 66 books in it.
    SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist" to find out that the Ten Commandments are in the moral law of God

The fact that the Baptist Confession of Faith AGREES WITH SDAs that God's TEN Commandemnts - all TEN are binding on the saints in both NT and OT -- AND are written on the heart under the NEW Covenant is not "a problem for SDAs"... period.

It is a problem for you.

IF you read the Catholic Catechism - IT TOO - argues for ALL TEN of the TEN Commandments applicable to the saints in both OT and NT.

So also does Pope John Paul II affirms this about "the TEN Commandments" not "the NINE" but the "TEN"

SDAs do not have to "first be Catholic" to find out that the Bible affirms the TEN Commandments as included in the moral law of God.

Irrefutable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.