1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Walter Martin points out that the Adventist denomination is not a cult. Continued

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, the 1689 Confession does NOT state that Saturday Sabbath is now the obligation for the Christian to observe, correct?
    And far moreimportantly, it comes down to basically who do you trust? The Bible that states that we are no longer obligated to keeping the Sabbath as Israel did, or to EW herself?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Notice how that post ended??

"Some Baptists also agree that the Bible has 66 books in it... do you agree with them??"

That "ending" of my post was placed there - assuming you do not actually read the posts - and anticipating the rabbit trail that some might wish to use.

HInt: "Some Baptists also agree that the Bible has 66 books in it.."

"
    Yes, but NONE of them were agreeing with the SDA as saturday Sabbath"

It is nonsensical
    - to argue that in response to the 66 books of the Bible -- or to any other topic. As we all know

The fact that SDAs and Baptists agree that the Bible has 66 books "is not changed" by the fact that Baptist reject the Bible statement on the Sabbath being the 7th day of the week, or might wish to "edit" it to be week-day-1

SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist" to find out that the Bible as 66 books in it.
    SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist" to find out that the Ten Commandments are in the moral law of God

The fact that the Baptist Confession of Faith AGREES WITH SDAs that God's TEN Commandemnts - all TEN are binding on the saints in both NT and OT -- AND are written on the heart under the NEW Covenant is not "a problem for SDAs"... period.

It is a problem for you.

IF you read the Catholic Catechism - IT TOO - argues for ALL TEN of the TEN Commandments applicable to the saints in both OT and NT.

So also does Pope John Paul II affirms this about "the TEN Commandments" not "the NINE" but the "TEN"

SDAs do not have to "first be Catholic" to find out that the Bible affirms the TEN Commandments as included in the moral law of God.

Irrefutable.

Each time you are confronted by an irrefutable point that unravels your entire line of approach - you simply "repeat yourself"

Which basically asks that I "again" post the "irrefutable point"

SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist" to find out that the Bible as 66 books in it.
    SDAs do not have to "first be Baptist" to find out that the Ten Commandments are in the moral law of God

Yes.. "The Bible.."

Each time your argument needs to leave the Bible point and start ranting against Ellen White.. you lose the point.

For those unfamiliar with the number TEN - and the fact that FOUR is within that range of 1 to TEN... I have another post.

3. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you agree the irrevocable gift spoken of in the text is eternal life through belief in Jesus Christ.

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The gift of being "broken off and cast away"??? -- yet "grafted in again IF" they do NOT continue in unbelief. (you know.. the actual text of scripture in the post)

Romans 11
    19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

John 1:11 "He came to His OWN and His OWN received Him not"

Mattnew 23
    37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

1 Thess 2
    14 For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, 15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, 16 hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.[

only if the "broken off and cast away for unbelief" statement in Romans 11 - was your definition of "eternal life" ...

Do you actually have some text that says "broken off from the vine of Christ - for unbelief" is the definition of "eternal life"??

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So your standard is a text must say "eternal life" in order for it to be speaking of "eternal life"?

If I recall, you have pointed to Romans 11 many times in the past as one of your reasons for believing a person can lose their salvation/eternal life.

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 11
    19 You will say then, “Branches were broken off so that I might be grafted in.” 20 Quite right, they were broken off for their unbelief, but you stand by your faith. Do not be conceited, but fear; 21 for if God did not spare the natural branches, He will not spare you, either. 22 Behold then the kindness and severity of God; to those who fell, severity, but to you, God’s kindness, if you continue in His kindness; otherwise you also will be cut off. 23 And they also, if they do not continue in their unbelief, will be grafted in, for God is able to graft them in again. 24 For if you were cut off from what is by nature a wild olive tree, and were grafted contrary to nature into a cultivated olive tree, how much more will these who are the natural branches be grafted into their own olive tree?

Mattnew 23
    37 “Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39 For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ‘Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!’”

1 Thess 2
    14 For you, brethren, became imitators of the churches of God in Christ Jesus that are in Judea, for you also endured the same sufferings at the hands of your own countrymen, even as they did from the Jews, 15 who both killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and drove us out. They are not pleasing to God, but hostile to all men, 16 hindering us from speaking to the Gentiles so that they may be saved; with the result that they always fill up the measure of their sins. But wrath has come upon them to the utmost.[

If creative writing could make all those texts above mean "eternal life" -- then Is it your claim that in Romans 11 Paul is telling Christians to "fear" lest they obtain eternal life????

Romans 11

Agreed. I think that is accurate

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Excellent! , now that the deflecting and stalling is done, back to my original point.

We agree that the gift spoken of in Romans 11 is salvation/eternal life. So why would Paul say the gift of salvation/eternal life is irrevocable?

8. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The 10 Commandments are indeed the revealed moral code of God unto us, but we are saved by Grace alone thru faith alone, and once saved , God expects us to obey Him, after salvation though, not as a means to keep it or merit it!
    God wants His people to observe still a day odf rest, either sat or Sun fine to Him!

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 11

Mattnew 23

1 Thess 2

If creative writing could make all those texts above mean "eternal life" -- then Is it your claim that in Romans 11 Paul is telling Christians to "fear" lest they obtain eternal life????

Romans 11

Agreed. I think that is accurate

I like it when I say "A" and you say "you just said A, but I prefer B" -- At least the gap is real. And not games in that scenario.

Nice - I was beginning to wonder when you would be done with that.

No we did not.

Because it is. Read the text that keeps getting posted and deal with the details in the scripture of Romans 11 and Matthew 23 (And Matthew 18)

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True -- and the Gospel solution to sin "writes the LAW of God on the heart and mind"

Even the Baptist Confession of Faith admits this.

So then saints do not "take God's name in vain -- all the way to the kingdom" because as Paul notes in 1 Cor 6 "Be not deceived" into thinking that will work.

Christ makes the same point in Matthew 18 for those "fully forgiven all" and in John 15 for 'every branch IN ME" and in Matthew 7 "by their fruits you shall know them".

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this is why you have been here for years and have not persuaded even one person to believe or even respect your pov. You are always changing your answers, could be you just make it up as you go along, anything to defend the indoctrinated pov rather than letting the Word shape and correct your beliefs, or you are simply confused and do not realize your own inconsistencies.

One positive thing you have done here on BB Bob (even though inadvertently) you have educated us all on the flawed expository teaching imposed on SDA members. This has been a valuable resource while teaching my students on how to avoid false teachings.

So I clearly showed you your flaw and tried to lead you into truth, but you resist and double speak. For one who keeps touting "details matter" and being "instructive" you certainly do not practice either.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In fact I have received many affirmations of respect and even adoption of my POV on BB in IM.

But the statement you make above is a great example of you "making stuff up" - engaged in "creative writing" when it is very obvious you have no basis at all for you wild assertions other than your own confidence that whatever you make up must be true.

That is why we have difficulty discussing a point - -because I find it hard at times to get you to "admit to the obvious".

Which usually is fine with me - since the "obvious" is in fact so clear that each time you post "creative writing" and I contrast it to the reality of what the Bible actually says -- it is merely "you" (and possibly 1 or two others) that has to pretend "not to notice" the details in the text. Not the rest of us.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    wrong - that is what you are doing.

What I do is give the answer
    Then you pretend not to read the details and spin it
    Then I REPOST the same answer again with the "detail" you missed highlighted.

You call that "making stuff up" -- only because of your "practice" of keeping a distance from the "details" in the posts as your way of promoting your argument "despite the reality of the details".

Obvious to the rest of us -- why is this not obvious to you??

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    A good summary of how I find your posts constantly seeking to ignore almost every detail in scripture on a given point. Romans 11 a great example - you have on tiny half-sentence you want to "snip" out to bend to fit your view - while ignoring every detail in the entire chapter EVEN though I highlight them "for you".

I have a discussion for your tiny-half-snip that you will "Allow" yourself to read in Romans 11.. but I am so stuck on your willingness to avoid entire paragraphs in the chapter that I cannot help reminding you of them.

When I point to scripture and the details in scripture you spin it as "flaw".

How "instructive" for the unbiased objective Bible student.

Could not ask for a more clear statement and contrast.

This has been a valuable resource while teaching my students on how to avoid false teachings.

No .. you did not.

What you did was ignore almost every detail in Romans 11 that does not fit your bias - and point out that you "need" to only talk about one-snip-half-sentence because it lends itself to bend-and-wrench.

Were that actually true - you would be in a great position to "point out all the details" in the texts I keep quoting for you from the very chapter YOU bring up. Sadly that is not what you do at all.

Consistently your "solution" is to "ignore every detail" in the actual text - and then "pretend" that only an SDA would "notice the detail" that I keep posting.

How "instructive" for the unbiased objective Bible student.

Now you insist you are "happy" with that contrast.

And frankly - so am I -- which is why I keep this up. I just can't figure out why you see it as a positive.

The puzzling part -- is that you seem to know "not" to do what you are doing on these threads with me -- when you were debating with Calvinists.. Then it was "you" that was pointing out every detail in the chapter quoted.. how is it you can switch to "avoid the chapter at all costs except for one half-sentence" mode on these threads?

And how is it that you think we cannot all see this??

#54 BobRyan, Mar 15, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Who are the "us" you speak of? SDAs? All the "us" on this board reject your "forgiveness revoked" false teaching. So all you are accomplishing here is your own undoing, peeling back of the SDA onion and revealing your boxed in beliefs which are contrary to Sola Scriptura. You are forced to believe as EGW/SDA tells you to believe, there is no room for SS.

Tell "us" why "we" reject "your" bible study on "forgiveness revoked"? Can you give an answer why ONLY SDA, after centuries of Christian preachers/teachers, now teach/preach "forgiveness revoked"?

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Another great example of paying almost no attention at all to the "details" in the post you are responding to. I did not claim "the rest of us" all agree with whatever doctrine I happen to be posting .

What I said was "the rest of us" can see that you are avoiding the details in the post, details in the text... selecting out a tiny half-snip and relying on ignoring every highlighted quote of the text you are supposedly responding to.

That is not a compelling form of response and we both know it .. no way to blame that poor strategy "on Ellen White" or "on SDAs" -- though I am sure you will give it shot. (which by the way - is another "new trick" for you.. you did not in the past resort to quickly to vitriol and acrimony instead of actual substance in your posts. There are only 2 or 3 other posters on this board that I know of doing such things)

Simply going on a creative-writing rant proves nothing. I prefer the actual truth on that detail.
    Your method of ignoring the doctrinal statements of a given denomination to then accuse them of whatever comes to your mind -- was already debunked.

I take it that this is where you explain that "Methodists do not exist" and that the NT text "does not exist"

Or maybe you would relent and begin to Welcome "Arminian doctrine"

#56 BobRyan, Mar 15, 2018
  17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you are saying "forgiveness revoked" is not an SDA held belief?

Give me one example, just one, of any denomination or sect preaching "forgiveness revoked" and we will take it from there.

18. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

True. As for the latter matter, keeping/guarding [etc] is not earning, it is retaining that which is given freely.

Scripture [KJB]? Will you quote Romans 14 KJB, and abuse it, since it speaks of what "one man esteemeth" among men? It is dealing with days of fasting/feasting [eating and not eating days], and not to judge one another over which day was better to do those things as the Jews did [Luke 18:12 KJB].

Luke 16:15 KJB - And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.​

God esteems His Holy 7th Day the Sabbath, which is His rest:

Job 23:12 KJB - Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.

Psalms 119:126 KJB - It is time for thee, LORD, to work: for they have made void thy law.

Psalms 119:127 KJB - Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.

Psalms 119:128 KJB - Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.​

As for the 66 books, this too, is found in scripture itself [KJB], as it is in the sanctuary, 6 loaves on the left, 6 loaves on the right, 66 [bread and the word, linked], also see the Candlestick itself, count the flowers, knops, etc, and it comes to 66, for the Word is a Lamp unto my feet. The OT, is also 39, which is the standard of judgment, 40-1 [forty stripes save 1].

#58 One Baptism, Mar 15, 2018
  19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I am saying that we like Methodists -- are Arminian, we believe in "free will" even AFTER one gets saved. So by definition as a denomination we fully accept the teaching of Christ in Matthew 18 on "forgiveness revokes" as well as the teaching of Paul in Romans 11 on salvation revoked and also found in Hebrews 6 and in Ezek 18 and in Christ's statement in John 15 and in Paul's teaching in 1Cor 6 etc.

You know "the Bible" -- which as we all know "cannot be blamed on SDAs". just because someone "needs" to ignore the details in those texts - does not mean that they can claim all Methodists are actually "SDAs" since only "SDAs notice those Bible details" .

To which inexplicably we get this following response

How is it that the "detail" that I keep mentioning Methodists still does not look to you like "another denomination" besides SDA??

(of course United Methodists, Catholics, and Orthodox Christians all allow for the Bible texts on "forgiveness revoked" so maybe 1.3 billion Christians) -- and also "Assemblies of God" , (And I think also the Church of England).

There is a Feb 2015 Article in Christianity Today on Ben Carson and Seventh-day Adventists - that says the SDA denomination is the 5th Largest Christian denomination in the world. So the "Short Answer" to your Question is that the SDA denomination AND all denominations in that list LARGER than the SDA denomination -- accept Matthew 18 doctrine on forgiveness revoked instead of turning a blind eye to it.

(Yet another weak point in the OSAS camp - not sure why you even bring it up)

... but I was hoping you would tolerate having an actual Bible discussion on this doctrine.

-- are you familiar with "free will" and the Arminian teaching on that point??

Are we even getting "close' to the point where you can look at the details in your own Romans 11 chapter that you brought into this???

#59 BobRyan, Mar 15, 2018
  20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We both know that I never say that in my constant affirmations of Christ's Matthew 18 doctrine on forgiveness revoked.

Why even go there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.