1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wanting to move out and live on my own--finally

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by evenifigoalone, May 26, 2020.

1. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mainly, looking for advice on how to go about this. What do I need to do to prepare, like.....

I already know where I want to go. The place has a waiting list of like two years or more, so I have plenty of time to prepare.
    What I've got so far is:
    1. Need my own car
    2. Need some basic appliances
    3. May need to buy my own furniture if the apartment isn't furnished already

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I suggest the WAS program. Work and save. Try to keep debt to a minimum.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

1. Get yourself on a budget.
    2. Get yourself fully independent from others, even setting aside what your rent and utilities will be in a bank account to see if you can live on what you make. So if your rent will be $600 a month and utilities another $100, put $700 a month into a separate bank account that you won't touch. This will help you to build up the 2-3 months of living expenses in the bank. A better goal than 2-3 months is 3-6 months.
    3. If you make enough money to support yourself, save up at least 2-3 months of living expenses for emergencies. Also create a $1000 emergency fund. (Dave Ramsey's recommendations and very good ones).
    4. If you don't make enough money to support yourself, get a second job or a new first job. Your income needs to exceed your expenses in order to be able to make it on your own.
    5. Find yourself a car (that you had already budgeted for) that fits with your budget.
    6. Put the word out for specific things you are looking for. "I need a couch and a table and chairs. Does anyone have any that they are looking to rehome?" You'll be surprised how many things you can get for free or nearly free!
    7. Move on out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Avoid spending money on unnecessary purchases, starting now.

Resist the temptation to order merchandise online (e.g. Amazon).

And remember: the more "stuff" you acquire now, the more you'll have to take with you on moving day.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One thing I have learned - you don’t always WANT what you think you want! If there is something (electronics, appliance, gadget, whatever), lay-off buying it for a couple of weeks to a month, and in MANY cases you will find that you no longer desire “it”.
    I speak from experience, cuz I have wasted scads of $ over my 83 years, & it’s amazing how many “gotta haves” I never got in my last 30+/- years.
    Even so, there have been exceptions, but rare!
    Good luck on you up-coming adventures.:)

6. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you live somewhere expensive and metropolitan? I’ve never had to wait 2 years for an apartment. So, right off the bat, I probably can’t provide any helpful advice because it seems like your situation is much different than mine ever was.

I wouldn’t look to move into public housing. People I see starting out on the public dole never seem to get out. Find a place and a way to make real money first.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Annsni.... long time no see. How are you and family?

8. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bottom line: work and save. Repeat. ;)

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’m a Raiders fan as well!

• Like Like x 1
  10. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Committment to Excellence."

• Like Like x 1
  11. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm beginning to think I'll stay with my mom, cuz she's going to need me when she starts aging. She's in her late 50s and already has mutliple health issues, and already struggles with her full time job due to her health issues. I think I should stick around for the rest of her life, and then I can think about moving out when she isn't around anymore. She'll need someone to take care of her.

12. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I moved back with my mother 4 years ago.

I said that "I moved out when I was 19 and didn't expect to move back in when I was [then] 55".

I will just say this. That's sacrificial on your part. And you should still heed the advice of all the previous posters. "Work and save" regardless of your living situation.

Make and stick to a budget regardless of where you live and with whom you live. Your mother should do the same.

• Friendly Friendly x 1