1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was It Possible For Jesus To Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Darn, SG running out of time, rabbit trail questions aside, ;)
    ...and "Fallen nature" as defined, I was anxiously awaiting SovereignGrace's evidence that Jesus Christ's true full humanity is a myth or otherwise He was born sin-filled? :Whistling

Maybe TC can help him out? :Whistling

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you make a false assertion don't expect an answer.

3. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, but I can't help it if sticking to the question and defining terms messes up your guy's debate style...

4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, probably just a coincidence that the 4 people trying to refute the definition of the true full humanity of Christ happen to be on the same side of this issue. :D

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, but nary a word of Scripture jives with the notion that there is a "fallen" human nature (as opposed to an "un-fallen" one). The assumption is that human nature in its present state constitutes sin itself, but it is not exactly a biblical teaching if you know what I mean. :Wink

6. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, did the first Adam represent the last Adam or vice versa? Its not a rabbit trail, but very salient to the subject at hand.

7. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I asked him a very salient question and he retorted with foolishness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, did the first Adam represent the last Adam or vice versa?

9. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As soon as Adam and Eve heard God's voice after rebelling against Him, they left lickety-split. They knew they had sinned and fled. That, imo, constitutes a fallen human nature. Before sin, there was no need of running and hiding, as they were in daily communion with God.

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question does not even make logical sense dude, did the “Adam” (humanity) before the fall need representation before he even sinned and was sent back to ground that he came from? Did that Adam need to now put forth his hand and take from the tree of life? Jesus came to save those who were lost, to provide the way, was pre-fallen Adam lost? Your question dodges the subject and is merely an attempt to avoid defining the true human nature of Jesus Christ, as well as a blatant fallacious effort to avoid all the evidence I have given to support the orthodox and scriptural definitions to support that true nature Christ came in, and is indeed a doubly fallacious effort to produce a rabbit trail tactic while trying to reason toward a conclusion that amounts to a heretical view of Jesus Christ nature being a mere illusion of true humanity and sadly discounts the work of Christ to overcome sin in that nature.

I‘ve asked you to refute my (and the orthodox/scriptural) definition of humanity or define yours according to the baseless and unsupported conclusion you need to create about the nature of Christ to be pre-fallen “Adam” (humanity) in order to protect your systematic theology presuppositions, but your only focus is to desperately try to fabricate and come up with a definition of “Adam” that was before even the need of redemption.

Jesus was before Adam (humanity) period. He came through the Holy Spirit in real time in the flesh and blood form of true humanity that needed redemption as the seed of Abraham to fulfill the promise in faith. In faith and perfect obedience to the Father He overcame the death of Adam (humanity) in the true human nature but your conclusion would have Him in a meaningless quest to save some pre-fallen Adam with a nature that had not yet died and was rather now subject to a nature with acquired attributes that could not avoid but to sin and remain lost.

It seems merely another illusion you carry is that you have some kind of gotcha question above…:rolleyes:

You have more problems than I can count with your efforts. To start with…:Rolleyes

…nevermind, if you ain’t got the point yet there is no sense in spending my time repeating myself, I'm going to go wash my Jeep. :Smile

11. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So your non-answer is your answer. O O

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The first man, Adam, became a living being. The last Adam became a life-giving spirit. But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. The first man, Adam, was from the earth, a man of dust. The second man is from heaven. As was Adam, the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust. And as is Christ, the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

13. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Adam predates Christ? Christ is not eternal?

• Like Like x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. They certainly did sin. But if the nature of things is correct (that flesh yields flesh, spirit yields spirit) and the fruits evidence the nature (for example see Matthew 7, Galatians 5, James 1, etc.) then the Fall (Adam's sin through which death entered the world) demonstrated that Adam was also created short of the glory of God. He yielded to his nature rather than God's will.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does the following imply that Adam predates Christ or that Christ is not eternal?

1 Cor 15: 45 Thus it is written, “The first man Adam became a living being”; the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven.49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

Of course not. It is not the spiritual that is first but the nature, and then the spiritual (here we are speaking of the resurrection of the body). We are born of flesh - i.e., we have born the image of Adam, but we will also bear the image of Christ.

16. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They were made sinless, they were also made fallible.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My personal belief (what I believe Scripture says of man) is that man, while created in God's image, was also created less than God. When we rely on our own righteousness (as Adam did in the Garden) we sin. We simply fall short of the glory of God. We can do what is right in our own eyes and still be wrong in terms of God's standard. When we take our eyes off of God to look upon ourselves then we sin. Not because we have a fallen human nature but because our created nature is less than God.

My point is that nowhere does Scripture state or imply that Adam's nature itself changed except perhaps when he "became like God" knowing good and evil. And even here I don't think the Bible is speaking of a change in nature.

Part of our separation on this issue is one of definition and expression (we largely believe the same regarding human nature as it is now) but another part is legitimate disagreement. Such is life.

18. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Adam was made in the image of God, and we are made in the marred image of God through Adam.[Genesis 5:3] I believe that when that image became marred, it not only afected the outer fleshly man, but also the spiritual inner man. The fall of Adam caused us all to be dead in sin. That, imo, shows a change in our nature as well.

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The prohibition on murder is based on man being created in God's image in Genesis 9:6. 1 Corinthians 11:7 also reaches back to this principle in regards to the family structure (as man, i.e., male, being created in God's image). James 3:9 also reaches back to the Imageo Dei when James condemns cursing man because we are made in God's image.

When we say that Adam had a son in his (Adam's) image this is not, IMHO, a shift from man being made in the image of God (as evidenced by the passages I just provided). Rather, this is what it means that "like begats like". We are all sons of Adam, made in the image of God as Adam was created in the image of God.

That said, I understand the teaching that the Fall marred the image of God in mankind. Love becomes lust, justness becomes anger, etc. We see the same things within humanity. You attribute it to a "fallen nature" or a "marred image of God" while I attribute it to turning to one's own righteousness (to human nature) rather than to God.

The difference, I suppose, is that where you see an inability based on a fallen nature I see an inability based on the human will. We look to ourselves, our human natures, when we should be looking to God.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.