1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was It Possible For Jesus To Sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by tyndale1946, Jul 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This OP is now open for discussion but I will not give my thoughts on it at this time but I will wait to see where this question goes... So who wants to take the floor and get this ball rolling?... Brother Glen:)

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it was not possible. As God he is unchanging, and to sin would be a change in his sinless nature.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1 John 1: 5 Pretty much gives to us the biblical answer...

• Like Like x 2
  4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    To deny the Impeccability of Christ is to deny His Deity. Period.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zactly!

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and to-day, yea and for ever. Heb 13

• Like Like x 3
  6. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't express it as some of the learned brethren do but this will suffice... I agree with what everyone says and usually post scripture but it seems to escape at this time and will add it later and I agree with the following comments... Brother Glen:)

Apostles Paul’s intended meaning in 2 Corinthians 5:21 is that Jesus was always without sin actually, but at the cross He was made to be sin for us judicially. While Jesus never committed a sin personally, He was made to be sin for us substitutionally.10 Just as the righteousness that is imputed to Christians in justification is extrinsic to them, so the sin that was imputed to Christ on the cross was extrinsic to Him and never in any sense contaminated His essential nature. As one Bible expositor put it, “The innocent was punished voluntarily as if guilty, that the guilty might be gratuitously rewarded as if innocent.”11

In a nutshell, then, the whole redemptive plan is one of substitution—and without such substitution there can be no salvation. It was by His utterly selfless sacrificial death on the cross that our sinless Savior—the unblemished Lamb of God—paid the penalty for our sins and thereby canceled the debt of sin against us, thus wondrously making possible our reconciliation with God. The redeemed of God can only respond in exultation and praise: “To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood…to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever” (Rev. 1:5–6).

—Ron Rhodes

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    If it were not theoretically possible for Jesus to sin, the Bible would not say Jesus experienced temptation. You probably can't be tempted to do something that is inherently impossible for you to do. And if Jesus couldn't sin even theoretically, why did Satan waste his time trying to tempt Jesus when it was impossible? Satan is an opportunistic predator; he wouldn't bother working on people he doesn't think he can capture. We are talking only about what could have happened, since Jesus never actually sinned.

I admit I find it very, very difficult to visualize even a hypothetical scenario of Jesus actually giving in to temptation; but that's okay. Since He didn't, I really don't think God requires me to think about it anyway.

8. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's a thought from J. Vernon McGee in his commentary on Hebrews:

"Again I ask the question: Could Jesus have sinned? The answer is no, He could not have sinned. What then was the purpose of the testing? I feel that I can answer that best with an illustration....Jesus, you see, was tested to prove that He was who He claimed to be. That is very important. Actually, if Jesus of Nazareth had sinned, it would not have proven that God in the flesh could sin. Rather, it would have proven that Jesus of Nazareth was not God in the flesh. The testing proved that He was God in the flesh. Because of who He is, He cannot sin. And the writer of the Hebrew epistle adds that He was tested in all points like we are, yet was without sin (see Heb. 4:15)."

McGee, J. V. (1991). Thru the Bible commentary: The Epistles (Hebrews 1-7) (electronic ed., Vol. 51, p. 52). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. tyndale1946

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus of Nazareth was in communication 24/7 with the Father... He is a man of prayer and as scripture states he is now making intercession for us with his Father 24/7.... We have a song we sang in church and maybe some of you know it called "He Prayed"... No matter what and in all situations Jesus of Nazareth was a praying man... He took no action until praying to the Father first... If one of you brethren would post this tune, I would really appreciate it... Brother Glen:)

He Prayed!

Jesus went upon the mountain that He might commune with God,
    He prayed, He prayed,
    On the hills of old Judea which my blessed Savior trod,
    He prayed, He prayed.

Refrain:
    He prayed, He prayed;
    Jesus prayed unto the Father ev’ry day,
    From the manger to the cross;
    Not a moment’s time was lost,
    Jesus prayed onto the Father all the way.

2 Out upon the rolling waters when the storm His vessel tossed,
    He prayed, He prayed;
    Then the winds and waves obeyed Him and He safely went across,
    He prayed, He prayed. [Refrain]

3 All alone while in the garden where He sweat great drops as blood,
    He prayed, He prayed;
    Not my will but Thine be done, my Father, was His pray’r to God,

4 When upon the cross of Calv’ry in His agony and pain,
    He prayed, He prayed;
    That the Father might forgive them whom the Son of God had slain,

10. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In light of this… If Paul hadn’t said it the way he did, I’m sure everyone would be yelling, “Blasphemy!” about anyone who would say God could become sin, and would be even more outraged at the idea that he became sin.

11. SovereignGrace

SovereignGrace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him."[2 cor. 5:21]

He became sin when He was imputed our sins. When He ingested the cup of His Father's wrath, He was dealt with as if you or I was standing before the Father.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And NO!! The Christ could not have sinned. " I and the Father are one.”[John 10:30]

This does not mean the Son and the Father are the exact same Person, but that they are One in harmony, One in essence. If God the Father can not sin...and He can not...then God the Son can not sin, either. The Christ taking on human form did not change that.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And yet there is one who here who is doing this. Repeatedly. :(

14. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Denying impeccability is not to deny the Divinity of Christ.

It is just as easy to argue that asserting impeccability is Docetism.
    Neither one is truly heretical.
    One's inability to grasp how something can be true which seems to deny a Cardinal rule of our own Theological constructs doesn't make it false.
    It means our Theology doesn't always easily reconcile something rather confusing.
    Join the club.

Apparently, according to most here, the sainted R.C. Sproul they so admire is an heretic.
    https://www.ligonier.org/blog/could-jesus-have-sinned/

Maybe Jesus was impeccable, although I see no Biblical evidence for it. I see plenty of Theological Constructs against it, but we shouldn't confuse a confession or a System of Thought for Biblical evidence.
    Neither view is necessarily heretical and both at least seek to be true to Scripture.

I.M.O.
    One view takes the testimony of Scriptures related to the topic more at face value and seeks to reconcile it with what we know about God's nature, and construct a Theology around it.
    One view takes a Theology and presses Scriptures which are not related to the question into service to explain away the ones which are related.

#14 HeirofSalvation, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. SovereignGrace

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RC Sproul was off his rocker concerning this, imo. And yes, its only my opinion. My opinion and $0.50 will get you a thimble full of java at Starbucks.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

lol...Starbucks is overrated anyway.
    That's a fair position, but the question which we must answer is whether he is "off his rocker" because our Theological presuppositions prevent the possibility or because the most relevant texts imply it?

In other words which is driving and shaping which?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Angel of the South

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please remind us what Docetism is. I've been taught the heresies, but have some memorized better than others--never mind, I looked it up. Oh. Docetism: erroneously believing Christ was not both fully divine and fully human, only fully divine.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means that whatever makes the father to be God, jesus has that very same quality/essence!

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was fully God, so can God actually commit a sin?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In thinking of what the sinless Son of God suffered for our sakes, I’m just now reminded of an old Rod Serling Night Gallery episode entitled “The Sins of the Fathers.” It was an excruciating take on an ancient funeral ritual called sin-eating, involving a first-timer no less. I’m not recommending anyone try to find it and watch it, as it’s rather horrific. But it makes me think all the more how humanly impossible to imagine what Jesus suffered in being made sin for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.