1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was MLK Jr. a Christian?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JonC, Jan 16, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have got to be kidding. If you claim students do not have to tell their teachers what the teachers want to hear, your credibility is in doubt.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you did not provide links so could read your citations in context. The one snippet you did provide, when read in context did not challenge Christ's divinity, but supported Christ's all in commitment to doing the will of God.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gave you the entire Letter from the Birmingham jail. I gave you the entire dissertation.

MLK openly denies Jesus is God.
    MLK would, due to his theology, be banned from posting on this board due to rejecting the Trinity.

4. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, a strawman without a quote. Yes, I have Jack, Bobby and Marty among my American heroes, along with Eisenhower, Nimitz, and FDR, plus those guys on Rushmore. And across the pond, I have high regard for Mr. Churchill.

OTOH, I have no regard for Robert E. Lee, the KKK, those that enacted the Jim Crow laws, and those who discriminated against those hard working Asians that did well on their SAT's.

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good Grief, of course Paul taught the resurrection, in fact he said if Christ has not risen from the grave, our faith is in vain.
    Folks, ask yourselves why these posters seek to attribute to me unbiblical beliefs, rather than provide quotes from MLK Jr from his sermons and letters?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nothing in the letter denies Jesus in God.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your credibility is in doubt by confusing learning technical ideas in school with seminary.

I attended a Christian college (undergrad). In biology you had to answer with the correct answer. BUT in theology you had to defend your view (they taught Christisn doctrine but we had a couple of atheists who defended their belief without suffering a poor grade).

I attended a Baptist seminary. Their teachings were in line with the SBC. But many held views that were not Baptist at all. They argued their beliefs and were not penalized.

It is obvious to any reader who attended seminary that you are clueless here.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting to me that Robert E Lee was opposed to slavery, saw it as a great evil and anticipated if left in place it would be the economic downfall of the South.

But that has nothing to do with MLK's accomplishments, his work as a civil rights leader, or the fact that his faith was an articulation of the anti-Christian doctrine of Crozer reconciled with traditional doctrine (thanks to Jones mentorship).

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does anyone think this fellow is so stupid he does not know how to goggle? Neither do I...

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Direct quote from the Letter:
    "In your statement you asserted that our actions, even though peaceful, must be condemned because they precipitate violence. But can this assertion be logically made? Isn't this like condemning the robbed man because his possession of money precipitated the evil act of robbery? Isn't this like condemning Socrates because his unswerving commitment to truth and his philosophical delvings precipitated the misguided popular mind to make him drink the hemlock? Isn't this like condemning Jesus because His unique God-consciousness and never-ceasing devotion to His will precipitated the evil act of crucifixion?"

Clearly, MLK is denying the deity of Christ Jesus. Your denial of what MLK said is interesting to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask yourself why you refused to read and comprehend the quotes I provided to you.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is obvious to any reader who went to school that you are denying the obvious to advance your bogus viewpoint.

13. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    All sizzle and no steak. MLK Jr expressed many Christian views in His sermons and letters.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, folks you cannot goggle a partial quote is not snippet is provided in "quotes."

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I addressed this bogus claim already, so why do these naysayers ignore the truth.

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Folks, beware of those who say nothing, but claim they already said it. :)

17. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course he did. So did Gandhi. So do many liberal pastor's who deny the deity of Christ Jesus.
    Van, Satan quotes scripture.

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL, every reading this can see my direct quotes in this thread that come from MLK. They can see my primary sources. I have hid nothing.
    How it is that you have missed them is the real question.

19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bogus claim?
    It's MLK who made the statement, Van.
    My goodness you are hard headed.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now this vicious poster compares MLK Jr to Satan. They have no shame, no evidence, only animosity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.