1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Was MLK Jr. a Christian?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by JonC, Jan 16, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another post without a quote supporting the slander from his sermons and letters.

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More addressing me, and running like mad from providing evidence from sermons and letters.

3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just admit you were given the full documents and provided the direct quote, showing you that MLK was non-trinitarian. It's fact. Stop claiming something that isn't true.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not to anybody who attended seminary.

But I will open it up to see.

I started a thread to discuss the topic.

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. MLK did express many Christian views.

You are missing the point.

MLK, while affirming the resurrection, denied the bodily resurrectionion.

MLK while affirming the "empty tomb" denied it was empty of Jesus' dead body.

MLK while affirming Christ as God's Son denied that Jesus was God incarnate.

MLK while denying the virgin birth....well.....MLK flat our denied the virgin birth and claimed it a mistranslation.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, now we’re getting somewhere. My post was chock full of direct quoting from an MLKJ sermon. It asked if you agreed verbatim with MLKJ on those points he made. Your post calls those beliefs unbiblical. Evidently, we agree that what MLKJ said in those quotes is unbiblical.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Guvnuh

Guvnuh Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again the empty claim but no evidence. I kid you not.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not in dispute, to claim students must tell their teachers what they want to hear with axiomatic.

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again assertions but no quote beneath each one substantiating the claim. You provided one snippet concerning "God conciousness" which did not support the claim MLK Jr believed Jesus was not God.

11. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are being stubborn and obstinate. MLK is quite clear and expressing his denial of the Trinity. You refuse the obvious. That is about you, not about us. MLK clearly denied the Trinity.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, that is juvenile thinking. You pretend MLK was a child when attending Crozer.

What is axiomatic is that you know you are wrong yet still insist on proving your faux ignorance.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. I provided two papers - one of MLK explaining what he meant with the term and another of him using the term. With the bodily resurrection much more has been provided.

That's fine, @Van . You do not care to know about MLK or his life. This is unfortunate because he was an extraordinary man.

Instead you only want to know what good grew our of his accomplishments.

So you worship the myth rather than knowing the history. It doesn't matter here, but that will cripple you in other areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For those who have never attended seminary, written a theological thesis, or taken a philosophy course:

When you submit a theological thesis it is evaluated based on how well you have used research to support your argument, and how effectively you have communicated your ideas.

Seminary is not about memorizing the schools positions and turning that in for a grade. It is about developing, communicating, and defending your own beliefs.

This is, obviously, something foreign to @Van . I suspect his education to be in a different type of discipline (science, engineering, ect.) where his comments may apply.

• Useful Useful x 2
  15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet again, no snippet quote where MLK Jr in a sermon or letter offers "denial of the Trinity."

So if you have no facts, run ans shout, flap your arms, all about. :)

16. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another post without a quote claiming all sorts of proof has been offered. Laughable.
    Then the claim I do not car to know about MLK Jr's life. I was alive all during the 1950"s and 60's! I have read his wife's biography. I can quote part of his "I have a dream" speech. And you have the unmitigated gall, the unabashed timerity to claim I do not care to know. Laughable.

17. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Notice his claim that students do not need to tell their teachers what the teachers want to hear? Imagine for a moment I submitted a paper to JOJ and did not provide a bibliography in his required format. Would I be marked down.

18. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are changing your story.

First your claim was that MLK had to write his thesis to state the theory Crozer taught, that those were not MLK's beliefs but what he wrote to get a good grade.

Now you are saying MLK had to use the correct format for his paper.

Yes. In seminary students have to use a specific format.

No. A theological thesis is not restating the beliefs of the seminary. It is stating and defending your own belief on a particular topic.

MLK reconciled liberalism with Christianity and came up with heresy. He credited Crozer and Jones with his faith (Crozer for the social gospel, Jones with helping him to merge it with Chriatianity).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop claiming I mean "B" when I write "A."
    I said students must provide what the teacher wants.
    You are familiar with the process of multiple submittals of a thesis until the teacher is satisfied? And the process includes an Advisor and Second Reader signing the final submittal?

#119 Van, Jan 22, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2023
  20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please stop changing your story.

You said that MLK had to lie about his beliefs to get a good grade.

Then you offered proof in that colleges require a certain format for bibliographies.

Now your proof is multiple submittal?

The submission process is to clean up writing-format errors, elimate presuppositions (make sure the student is legitimately defending his or her point, avoiding that type of error), and legitimate use of sources.

It eliminates errors we see daily in debates here (not actually supporting a conclusion, logical errors, "plain meaning", "normal meaning", ect.).

Look, @Van , believe what you want. Any member here who has written a theological thesis, or a thesis in literature or philosophy, knows you are wrong.

I'm not saying Crozer taught in that way, but addressing the fact that you are wrong in your statement regarding having to restate a professors views to get a good grade in seminary.

MLK may have, as you imply, lacked character while attending Crozer and Boston University. He may have lied for his own gain. I just do not see that he was that kind of man.

MLK seems to me to be a man who had the character to stand for what he believed was right.

Do you have proof he was a fraud?

• Useful Useful x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.