1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Was the Serpent in Genesis 3 a Literal Snake?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Scripture More Accurately, Sep 25, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  3. Unsure

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think I am using "manifestation" in the usual way. Satan "appeared" to be one of the creatures in the Garden. Eve was fooled completely, she did not realize she was being led astray. But the harmless creature was not what it appeared to be, it was Satan in disguise.

Now it might not seem just to hold an animal accountable for an inadvertent action, but for a greater purpose (indicating the value of human life) God does hold animals accountable. If an ox kills a person, the ox is to be killed. Not because it did anything it knew was wrong, but to teach mankind about the value of human life.

Here we have an animal (all of that kind) being held accountable to teach mankind.

2. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. The Scripture specifies that humans were made in God's image, but it never says that angels were.

I do not ever remember reading any theological materials in all my seminary training that took the position that angels are in the image of God. Here are two articles that take somewhat differing positions:

Are Angels in the Image of God? - BJU Seminary

Were Angels Created in the Image of God?

3. Dwayne McDowell

Faith:
    Baptist

Dwayne: I am inclined to believe that the serpent in the garden was a real snake that had legs and could talk, and that he somehow conspired with satan to deceive Eve. If the serpent was satan himself in the form of a snake why would God punish real snakes for something they had no part in?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Broadly speaking, this has been my position for some time now.

God created serpents as good animals. He pronounced them as good when He declared that everything that He had made was very good.

For Him to later curse one of His very good creatures because another one of His creatures chose merely to appear in the same form as the very good creature and do evil while appearing in that form does not commend itself to me as something that a just God would do.

5. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You and @Dwayne McDowell my very well be correct in your conclusions. But I personally do not think there is enough evidence to make those conclusions. Just saying.

6. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is nothing in the text to indicate that it is not literal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What makes you think Satan has the power to do this?

8. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not think that he has that power. My statement was based on what some other people have either said or seem to be saying.

9. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Angels are sons of God and morally aware. Thus they can sin and are responsible. Animals cannot sin. If you're seminary taught you animals can sin, you're been mislead.

10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    My seminary did not teach me that. God's punishing the serpent shows that He did hold the serpent accountable for what it did.

11. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The angles have the power to assume the likeness of men. Satan was a powerful angle. What better way to be the master at deception.Demons are fallen angels and they are recorded to enter men and pigs. This is why I said that Satan entered the snake. He possessed the snake.
    MB

12. Calminian

Site Supporter

Well, then you'd have big problems with Paul.

Rom. 8:19 For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of the sons of God. 20 For the creation was subjected to futility, not willingly, but because of Him who subjected it in hope; 21 because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God. 22 For we know that the whole creation groans and labors with birth pangs together until now. ​

All creation was cursed because of Adam. All groan in anticipation of Christ who will restore all things.

13. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Entering a snake and possessing a real snake is very different from just appearing in a snake-like form. I believe that Satan did do something along the lines of the former, but I reject that he did do or could have done the latter.

14. Calminian

Site Supporter

And the Serpent is identified as Satan. Satan often uses instruments to do his mischief (for lack of a better word). God altered the instrument of the snake, but the snake itself does not feel this punishment. He is one of the most successful animals on the planet.

15. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    What Romans 8:19-22 teaches is different from the specific curse on the serpent. I do not have any problems with what Romans 8:19-22 teaches.

Genesis 3:14 was not a punishment imposed on the serpent because of Adam; it states directly that God told the serpent that it was being cursed because of what it had done.

16. Calminian

Site Supporter

And he likely was not the only only animals changed at the time of the Curse. We know thorns were given to some plants. We can infer that stingers and quills may have been added to some animals along with other defense/attack structures.

An interesting read: How Did Defense/Attack Structures Come About?

17. Calminian

Site Supporter

I've already affirmed the physically changes of the snake were in response to the devil's sin. You have not responded yet to my argument.

18. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree that there were likely many animals changed after the Fall. That article was a good read. Thanks.

19. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me as I have read the story Satan entered the snake. the reason the Snake was cursed is because the snake was a willing participant. Being possessed is by willingness or passiveness or not caring about it one way or the other. The reason is my opinion and, is not as far as I know scriptural.
    MB

20. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe that the physical changes were due to the devil's sin that he perpetrated through an unwilling instrument (the snake). I believe that both the snake and the devil were punished because both teamed up in some manner to do what was done.

• Like Like x 1