1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

We Will Not Bow Down

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by FollowTheWay, Feb 10, 2018.

1. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AT&T sued over layoffs—after promising more investment because of tax cut
    AT&T explanation of layoffs undercuts claim that net neutrality hurt investment.
    Jon Brodkin - 1/3/2018, 3:52 PM
    AT&T was sued last week by a workers' union that is trying to stop the telco from instituting what it calls a "massive layoff." Thousands of employees are reportedly being laid off by the company, which reported $39.7 billion in revenue and $6.4 billion in operating income last quarter.

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read the article? It says thousands are believed by union leaders to be in line to be laid off by AT&T. Not actually laid off yet, but believed to be potential lay offs. The article goes on to say that union officials in Indiana have identified 42 workers that will be laid off. FORTY TWO. These are people with attendance problems.

Meanwhile, 200,000 AT&T workers are receiving $1,000 bonuses because of the Trump tax cuts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

3. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I retired from AT&T and still have a lot of close friends there. The layoffs are real and happening now.

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article identifies DirecTV installation techs are being laid off because of declining demand for that product. This is called basic Econ 101--lowered demand for a product or service leads to cuts in production.

Or do you think a company should continue to employ idle workers whose skills are no longer in demand?

Meanwhile, 200,000 AT&T workers are receiving $1,000 bonuses because of the Trump tax cuts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of the new guys at the unit does satellite television install, and we talked a bit about it last weekend. He said the rate per job, rate for commercial install, and rate for training new guys has consistently been going down for a few years now.

6. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's compare a $1K bonus versus a $50K/yr. job lost. The bonus is equivalent to the salary of 4,000 employees for one year excluding benefits. Replacing full-time employees with contractors is done when the company needs their skills for a short time and then can easily fire them.

Not all DirectTV installation involves satellite dishes. DirectTV is the new product line replacing uVerse which is being phased out. Most DirectTV is not provided via satellite.

Also, the employees I've talked to about the current layoff have nothing to do with either one.

#66 FollowTheWay, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  7. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's consistent with all my statements about wages being flat or going down for the middle class.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A "bonus" is exactly what it says it is--a perk for employees that management feels they deserve above and beyond their usual wages. A $50K job in an area of declining demand is a money losing proposition. Throw in the attendance problems and I can understand why AT&T laid them off. Do you think AT&T should keep these people employed and have them sit around twiddling their thumbs?

Yes, because they don't need an ongoing person employed to do jobs that are temporary. And they don't have to pay FICA or Medicare taxes on their wages.

You're apparently talking about DirecTV Now, a streaming service that works on TV's with streaming hardware devices (Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV, etc.) that purchase the AT&T streaming app. There is about 1.2 million subscribers.

AT&T’s DirecTV and U-verse TV businesses were hammered in the third quarter of 2017, while the telco’s over-the-top DirecTV Now service delivered its biggest quarterly increase since launching less than a year ago.

The company reported a record quarterly loss of 385,000 traditional pay-TV subs, which AT&T blamed on increased competition from other pay-TV operators and over-the-top services, as well as implementing stricter credit standards and “hurricane disruptions.” That was partially offset by 296,000 net adds for the DirecTV Now service.

AT&T Loses Record 385,000 Traditional Pay-TV Subscribers in Q3, Posts Gains for DirecTV Now

No kidding. That's because the end users can connect to DirecTV Now with no assistance from AT&T install technicians.

9. FollowTheWay

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you're telling me why these people were fired.I'm saying they were fired and aren't the primary group I was talking about.