1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What are we expecting between Baptists and Roman Catholics?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Reformed, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That post was ridiculous actually. First, Lent practices have been observed since Apostolic times. Second, I never said it was found in the LBCF. I said that it was not in disagreement with LBCF and it isn't. There is nothing found within Lent that is out of accord with LBCF. Here is what the confession says and I will add bolding for emphasis, this is from 22.5 the same article where we find the RWP.

2. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the bigger problem is pharisaical Baptists who assume too much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard of a few Catholics who have adopted salvation through faith in Jesus Christ. A vast number of Catholics are Catholic by birth and culture, not by faith. This cultural Catholicism is not real faith but rather a need to belong to a group. 81% of Mexico announces themselves as Catholic, but how many really follow Jesus.

The same was true of protestantism in the U.S. People joined churches because it was the socially acceptable thing to do - not necessarily based on a living faith. I just think this dead faith is more prominent among the Catholics than it is the Baptists.

4. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am glad that we finally agree on something. Your post was ridiculous. Do not feel too bad about it. We all make mistakes.

As to rest of your post, you are trying desperately to scrape the bottom of the barrel for something that will bolster your position. I have already pointed out that Lent has no biblical warrant in this post, this post, and this post. Certain components of Lent are found in the Bible (prayer, fasting, good works), again, something I have pointed out here. Even though some of those components are in the Bible, they do not give warrant to the Roman Catholic observance of Lent.

Also, it was charitable of you to cite the 1689 Second London Baptist Confession of Faith out of its context. You quote 22.5, a wonderful paragraph on the subject of worship. However, you inadvertently missed the first paragraph of that chapter which reads:

22.1 The light of nature shews that there is a God, who hath lordship and sovereignty over all; is just, good and doth good unto all; and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served, with all the heart and all the soul, and with all the might. But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God, is instituted by himself, and so limited by his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imagination and devices of men, nor the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations, or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scriptures. (emphasis mine)

This is where the Regulative Principle of Worship traces its genesis. We are to worship God in the manner prescribed by Scripture. Lent is not prescribed by Scripture. It is obvious that nothing is going to change your mind. I am saddened by that but it is what it is.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes. I was one of them.

That was the hardest thing for me. I was raised by my mother's side of the family. They were 1st generation Italian Catholics. They were horrified that I left the Catholic Church.

Marty, I am not so sure about that. I am not a 20-something anymore. I see a rise in the Baptist genre of feel-good Christianity that has less of an emphasis on the authority of the Bible. Experience is trumping truth. It is an insidious thing that creeps up slowly. I am thankful for those churches that hold firm to the truth no matter what winds are blowing.

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was talking about your posts, definitely not mine.

I am fully aware of paragraph 1 in article 22. I still hold my position. I'm sure there are things you do in your church that are not explicitly spelled out in Scripture to the level you are trying to take it to.

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and snooty.... :)

8. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you meant my posts. I was using the rhetorical tool of sarcasm because sometimes it is the only fitting reply to someone who is being obtuse.

As to you holding to your position, that is fine. I will continue to call out error as I see it.

Soli Deo Gloria!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

9. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The question of Lent and similar observances is dealt with in Galatians 4:9-10 and Colossians 2:16-23 as I pointed out in the previous thread.
    The great question as it affects salvation is not whether one is using the right kind of bread (wafer??) or wine, but where one's faith is. Is it in Christ? In Him alone? If it is in one's baptism, the 'mass,' confession or any of the other 'sacraments,' or in Mary, praying the rosary or anything else, it is false faith. John 14:6; Acts of the Apostles 4:12.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is my main concern when it comes to Roman Catholic practices. You and I were once members of another online venue and there were members of that venue who became enamored with certain aspects of Roman Catholicism. Sadly, a few of them swam the Tiber. Having a birdseye view of those imperiling their faith is frightening. Is there any room for charity in these areas? Certainly. A lot of times all that is needed is gentle instruction. This is especially true for former Roman Catholics who have embraced biblical Christianity. I can tell you from experience that Roman Catholicism is as much cultural as it is theological. A former Roman Catholic will often face struggles in making a clean break. Patience is needed.

11. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Returning to (or maintaining) biblical worship has many benefits. First, we are worshipping in the manner God wants us to worship. Second, when we worship according to the biblical model, we are free from the contrivances of men and we are able to focus all our attention on meeting with God, and make no mistake, meeting with God is precisely what the church does during worship. There no longer is a Holy of Holies that God's people cannot approach. The Church has been gifted with the resident Holy Spirit who is present with God's people during worship. Believers are also sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, but during worship, the Spirit's function is to bring us nigh to God and God nigh to us.

While I have some personal issues with ARBCA, they have published an excellent white paper on biblical worship. You can read it here.

12. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is Baptism Necessary for Salvation?
    “Therefore, sacramental baptism is the only means given by our Lord that assures salvation.”
    In Praise of Holy Water
    “The priest makes holy water by adding exorcized salt to exorcized water.”

Catholic salvation: Baptism with holy water.

Baptist salvation: Baptism of the Holy Spirit.
    Baptist witness of salvation: Baptism with wholly water.

Enough said.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Funny in a good way. (Sad for Catholics though.)

14. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Once again you misrepresent the Catholic teaching on the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wesley Briggman

Wesley Briggman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not intentionally "misrepresent the Catholic teaching on the issue."

I sourced the Catholic positions on how holy water is concocted and the results of baptism.

Please take this opportunity to set me straight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let's say next January your Pastor gets up before the congregation and says: "Brothers and Sisters, I fear we have become too entangled in this world and to that end I have decided that beginning next Sunday and for the next 40 days we will fast, and pray, and give alms. On the first Sunday at the end of that 40 days we will have a solemn service recognizing the death and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ. If this goes well, I think maybe we ought to do that very same thing next year, and the year following that". And your response would be?

#36 Adonia, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  17. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Let us first go to the place where you got your information.The first paragraph starts out with listing some of the relevant passages concerning baptism.

Jesus said, "I solemnly assure you, no one can enter into Gods kingdom without being begotten of water and Spirit" (John 3:5). At the ascension, our Lord commanded the apostles, "Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations. Baptize them in the name of the father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you" (Matt. 28:19-20). In another account of the ascension, Jesus added, "The man who believes in [the good news] and accepts Baptism will be saved; the man who refuses to believe in it will be condemned" (Mark 16:16).

Do you not agree with those Scripture passages?

Now, let us go to the Church's teaching on Baptism from the Catechism.

1213 Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit ,4 and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: "Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word."5

1215 This sacrament is also called "the washing of regeneration and renewal by the Holy Spirit," for it signifies and actually brings about the birth of water and the Spirit without which no one "can enter the kingdom of God."7

1238 The baptismal water is consecrated by a prayer of epiclesis (either at this moment or at the Easter Vigil). the Church asks God that through his Son the power of the Holy Spirit may be sent upon the water, so that those who will be baptized in it may be "born of water and the Spirit."40

1239 The essential rite of the sacrament follows: Baptism properly speaking. It signifies and actually brings about death to sin and entry into the life of the Most Holy Trinity through configuration to the Paschal mystery of Christ. Baptism is performed in the most expressive way by triple immersion in the baptismal water. However, from ancient times it has also been able to be conferred by pouring the water three times over the candidate's head.

Your initial comment said that our baptism was just of Holy Water, so can you now admit that the Church teaches that the Holy Spirit and Baptism are connected?

The following I got from the same place where you got your information on Holy Water. "The holy water in churches today, I believe, is typically blessed not made, the priest saying a prayer of blessing and making a sign of the cross over it, often in the context of Mass".

Once again, a relevant bit of information that for some reason you did not want to share with the rest of us. (Funny how you highlighted the part that had the word "exorcism" in it instead). But any way, I hope that all helps.

#37 Adonia, Mar 12, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  18. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are two ways I can respond to you. I can go point-by-point which leads to nothing but an endless back-and-forth that will convince no one other than ourselves. The other way is simply to state what I have said numerous times, Lent is not found in scripture. I am not saying that certain component parts of Lent are not found in the Bible. Prayer, fasting, repentance, and giving are all aspects of the Christian life, but Lent is not found in scripture. Lent is preceded by Ash Wednesday and culminates during the Roman Catholic Holy Week. Its purpose is to prepare the individual Roman Catholic for Easter rite. Lent is part of a greater whole.

For the first 20-years of my life, I was a Roman Catholic, so I admit that I am more sensitive than most when it comes to reacting against Roman Catholicism. Romanism does not believe in Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, or Sola Gratia. In the Roman system, scripture is not, "the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith, and obedience".1 Faith is mingled with works to create a synergistic theological system. Lent is one part of that system. I am not saying this with malice. As a Protestant, I am calling out the elephant in the room. For the umpteenth time, Lent is not found in scripture.

So, if Lent is not found in scripture, what is my response to those Protestants that think it is OK to observe it? I think they are, at best, misguided. I am arguing against it vigorously on this message board because I believe it has no warrant in scripture. But if an individual decides to observe it, what can I do about that? My opinion has been registered and that is all I can do. As far as you, well, you are a Roman Catholic. I expect you to do what Roman Catholics do.

1. 1689 LBC, 1.1

19. Adonia

Adonia Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And neither is a faith tradition that is known as "Reformed Baptist", yet you follow it.

20. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a Roman Catholic, you must condemn any schism apart from the Roman Catholic Church. Are you, as a Roman Catholic, trying to make a determination between the different types of Baptists? I think not.

Lent cannot be found in scripture.

• Like Like x 1