1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are You Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by following-Him, Jul 15, 2005.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just started Attributes of God by AW Tozer.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
    by Robert M. Pirsig

3. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Stalin- The Court of the Red Tsar, by Simon Sebag Montefiore.

4. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today I just finished Who Is My Enemy?: Questions American Christians Must Face About Islam--and Themselves by Lee C. Camp. He is a religion professor at Lipscomb University here in Nashville. I've met him. He is very interesting. His PhD. is from Notre Dame where he studied with, among others, Stanley Hauerwas. I highly recommend this book, but be prepared. He asks some hard questions and suggests some equally hard answers.

Tim Reynolds
    Nashville, Tennessee

5. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am about halfway through War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity by Stanley Hauerwas. This book has two main ideas. First, Hauerwas wants to "imagine what it means for the church to be an alternative to war." (p. xiii). Second, he wants address the idea that "war is a moral necessity for America. . . . War is America's central liturgical act necessary to renew our sense that we are a nation unlike other nations." (p. 4). This is a very disturbing book, but then Hauerwas can be disturbing or at least thought-provoking.

Tim Reynolds
    Nashville, Tennessee

6. friendofyours

friendofyours New Member

I just finished Amish Grace by Donald Kraybill. We leave for vacation on Wednesday, so I am going to read through all of these posts to find my next read :)

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Coming to Grips with Genesis: Biblical Authority and the Age of the Earth by Terry Mortenson.

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

The Sermons of Jonathon Edwards

9. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Currently I am reading, Hostage: the Incredible True Story of the Kidnapping of Three American Missionaries by Nancy Mankins. Earlier this summer I read Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream by David Platt. I highly recommend this book:thumbs:

10. Gershom

Gershom Active Member

Hosting the Presence by Bill Johnson

11. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forrester. Halfway throught the third book.

12. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Bible chronologically and John Gill's Commentary on the Bible.

13. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    I went to school with Mark and Tania Rich and David's son Chad and knew David as well. Very godly, good men.

14. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I recently finished Examined Lives: From Socrates to Nietzsche by James Miller. The book is a collection of short intellectual biographies of twelve philosophers (Socrates, Plato, Diogenes the Cynic, Aristotle, Seneca, Augustine, Montaigne, Descartes, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Immanuel Kant, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Friedrich Nietzsche). Miller also describes the historical, cultural, and political contexts of his subjects. It was very interesting.

I have recently begun reading two books: War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning by Chris Hedges, a foreign war correspondent for The New York Times at the time the book was written (2002); and, Scripture, Culture, and Agriculture: An Agrarian Reading of the Bible by Ellen F. Davis, Professor of Bible and Practical Theology at Duke Divinity School.

The Hedges book was discussed at some length by Stanley Hauerwas in the book I mentioned in an earlier post, War and the American Difference: Theological Reflections on Violence and National Identity. I found a copy of the Davis book in the library of my college adviser when I was doing some work for him. I ordered a copy when I got home.

Tim Reynolds
    Nashville, Tennessee

15. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

This post!!!! :laugh::type::tongue3::smilewinkgrin:

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Prodigal God by Tim Keller

18. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Covenant He Remembers

He hath given meat unto them that fear him: he will ever be mindful of his covenant.

Psalm 111:5

Those who fear God need not fear want. Through all these long years the Lord has always found meat for His own children, whether they have been in the wilderness, or by the brook Cherith, or in captivity, or in the midst of famine. Hitherto the Lord has given us day by day our daily bread, and we doubt not that He will continue to feed us till we want no more. As to the higher and greater blessings of the covenant of grace, He will never cease to supply them as our case demands. He is mindful that He made the covenant and never acts as if He regretted it. He is mindful of it when we provoke Him to destroy us. He is mindful to love us, keep us, and comfort us, even as He engaged to do. He is mindful of every jot and tittle of His engagements, never suffering one of His words to fall to the ground.

We are sadly unmindful of our God, but He is graciously mindful of us. He cannot forget His Son who is the surety of the covenant, nor His Holy Spirit who actively carries out the covenant, nor His own honor, which is bound up with the covenant. Hence the foundation of God standeth sure, and no believer shall lose his divine inheritance, which is his by a covenant of salt.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

19. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My Reading Life by Pat Conroy.

Conroy is a voracious reader. Beginning with the influence of his mother, he set a goal in high school to read at least 200 pages a day. This has followed him through his adult life and has influenced his writings.

My Reading Life is an excellent read telling of those, like a high school English teacher, who influenced his life greatly. He also discusses the authors that have impacted his life.

This is a very enjoyable, very readable and informative book. In fact, all his books are, IMHO, good reads.

20. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist