1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What are You Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by following-Him, Jul 15, 2005.

1. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

Competent to Counsel by J. E. Adams.
    Why Christians Can't Trust Psychology by Ed Bulkley, Ph.D.
    The Craft of Revision by Oswald M. Murray

2. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

I had never gotten around to reading this classic and decided now was the time. Flaubert was arrested when the book was published as the story was very shocking at that time. After his acquittal the book became very popular and has remained required reading in many literature classes to this day. Flaubert said he always searched for the perfect work in every sentence.

This is the story of a lonely, frustrated, bored housewife whose husband pretty much ignores her. She enters adulteress affairs searching for some meaning in her life. Falubert had a deep understanding of the inner needs that all people carry within them. There are lessons to be learned in this book, especially for husbands.

3. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Army Letters from an Officer's Wife 1871-1888

Army Letters from an Officer's Wife, 1871-1888
    Frances Rowe

This is a very interesting volume containing informative letters written by Frances Rowe during the years shown in the title. The majority of these years she and her husband lived in Army posts in the American West.

Here is an example from the book.

You can download and listen to this book at:
    http://librivox.org/army-letters-from-an-officers-wife-1871-1888-by-frances-m-a-roe/

You can also download it and read it from:

http://manybooks.net/titles/roefrancetext04rmlfw10.html

Both are free of charge.

4. shodan

shodan Member
    Site Supporter

Re-reading The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

Foundations for Reconstruction, by Elton Trueblood

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

With Calvin in the Theater of God

6. IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN)

IANMO(IAMNTMYOWN) New Member

No Longer a Slumdog by K.P. Yohannan and Columbine and the Search for America's Soul: Day of Reckoning by Wendy Murray Zoba.

7. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kidnapped by Robert Lewis Stevenson.

This is a book that somehow I never got around to reading. Now I can add it to my list of books read.

Good read. Gives some information on the Jacobite's in Scotland.

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

One B1g [sic] Thing: Discovering What You Were Born to Do, by Phil Cooke

Read the Bible For LIFE: Your Guide to Understanding & Living God's Word, by George H. Guthrie

Reasons for Faith: Making a Case for the Christian Faith, Norman L. Geisler & Chad V. Meister (eds.)

9. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

I picked up a book about five years ago, Leaving the Saints: How I Lost the Mormons and Found my Faith by Martha Beck. I didn't know much about the Mormons, and Mitt Romney's candidacy for the presidency prompted me to do some reading and study. I read it at the time, and came back to it again about a year ago. You know how you pick things up from a book the second time through that you missed the first time.

This one isn't going to make you feel warm and fuzzy, with a testimony of coming to Jesus at the end. It will give you insights into what Mormons believe, those who are deep into the traditions and practices of the faith, not just the average convert. Beck's journey out of Mormonism is typical of those who leave the church. They don't generally convert to Christianity. Given the general ignorance about Mormons among evangelicals, this would be a good way to get some insights.

10. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Standing by Words: Essays by Wendell Berry. This book was originally published in 1983. I'm just getting to it. The title essay considers the decline in the quality of our language. I suspect Berry would say that things have deteriorated even more in the intervening years.

Tim Reynolds

11. SovereignMercy

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Perfect Shepherd: Studies in the 23rd Psalm. John Davis.

12. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At the Center of the Storm: My Years at the CIA by George Tenet.

[​IMG]

#912 Crabtownboy, Apr 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2013
  13. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

How is the Tenet book, CTB?

I just finished "Detroit, An American Autopsy" by Charlie LeDuff. It's sad to see the depths that Detroit has sunk too in the last 30-40 years. I was born right outside the city in Royal Oak and have several relatives still living in Michigan but they all left Detroit years ago when all the corruption was first having its affect.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Parts of the book were very interesting. I became a bit bored with the length of his defenses basically saying that this and that "mess" was not my fault nor the fault of the CIA. This is a common feature I have found in books by people who were parts of various administrations. Making self look good is a very human trait ... but it often makes for not the most interesting reading.

Of course there were many areas he mentioned, but could not give information on for obvious natural security reasons or to protect people still in the field.