1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What are your thoughts on music?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FrigidDev, Mar 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

Psalm 139:19-22
    19 Surely thou wilt slay the wicked, O God: depart from me therefore, ye bloody men.

20 For they speak against thee wickedly, and thine enemies take thy name in vain.

21 Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?

22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

2. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

I guess that's evidence that you listen to more rap than I do! :) I can understand death metal fine, but I can't understand rap that well. Vice versa is true as well I guess :p

3. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Making this discussion even more subjective. I can't think of many other discussions/debates that are more subjective than the music one. But I still enjoy, nonetheless.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

True

5. aiki

aiki Member

Okay, so, David is talking about sinners here; wicked and bloody men who take God's name in vain and hate him. This description fits a great many of those who stand in jeopardy of hell today. But you were saying that the thought of the lost going to hell angered and frustrated you. Why now, then, are you posting verses that talk about hating the very sort of people about whom you say you are so concerned? You seem to be contradicting yourself here...

I notice, too, that you have not responded to any of the other things I pointed out in my posts. Just saying...

Selah.

6. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This, my friend, should be all it takes to "pump you up" enough to go out and win all those you can possibly win. If you're dependent on music (any music) to motivate you to service for God, then something is wrong.

I enjoy upbeat Southern Gospel music myself. It is uplifting to me. It is encouraging to me. But, I'll be the first to admit that there are groups and songs within this particular genre that are certainly not glorifying God in the least.

In the song you offered, I cannot see how it could possibly bring honor and glory to God on any level. I could only listen to maybe 15 seconds of it. I felt depressed almost immediately. I couldn't imagine having any degree of true spiritual worship during or after listening to that music.

That being said, I want to commend you for taking a very civil approach to this discussion. Talking about musical choices and styles can become a heated topic. I appreciate well reasoned responses.

7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would say that so long as you are listening to it I do hope it is endearing your heart to the Lord. I have my doubts. I would never allow that music in my home or my church.

8. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

I just used that as an example that Christianity isn't always about happy thoughts. I don't mean I hate sinners! I mean I hate that they have to go to hell.

That is it all it takes to get me motivated. I don't depend on the music to be pumped up, but it does supplement that idea.

Death metal is definitely not for everyone. Metal is a difficult genre to get into, and it's hard to explain to people who don't like it already. I get depressed when I listen to happy music, when I'm thinking about a depressing issue. :)

And thanks about the being civil thing, I definitely feel ya when it comes to music discussions, people get really upset really fast most of the time. :D

#48 FrigidDev, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  9. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Music always attends to the emotions far sooner than to the intellect.

A mature believer will by virtue of their listening to the relatively still, whispering voice of the Holy Spirit will by nature reject any type of music that presents itself as ugly, worldly, and angry.

Lyrics actually matter very little when it comes to the performance of music.

For example, early in the thread, Simon and Garfunkel were mentioned.

I almost came out of my seat in protest when I heard their popular song "Bridge Over Troubled Water" being sung in a church. Did they not know that it was written specifically to endorse drug use?

Often "lyrics" are an excuse for all manner of excess in music.

But, there is no excuse. The more worldly, the more like that of those dancing to the golden calf.

"They sung a HYMN and went out."

Next time you need "pumped" try "Take My Life and Let It Be Consecrated, Lord, To Thee."

1. Take my life and let it be
      Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
      *Take my moments and my days,
      Let them flow in endless praise.
    2. Take my hands and let them move
      At the impulse of Thy love.
      Take my feet and let them be
      Swift and beautiful for Thee.
    3. Take my voice and let me sing,
      Always, only for my King.
      Take my lips and let them be
      Filled with messages from Thee.
    4. Take my silver and my gold,
      Not a mite would I withhold.
      Take my intellect and use
      Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
    5. Take my will and make it Thine,
      It shall be no longer mine.
      Take my heart, it is Thine own,
      It shall be Thy royal throne.
    6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
      At Thy feet its treasure store.
      Take myself and I will be
      Ever, only, all for Thee.
    (Frances R. Havergal)​

• Like Like x 1
  10. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

Define worldly.

At one time the piano was considered "worldly", until people realized that it was just an instrument. ;)

11. aiki

aiki Member

I'm with you on this, brother! I don't think, though, that getting amped up about it by listening to the harsh, threatening tones of death metal music is really going to be of any significant help to you in sharing the Gospel with the lost.

Selah.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What are your thoughts on music?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I read the whole thread, and then decided to sample the music. I didn't let my wife know the source of the music; I just let her listen to get her reaction. When she heard it, she responded, "You know I don't like satanic music." Personally, the music triggered my anxiety, and I had to calm down for a while before coming back to post this.

If there is a message to be gotten by this excerpt, it is ONLY through the music. The words were completely and totally unintelligible. And I read the lyrics before I listened to it. The OP even said that the words couldn't be understood through the first playthrough, but only with repeated listening. This means that the axiom stated before, "The medium is the message" holds 100% true in this case. Because the lyrics cannot (by the OPs own admission) be understood without repeated listening. This means that, until you listen to it enough to understand it, you are getting ONLY the message from the music, which is hate, violence, and anger. You can't tell what that hate, violence, and anger are directed to. You can only know that it is about those.

Those of you who know me will know that this next sentence I do not say lightly. That music made me want to kill. Now, with my background, the hatred it caused to surge into me was directed towards Al-Qaeda, ISIS, the Taliban, and so on. But we are not called to hate these people. We are called to love them.

To me, that was one of the most ungodly things I have heard in a very long time. To me, saying something along the lines of "at least someone is using a medium to reach people who won't listen to other mediums" is like saying, "I am a Christian prostitute. I sell my body for money, but I give them the gospel. These whoremongers might not hear the gospel any other way." That sounds harsh, I know. But I mean it sincerely. There are just some media that cannot be reconciled to a gospel message. And I believe that this is one of them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

I'm sorry but this was pretty funny to read. As the "OP", I said that as you listen to this music more, you understand it better. Not just this song, but once you're used to the sound of the general genre, you understand it after that.

Honestly if your wife thinks music is satanic just because of the type of music, well...then that's just rooted in ignorance of the music industry.

The words, well, they aren't "completely and totally unintelligible", and there's a whole base of this music that would disagree with you.

Honestly if you are able to be turned on to "Wanting to kill", just by listening to a song..then..I don't know what to say. I mean it's just funny that you think this.

Do you think the growling vocals are demonic? Probably, based on your post. Let me ask you a question. Have you ever heard a demon? No, you haven't.

Now let me ask you another question. What do you think of when you think of death metal and its culture? Satanic, evil, putrid, right? I'd like to point out that Metal is one of the least popular genres of music ever, which is why you don't hear this stuff in commercials. Now, if Satan(who has the voice of an angel of light), and who is the ruler of this world, wanted to deceive the most people with his satanic message, what do you think he would use as his platform? Well of course, the most popular genre of music/entertainment that there is...Pop. So. Satan is the great deceiver. He's convinced the population that music like Katy Perry and Taylor Swift is innocent, and that anything that "sounds scary" and is dark, is satanic. I argue that it is exactly the opposite. Take a long, hard look at the Pop artists of today. You will see their music RIDDLED with satanic and luciferian imagery. On the other hand, this song speaks the truth of the Bible(literally straight up verses), but "sounds scary", and for some reason, people like you are tricked into believing it...

Here's a rule of thumb for you. Anytime you see something popular...whether it be music, or movies, or whatever, run the other direction. Satan is alive, living in this world, and deceiving billions of people every day. Take a good look at what you're allowing to influence your life, and then decide whether or not music is satanic or not, just because it's a scary sound.

For me, I would rather listen to the most abrasive, guttural, scary Christian music that has a holy message, then even consider for a second, listening to some Luciferian garbage that Taylor Swift and Beyonce'(and even some CCM artists, believe it or not), put out.

15. aiki

aiki Member

This is something of a false dichotomy. There are more than just these two options, right? One can listen to old hymns and/or classical music, too. Either of these would preferable to much of CCM, and to secular pop or death metal music.

Popularity is not one of the standards the Bible offers as a sure sign of evil. Relatively few people are full-blown Satan worshipers or serial killers. Does that mean that Satanists and serial killers aren't doing what is evil when they worship the devil or murder people? Of course not. Your reasoning above, then, is a bit of a non sequitur. Death metal is not exempt from being demonic simply because it is unpopular any more than Satanism is exempt from being demonic because it is unpopular. You want to know if death metal is godly and right? Examine it in the light of what Scripture tells us marks what is godly: humility, meekness, peace, joy, love, faith, patience, gentleness, holiness, purity, self-control. Is Christ lifted up? Are you drawn to him and made more like him by listening to a genre of music that fosters anger and is associated in the world with violence, hate and the demonic? I seriously doubt it.

Selah.

16. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

Simply look to Revelation to understand my analogy of popularity = good sign of evil. Of course death metal isn't exempt from satanic-ness....but they're open about it. With secular(and some christian) popular music, it's hidden. We don't even think twice about it, and that's what's so incredibly twisted about our world. It's completely run by satan himself.

The converse of my point(That would be: The more unpopular something is, the more holy it is), is in no way true. Simply the point is that when a majority is doing something....it's usually either or a lie or concealed evil.

17. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you were a bit more familiar with SapperWoody's story, I would hope that you would show him a bit more respect than to make a statement like this.

He is well-esteemed here.

How are those who cannot understand the lyrics supposed to know that?

18. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

Well I'm not, so that's nothing to be expected of me.

This is an underground band...only a few thousand people have even heard these songs. Those people who listen to this song are used to death metal. They understand it(as do I).

It's just like some sort of country reference, not making sense to someone who doesn't listen to country. It's an understanding you gain as you learn the genre.

19. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The style of music itself communicates a message contrary to the holiness of God.

"Be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind"

That music brings an absolutely devilish spirit, just listening to a few short sections of it is like listening to the voice of Satan. I promise you that kind of music is opposed to the Spirit. those who will argue otherwise can not discern between flesh and the Spirit of God.

20. FrigidDev

FrigidDev Member

You've added nothing to discussion. You can't just say things without anything to back it up, and then expect your point to be respected. Read the rest of the thread, how people argued logically, presenting arguments with supporting facts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.