What do you think of Rep. Joe Wilson's decision to shout out 'You lie!' during speech

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Xavier Montoya Zapata, Sep 9, 2009.

?
  1. It was completely inappropriate. There's never an excuse for bad manners.

16 vote(s)
    55.2%
  2. It revealed the frustration of House Republicans who feel powerless.

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. He was completely within his rights.

11 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Magnetic Poles New Member

I second the motion.

2. Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

No doubt but hey he is a victim and we have all lacked compassion.

3. billreber New Member

I third it! This has gotten WAAYYY off the OP.

Moderators, please close this thread!

Bill :godisgood:

4. Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No it's not: the one thing an MP is not allowed to do is to call a fellow-MP (including the Prime Minister) a liar - such actions will warrant immediate suspension by the Speaker. Niles Gardiner is mistaken.

5. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why now? Why not previously?

6. Johnv New Member

Bush didn't lie about WMD. Bush was mistaken. Huge difference. The majority of the western world had the same intelligence Bush did. The "Bush lied" mantra needs to cease.

That said, Rep Wilson's outburst was rude and inappropriate.

7. OldRegular Well-Known Member

I had intended to forego posting on this thread because it is nonsensical. However, CBT posted the above quote from the Washington Post which is a lie. President Bush did not lie about intelligence. The intelligence itself may have been faulty but repeating misinformation is not a lie. A lie is when you say something that you know is untrue. Obama does this routinely. You know that CBT and you should know that the Washington Post and the NY Times were treasonous in their release of classified information during the Bush Administration.

Joe Wilson, one Republican, blurted out to Obama "You Lie" which was the truth. Most democrats routinely accused President Bush of lying throughout most of his tenure.

So don't pull this "holier than thou" attitude CBT. You stand with the leftist democrats regardless of what that party of death does.

8. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2007
    Senor Regular , voting is still going on

I ask the moderator to his kindness to keep it open one more day , since people are still voting.

muchas, muchas gracias

Xavier

9. OldRegular Well-Known Member

We are still looking silly here. I have just responded to a lying post by CBT which was totally unnecessary since everyone knew it was a lie including CBT. We are being jerked around by the unknown Zapata who I suspect is not who he claims to be. Just check post 18 and notice how he switches from good grammar to pidgin grammar. Proof enough! He has just started jerking around on the News Forum.

Has anything been accomplished on this thread than the exchange of silly insults and making whoever is pretending to be Zapata deliriously happy.? This thread should die the death of neglect tho I am not good at taking my on advice!

10. FlyForFun New Member

Would the "moderator" so contacted please verify this story?

If not, the troll is revealed.

BTW -- My first Language is French, but growing up I was taught it was rude to speak French in front of others who did not.

11. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again you give only opinion and nothing to back up your poisonous spewing.

Sorry old man, but Wilson was wrong. I will claim he was simply ignorant of what is in the House Bill and not claim he is intentionally telling a lie.

There are more places to read this, but I believe you will see my point. Wilson was in error.

OldRegular, I'll accept an apology now.

12. Winman Active Member

You seemed to think it fine when a shoe was thrown at Bush. See post #3 here.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=55796&highlight=shoe+bush

13. alatide New Member

Democracy is not about shouting down elected representatives either in town meetings or in the US House of Representatives. It is about thoughtful consideration of the issues, respectful debate and a fair vote. When we lose these aspects of democracy we have degenerated into anarchy.

14. Magnetic Poles New Member

Nope. Nowhere in that thread did I say it was fine. I said political dissent is part of a free society. I did not condone the throwing, but I did say I could understand an Iraqi being mad enough to do it after Bush had the US invade his nation. So don't misrepresent me.

In addition, this is a member of the United States Congress. If you have read everything I wrote, I would not have condoned a Democrat shouting down President Bush either.

15. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Apples and oranges. It was a reporter who threw his shoes at Bush, not an elected representative. Do you know what happened to that reporter? Should the same be done ton Wilson?

It was not fine for the reporter to throw his shoes ... and it was improper for Wilson to shout an insult at the president ... any president.

16. Winman Active Member

The only difference is that both of you hate Bush and love Obama.

17. FlyForFun New Member

He didn't shout an insult -- that would have been "You are a poopyhead."

He made an objective statement of propositional truth.

:smilewinkgrin:

18. Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not hate nor love either man. I do believe that Bush made many disasterous mistakes and have said so. I have posted things I liked about Bush. I remember one post listing 10 things I felt he did right.

Obama has been in office 200 days .. far too short to make a judgement yet.

19. Johnv New Member

I think 200 days is an adequate time to begin making judgements about a POTUS. That said, a few folks here started making judgements on day 1, some even before day 1.

20. TomVols New Member

I thought it was inappropriate, yet it does no doubt reflect a growing sentiment among frustrated members of both parties who feel the President is not listening to them. I find it as reprehensible as the way the left treated Bush.

That said, is anyone calling out Obama for calling folks liars?

Go ahead, partisan hacks on both sides - I've given you red meat. Take your swings now :smilewinkgrin: