1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Does Repent Mean?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by InTheLight, Dec 29, 2015.

?
  1. 1. Turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 2. Feel sorry for your sins.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3. Have a "change of mind" about Jesus.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. 4. Feel sorry for your sins and turn from your sins.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. 5. Feel sorry for your sins, resolve to quit sinning, and endeavor to live a more upright life.

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 6. Other (explain)

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mods, please close my thread. This has turned into an allegation and accusation-fest by Internet Theologian against Jon C. It's sickening.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

I know more about it than that, and that isn't accurate.

Let's do this: What do the Scriptures say about God's men in NT theology?

I've never really been of either. Your detector is broken. :) The RCC charge is cute though. Never heard that one. I have been around and know many fundies and am familiar with their churches.

Answered.

This is just you showing your contempt for Reformed brethren and taking an ill advised jab while making an unfounded claim.

Yes, you hold me in contempt, I agree. It's sad really, but I forgive you.

But the thing is you gained this contempt in assuming many many things and rushing in thinking I was speaking of you. Then after this friend you've made up a few fabrications on me.

3. Internet Theologian

You know what I stated is true. It is a well known fact.

Hey, you're the one that came in and called my post dumb so I gave you a rhetorical that you, for doing so must also agree with that. I was making a point 'do you also agree with him. If not why dislike my post'. It was tongue in cheek, learn to read between the lines.

#223 Internet Theologian, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, please back up your claims. Most of those whom I read are Reformed (Piper, Packer, MacArthur). I don't agree with everything they say (mostly because I'm not Reformed), but that does not mean I hold them in contempt. You are off base in your attacks and insults, brother. Can you not just back up your claim and tell me which teachers I've held in contempt?

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Internet Theologian,

It is obvious to me that you cannot defend your accusations, and I apologize for asking you to admit that inability. Pride is a difficult obstacle to overcome. For you, it is pride that prevents you from realizing or admitting your error. For me, it has been pride in making it public here and encouraging you to demonstrate your character. I know that you can't defend your claims against me, and I believe that you are aware of the same. This is why you continue with insult but never even try to support your claims. I allowed this so that others could understand your character. But in so doing I also exposed a personal fault, I am prideful. I realized awhile back that you are not capable of debate as you can't see past your views, and perhaps I exploited that as well. That was pride on my part. Brother, again, I will keep you in my prayers (now even more than before). I pray that God may count you worthy, that the name of Jesus may be glorified in you.

#225 JonC, Jan 3, 2016
  6. Internet Theologian

That's hilarious! It is a known fact that you've shown disdain for persons using the works of others. That is showing contempt for both persons. Several of us are aware of this fact and it's been seen elsewhere.

Yes, sure, mix in questioning my conversion.

Wow, you said all that, tell me how you hold contempt for me, and I'm the one filled with pride. Hmmmm.

Lastly one more time concerning those you hold contempt for. You've not named any specifically which is why you are asking for names. Its deceitful really. But you have done so generally both in this thread and elsewhere. So please stop with the pretending and asking for a name. You know you've done so generally.

#226 Internet Theologian, Jan 3, 2016
  7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, brother. You have severely misunderstood. God does not make us worthy to be saved. I am surprised you did not recognize that I was quoting Scripture. That was a prayer that Paul prayed over the Thessalonian believers. It is not a prayer for conversion, but that being saved God will work in the lives of His children to make them worthy of that calling. With Paul the calling of God is always effective (those who are called refer to those who are saved). The Thessalonians belong to God, and since they have been saved Paul prays that they might live up to that calling (e.g., Eph. 4 Paul urges us to “walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which we have been called”).

You've been invited several times to provide a list of those I've viewed with contempt. We both know that you cannot. So you change the claim to be I have a contempt for unnamed persons in general (just like you changed your view that God decreed teachings must be accurate to they must be "mostly accurate"). I appreciate Christian theology a bit too much for that (even those theologies I personally reject). My masters is in theology. It is a subject I love discussing. Heck, I don't even hold McLaren in contempt (although I reject his theology). If you believe you can come up with even one teacher I have held in contempt here, then by all means, provide a name and we can discuss it. But that's the problem, isn't it? You hold those who disagree with you in contempt. That's why you cannot debate. You can't see past your own little ideas. My "sin" of contempt is that I disagreed not with any theologian, or scholar, or teacher....but I disagreed with you. I don't know the "more" you think you know, but I can assure you that you do not know me. Like I said, I'll pray for you. And read 2 Thessalonians. It may help you. I urge you towards spiritual growth, brother.

And I pray for you, that God may count you worthy of his calling so that the name of Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of God and Jesus Christ. I look to the day when through your interaction here Jesus Christ is glorified. I look towards a time when we can all look at your correction of a brother as being Spirit filled, iron sharpening iron, in all gentleness and patience. And I pray for me, that God will give me patience and help me to view you through the love of Christ. That I will overcome my pride and grow in the image of my Savior. I pray that one day we can consider each other as brothers (not merely as a consideration, but in truth and action). Until then, I'll continue to pray for you.

#227 JonC, Jan 3, 2016
  8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    [

="DHK,

The word "gospel" in that verse simply means "good news" the same expression that "gospel" always means. It is good news. But when used in the context in the above verse, the good news was not referring to the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, was it?

The only thing that can justify the heathen is the cross.
    So the gospel was preached before to the heathen as the scriptures declare. The Abrahamic Covenant was the gospel.[/QUOTE]

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

[/QUOTE]
    Perhaps you could elaborate on that. The only gospel that I know is that which is defined in 1Cor.15:1-4.
    Paul states that this gospel was unknown in the OT; as in it was a mystery, hidden to them, but now revealed to us.
    How could they in the OT know of the gospel which Paul says was not revealed to them?

Romans 16:25 Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
    26 But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Will comply with that request.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.