1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What does this scripture mean and how do you interpret it?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Jordan Kurecki, Nov 17, 2013.

1. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

It means that the words of the Lord are pure words. It compares the purity to that of silver purified 7 times. The pure words of God don't need to be purified like silver does. Silver has impurities and must be purified. Silver that's been purified 7 times is very pure. This was use as an analogy to show that the words of the Lord are pure.

no, the 7 times has nothing to do with Scripture. It was silver that was purified. The words of the Lord do not need to be purified.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ANY versions based upon that Greek text though?

3. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know, was just answering "tongue in cheek:, as why would the "perfect one" need to be corrected/revised?

4. thisnumbersdisconnected

I knew that, actually. I was just making sure no one thought you were being serious. :smilewinkgrin:

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Meanwhile, seven chapters on:

7 The law of Jehovah is perfect, restoring the soul: The testimony of Jehovah is sure, making wise the simple.
    8 The precepts of Jehovah are right, rejoicing the heart: The commandment of Jehovah is pure, enlightening the eyes.
    9 The fear of Jehovah is clean, enduring for ever: The ordinances of Jehovah are true, and righteous altogether.
    10 More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold; Sweeter also than honey and the droppings of the honeycomb.
    11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: In keeping them there is great reward. Ps 19

I believe the gist of 12:6 is contained in 19:10 above. I'm guessing Ps 119 would be loaded with such metaphors.

#45 kyredneck, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2013
  6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It underlies the KJV and the NKJV (for the most part).

HankD

7. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

So then, you accept the subscriptions following the Pauline epistles as inspired?

8. franklinmonroe

What do you think this verse meant to the many generations of Christians that read it before 1611?

9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    wasn't the 'true text" the originals, and we have a choose as to which would be he best copy available for us to use today?

10. franklinmonroe

Yeshua1, I'm not sure how to respond to your question. I'm not even certain that I should respond to it since it doesn't really seem to stem from my question for HankD.

If you are interested in some background regarding my question for HankD look here --
    http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=47257

11. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

The verse is a market tip. Buy into the silver market, then when it is seven times the original value, sell. Of course, one can purchase any amount of silver ounces except 30

#51 saturneptune, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  12. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I DO work with MOLTEN steel; I ran an electric-arc furnace for 11 years until I used my seniority to switch jobs.

We melt scrap steel to a temp of about 3050 degrees F. The impurities rise to the surface of the "bath' of molten metal as slag, which is poured off. Other impurities are burned to vapor by injecting oxygen into the melt. We add or burn up carbon as needed for the particular alloy we're making, along with the ore of other metals such as manganese or vanadium. The non-metallic parts of the ore either vaporize or become part of the slag.

13. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Psalm 12:6, David is **COMPARING** God's word to the purest physical thing known to him & the other Israelis-silver that had been purified 7 times, the standard for the silver used in making the Tabernacle implements. Even using ancient methods, this process yields silver so pure that ordinary methods won't reveal any impurities. To David, this silver was ABSOLUTELY pure, as are God's words.

There was **NO** 'purification process' for God's words! They were 100% pure the instant He uttered them!

However, Psalm 12:7 is about PEOPLE; this has been discussed in other threads, so I won't repeat those discussions except to remind everyone of the marginal note in the AV 1611 for the 2nd them in V7: "Heb. him, I. euery one of them."

14. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it's NOT impossible, except to KJVOs. Many Old Testament quotes in the New Testament do NOT match the original OT quotes, and it's NOT just because of the differences in Hebrew and Greek. A prime example is in Luke 4:16-21 where JESUS READS ALOUD from a copy of the Book of isaiah that does not match the original, but yet is called "this Scripture" by Jesus.

15. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    REALLY?

Then howdya explain obvious goofs in the KJV such as "Easter" in Acts 12;4, "the love of money is THE root of ALL evil" in 1 Tim. 6:10, or "Thou shalt not KILL" in Ex. 20:13?

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think many times the Apostles quoted and used the LXX instead of the traditional OT text though!

And still curious as to WHICH TR/KJV is to be seen as agreed upon real ones?

17. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know his words are pure, but is there a purification process for translational work?

18. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  19. Winman

Winman Active Member

It is impossible that the last 12 verses of Mark are supposed to be in the scripture AND to be omitted in Greek. These 12 verses are not a restatement of OT scripture.

I don't know where you learned logic, but you deserve a complete refund.

#59 Winman, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2013
  20. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They could have been in the original manuscript and ripped out and/or stolen by unbelievers.