1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What I wish the other side understood

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Pastor_Bob, Apr 3, 2019.

1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a few issues, I think.

First, your wording that "no decree of God can be thwarted". There is an issue with what is, and is not, decreed. Personally I do not have a problem here because I believe everything is decreed simply because everything has it's being through Christ and apart from Him does not even exist. But others may point out that they also affirm anything God decrees will be accomplished while also affirming God does not decree salvation.

Second, there is the reason sinners are not able to "not sin". Some attribute this to Adam (to a fallen nature) so that the flawed nature is ultimately tossed aside (one way or another). Others consider man's inability to be a matter of the will (men cannot "not sin" because man will not repent and turn to God). This second calls to mind Spurgeon's statement that some say they cannot because they will not, while ultimately the answer is they won't (turn to God).

Third, "death" in terms of a "spiritual death" is an illustration. The spiritually dead can do a lot of things, in their spirit. But they will not turn to God. It is at a minimum pushing the limits to declare that Paul's choice of words evidence an inability based on action rather than unwillingness.

So there are several things that are "in between" discussions that can very well separate opinions.

As far as my view of Compatibilism, it helps me just sit back and watch what I view as errors on both sides of the isle. It's a good place to be on this topic because I affirm everything you affirm but ignore what you deny. The same is true when considering the free-will people. And my answer can always be that I believe God is not man.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

John 15
    8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.
    9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.
    10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
    11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.
    12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

3. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are at peace with that, fine. I am not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know you are not. Otherwise we would be at peace together :Wink.

What brings me peace is my belief that God's will is not like man's will, but is eternally "above" or transcendent and beyond our categories of thought.

5. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Hate disguised as religion ain't too far. Now its a Spiritual Superior Race, I am alive and everyone else is just soulless animals.

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Isaiah does write that God's thoughts are not like our thoughts. I am peace that I will never be able to plumb the depths of God. However, that which the Holy Spirit has revealed through the written word is ours to profit by.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#106 Reformed, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is exactly what the "other side" often gets wrong and misrepresents about the Calvinist/Monergistic/Doctrines of Grace/Reformed/Etc position. We do believe in free will. However, God is not the will of man without, as you said, being liberated by God. John 1:13

• Agree Agree x 1