1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What innate Divine attribute did Christ set aside at the incarnation?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by atpollard, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Adam had the potential to choose to sin, while Jesus did not....

2. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus is God. But . . .

You have to understand that I reject Classical Theism and its concepts of omnipotence, omniscience, immutability, ineffability, impassibility, simplicity, omnipresence, etc.

I apologize if I made you think that I believed in Classical Theism.

The God of the Bible is more complicated than the Divine Simplicity of Classical Theism.

• Like Like x 1
  3. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I pondered the question of the Trinity for a thousand years, I would still end up with just a headache. :)

First we do not have THREE GODS, so speaking of the Father and the Son as completely distinct is not "Hear O Israel, the LORD our God is one!". So how much harder is it to attempt to then further subdivide One God in Three Persons into part of the Second person HERE and part of the Second person THERE ... (Does that make One God in 4 Persons at that moment?)

I have given an example of Jesus being in one physical location and SEEING another physical location, so Jesus did not have ALL of our physical limitations.

What I find on this subject is a lot of verses that affirm the INCARNATION ...
    • [Jhn 1:14 NIV] 14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
    • [Rom 8:3 NIV] 3 For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh,
    • [Act 2:22 NIV] 22 "Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know.
    • [1Co 15:21 NIV] 21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man.
    • [1Ti 3:16 NIV] 16 Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great: He appeared in the flesh, was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory.
    • [1Jo 4:2 NIV] 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God,
    • [2Jo 1:7 NIV] 7 I say this because many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.
    ... but where are the limitations explicitly stated?
    Yes He humbled Himself.
    Yes He obeyed the Father.
    Other than a temporary loss of glory, what limit does that require that could not be simply Jesus choosing not to reveal an innate attribute at that moment?

4. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So His Incarnation was meaningless by your logic. Jesus was truly man & truly God. You have a heterodox theology but I forget the name for it.

5. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    jesus w
    as tried and tempted as much, even more so than any of us, but he never would/could choose to submit to committing sin, as being very God, could not go in the end against that Nature!

• Like Like x 1