1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is Calvinism?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Barry Johnson, Jan 31, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So we DON'T need to do good deeds like flipping a coin to a homeless man like Jesus did? :confused:
    You Catholics sure make this confusing. I wish you would make up your mind.

I think that I will stick with salvation based on ... "Jesus loves me"

... rather than tossing coins to the homeless. (or not?)

2. utilyan

utilyan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

God allows sins to occur..... Gee you must have me confused for the guy asking does God allow sin to occur.

When you want to be honest with yourself answer this.

Does God "TRULY" want you to sin? This is just a yes or no question.

Perhaps you don't want to revoke your license to sin.

3. utilyan

Site Supporter

Pretty simple. SINCE you teach JESUS hates MOST PEOPLE on earth. Do you hate strangers like beggars and homeless folks?

Do you do as Jesus commands?

John 13

34A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. 35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

Doesn't say love everyone, says love "AS I HAVE LOVED"

"35By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."

Best indicator teachings of Calvinism is false, IT has no love or compassion, just a bunch of power mongering teachings angling for a license to sin. People literally ask if Calvinist are Christians is pretty telling.

Jesus point is its obvious to all people who are Christians how they love in Calvinism you don't love. All I've seen is people insist how much more humble they are than others.

4. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Why Jesus loves me more than most."
    -Nellie Oleson, Little House on the Prairie ;)

5. Alan Gross

Alan Gross Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, The Teaching is that 'no ethnicity', Natural Origin, citizenship, or other position in Society, or race, etc. are meant by the 'all'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife had a shirt that said: "Jesus loves you ... but I'm his favorite!"
    (Her mom cut it in half because she didn't find it funny.) :)

7. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't say or assume that.
    The only person that I "assume" Jesus hates is ESAU, and that is not an assumption since God came right out and SAID IT!

Malachi 1:1-5 [NKJV]
    1 The burden of the word of the LORD to Israel by Malachi.
    2 “I have loved you,” says the LORD.
    “Yet you say, ‘In what way have You loved us?’
    Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?”
    Says the LORD.
    “Yet Jacob I have loved;
    3 But Esau I have hated,
    And laid waste his mountains and his heritage
    For the jackals of the wilderness.”
    4 Even though Edom has said,
    “We have been impoverished,
    But we will return and build the desolate places,”
    Thus says the LORD of hosts:
    “They may build, but I will throw down;
    They shall be called the Territory of Wickedness,
    And the people against whom the LORD will have indignation forever.
    5 Your eyes shall see,
    And you shall say,
    ‘The LORD is magnified beyond the border of Israel.’​

Does God say He hates Esau? (as you are so fond of saying, it is a simple YES or NO question).

I do not embrace the false assumption that God hates no one, because His word says otherwise.
    God LOVES, those whom He has chosen to love.

Among the others, God has been known to:
    • Give them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves. [Romans 1:24]
    • Give them up to vile passions ... exchanging the natural use for what is against nature. [Romans 1:26]
    • Give them over to a debased mind, to do those things which are not fitting. [Romans 1:28]
    I leave it to others to speculate whether God loves or hates such individuals. That is not a question appropriate for me to answer. However we must acknowledge that there do exist vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, so all vessels are not vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory [Romans 9].

8. atpollard

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not sure it IS a simple yes or no question. Perhaps you could help me out with an example:

Did God "TRULY" want Joseph's brother's to sin (selling him into slavery)?
    As you said ... "This is just a yes or no question."

9. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I'm just not going to box myself into your corner answer questions the way you want them to be answered. You aren't looking at the larger picture.

10. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a blasphemous mocking attitude you have.
    Absolutely true, it says because of His great love, the others he did not have that love for or God would have saved them also by His grace.
    You can quote whatever verse you want to support your POV, but you nullify or ignore the ones which do not.

11. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    People on here often have this irreverent flippant blasphemous attitude towards scriptures. They prefer their own opinions about God and being saved.
    Scripture is not going to contradict itself. So people better modify their views to conform to it, and not make up cleverly devised fables. If a scripture says something specific, then you can not force other more general ones to be understood ignoring the more specific scriptures that give better details.

#111 Scott Downey, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Titus Tarnum

Titus Tarnum Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I said this earlier and it kind of relates to your discussion on who God loves, the book of life clearly defines your salvation status at the judgement and If the book of life, which was written before the foundation of the world revelation 17:8, is not a book of salvation but rather a book of creation, showing that God planned exactly who would be born throughout time, then this would show that God potentially loved everyone of His creations in His book. If it isn't a book of creation and its a book of people who God said were saved, and only the saved are written in it before the foundation of the world then only the saved can be blotted out from it and you ruin the concept of once saved always saved. So a Calvinist should believe that it is a book of creation.

If The book of life is a book of Salvation and your name is written in it as you use your free will Arminianism needs to explain why Scripture says that your name can be blotted from it ,and your name is written in it before the foundation of the world but it doesn't discuss your name being written in it at the point of your salvation anywhere so you don't have a scriptural basis for this assumption. God doesn't say if you overcome I will write your name in the book of life He says I will not blot your name from the book of life.
    This is also good for Calvinism because if the book of life is a book of creation then potentially the only people who have their names blotted out from it are people who lost the possibility of salvation and not anyone who is saved necessarily, so it isn't proof of election prior to the foundation of the world, and it is proof that God truly would love everyone to be saved and I am sure it is with deep regret that God blots peoples names from His book of creation. One other things this concept says to me is that since you cannot blot your own name out of the book of life your salvation rests in God's sovereignty and while your name is still in that book you have hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. utilyan

Site Supporter

You won't answer either way because its a glaring fault in your logic.

If God commands something of me its because he wants it done.

Should we trust God or think his command is worthless?

When Jesus says sin no more, I think he "TRULY" means he wants them to stop, Or is that just a joke?

I literally asked you if "God "TRULY" wants us to not sin?" And you couldn't give a straight answer.

Why correct anyone? according to you GOD doesn't want correction.

The only reason you had to add the adverb of "TRULY" is to deny the command.

Does God want obedience? and does God "TRULY" want obedience? are two different things for you.

You self proclaimed "elect" folks, If I ask if God TRULY wants your obedience can't muster up a "YES"?

Its a lot easier to BLAME GOD when you sin, cause he obviously didn't "TRULY" want you to obey.

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your question is interesting.
    God does not want us to sin. We still, by virtue of our sin nature, sin.
    God does not ordain that we will not sin, but instead ordains that we can sin if we so choose.

This answers you, by showing you we have the capacity to choose sin.
    What we don't have the capacity to do is to choose God so that he must save us. God tells us we were dead in our trespasses and sins and that God (not man) makes us alive with Christ. We are saved (not by choosing God) by grace. By God choosing us.

The glaring problem with your theology is that you reject grace and embrace human effort as the means of salvation.

You reject justification by faith alone and instead embrace justification by faith plus merited works.

It is interesting to see you utterly butcher what is meant by the Reformed when we say there is no free will unto salvation. It has been explained ad nauseam to you, yet it falls upon deaf ears. So be it. Remain deaf.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Titus Tarnum

Titus Tarnum Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You assume that you choose to follow Christ with inherent faith?

17. Titus Tarnum

Titus Tarnum Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are saved by grace through faith, if it is your faith with which you choose to follow Christ then truly one component of salvation comes from you.

18. Titus Tarnum

Titus Tarnum Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I believe it is scriptural to say that we don't use inherent faith, faith that we use every day because it's a component of our humanity, but rather we use faith that is a gift from God, just like grace, to choose Christ. Hebrews 11:1 Faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence things not seen. To have evidence of the invisible God you have to be given evidence by the invisible God, you don't come across it on your own…

19. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can a dead man have the gift of faith by which he chooses God? (Ephesians 2:1-9)
    He cannot.
    He must be made alive with Christ. By grace we are saved.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Titus Tarnum

Titus Tarnum Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You never hear someone trying to define freewill by saying look how perfectly someone has acted, instead it's only that they have sinned and lost their salvation showing their freewill. Then there was Jesus the only one who came and was able to do God's will perfectly; are you going to call Jesus a robot? No one could do God's will perfectly not Adam, not Noah, not Moses, not David only Jesus the first of all the robots! The fact that people try to define free will by the act of sin, and the fifth article of the remonstrates seeks to do it, shows me that free will is sin. I give up my will for God's will. I beg God to take my will from me and to put His will in me.
    About your question does God want you to sin; God knows everything and God knew before the foundation of the world that if He was going to create humanity they would sin that's why Christ was crucified before the foundation of the world. You cannot be perfect without Christ's perfection, God knew this. God knew every sin that I would commit but He created me anyways. God is the only perfect being so if God is going to create something it would have to be less than Himself and capable of disobedience. That isn't a God-given right, free will isn't a God-given right. God knew His creation was imperfect and He made a way for us to become perfect by being part of Himself. God knew his angels would sin, is He honoring their freewill by allowing them to stay, I would say no, so why does He allow them here? As i said before The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares shows that if God was to pull the weeds He would destroy the earth so He has to wait until Armageddon. Got acts this way not because He is weak, but because of the imperfection of his creation being so delicate, otherwise God can just snap His fingers and all of Satan and his minions would be gone and we wouldn't have nearly the same problems. If you think that God wants Satan here that is another argument…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.