1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is God's criterion for election?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by George Antonios, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, of course.

Yes, of course. For the commandments were given so that man gets the maximum happiness out of life. They order and keep man in God's design for his behavior both toward his Creator and his fellow man.

"Ye shall observe to do therefore as the Lord your God hath commanded you: ye shall not turn aside to the right hand or to the left. Ye shall walk in all the ways which the Lord your God hath commanded you, that ye may live, and that it may be well with you, and that ye may prolong your days in the land which ye shall possess." (Deut 5:32-33)

"For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God." (1 Cor 7:19)

Yes, of course. Here is one example:

Of Zacharias and Elizabeth, St. Luke said, "Both of them were righteous in the sight of God, observing all the Lord’'s commands and decrees blamelessly." (Luke 1:6)

Yes, of course.

What kind of God do you have who gives man commandments He knows man is not even capable of keeping?

No, I believe Jesus Christ is THE High Priest.

Yes, of course.

If you are genuinely struggling with failing to worship God, blaspheming Him, failing to honor your parents, murdering people, lying, stealing, committing adultery and coveting, I suggest your time would be better spent in prayer and not on internet forums.

#81 Walpole, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  2. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    David is referencing the sin that all men are born into: Original sin.

He is not referring to actual sin, which Calvinist believe man commits just by the sheer fact that he exists. Such a position renders God the author of sin. Actual sin involves a positive act of the will. (cf. Is 7:15)

3. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know how more clear I can make this. We don't have criteria that God uses. He chooses whoever he wills for his own good purposes and pleasure and ultimately for his glory. End of story.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So God just arbitrarily and randomly chooses, rendering salvation a mere flip of a coin?

Have you ever heard of Jesus Christ and His teachings?

5. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    ???? What is this supposed to mean, of COURSE I have heard of Jesus and his teachings. What is your point?

6. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is that what I said? No. You are putting words in my mouth. What I said was we do not know the criteria God uses to choose.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You said, "He chooses whoever he wills for his own good purposes and pleasure and ultimately for his glory. End of story."

That means God acts arbitrarily, with pure will. It renders salvation nothing more than a flip of the coin.

8. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A God that had a purpose other than obedience in mind when He gave the command.
    What does Paul tell us the purpose of the Law is? Was it given for men to perfectly obey and earn salvation?

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good. My point is this Calvinist concept of a God who acts arbitrarily with pure will is demonstrably false by virtue of the incarnation of Jesus Christ, who came to give man the ability to become sons of God and thereby live with Him in all eternity.

10. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand that if someone believes they control their own salvation then they must identify what the criteria is by which God will choose them for salvation. For those who believe the doctrines of grace as taught in scripture, there is no need to know why, only that the grace of God has been poured out upon them.

For those trying to answer whether or not they are saved, some will proclaim all the things they have done. Those who embrace the doctrines if grace should be satisfied that indwelling Holy Spirit testifies with their spirit that they are the children of God.

If God chooses someone for salvation based on something that they do, you have a works based salvation. If God chooses based on His purpose, His will, you have grace.

No choice of God is arbitrary. God doesn't flip coins to make decisions. God takes no pleasure in the destruction of the wicked, as some have stated.

Everything God does furthers His purposes, including those He chooses for salvation. Ultimately, God's purposes result in His glory. God will have a people who will worship Him in spirit and truth. God will fill heaven with those who love Him and are called for that purpose.

Peace to you

• Like Like x 2
  11. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, it means we don't know.

12. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does that go against the Doctrines of Grace? It doesn't.

13. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Murder ... "You have heard that our ancestors were told, 'You must not murder. If you commit murder, you are subject to judgment.' But I say, if you are even angry with someone, you are subject to judgment! If you call someone an idiot, you are in danger of being brought before the court. And if you curse someone, you are in danger of the fires of hell. [Mat 5:21-22 NLT]

Adultery ... "You have heard the commandment that says, 'You must not commit adultery.' But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart. [Mat 5:27-28 NLT]

Divorce ... "You have heard the law that says, 'A man can divorce his wife by merely giving her a written notice of divorce.' But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultery. And anyone who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery. [Mat 5:31-32 NLT]

[Mat 5:43-45 NLT] "You have heard the law that says, 'Love your neighbor' and hate your enemy. But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. ... Do you love your enemies here on this site? (and these are other Christians).

My point is ... Who doesn't struggle to live up to God's standard?

• Like Like x 1
  14. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the rich young ruler came to Jesus and asked what he must do to be saved, how did Jesus answer?

He told the man to keep the commandments. Did Jesus understand that by the works of the law, no flesh will be justified before God? Why did He say keep the commandments?

Was Jesus being cruel, evil, and tyrannical, as you said....if God commands someone to do something they are not capable of?

Peace to you

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then they are not really commandments if God does not expect them to be followed or if God knows man is incapable of following them. They are merely suggestions.

The logical consequence of such a belief renders repentance an absurdity. For repentance presumes there is something transgressed. What is that something?

(Answer: The commandments)

Yes, for St. Paul plainly states, "For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God." (1 Cor 7:19)

Furthermore, the Apostle gives a dire warning to the faithful at Corinth and Galatia that if they do not keep the commands of God, they will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

--> 1 Cor 6:9-10

--> Gal 5:19-21

16. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Again, if you are genuinely struggling with these, I would strongly suggest your time would be better spent in prayer and not on internet forums.

17. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    By virtue of Christ becoming man, we do know. For He has revealed it to us in the Person of Jesus Christ.

This is Christianity 101.

18. Walpole

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It goes against the Calvinist concept of a God who acts arbitrarily with pure will.

For all grace comes through Jesus Christ. (cf. John 1:17)

19. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok, but if God chose everyone to be saved all WOULD be saved. Obviously that is not the case, so no, this has no bearing on what you are trying to say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Reformed1689

Faith:
    Baptist
    That still doesn't say who was chosen for salvation.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.