1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is meant by Cals when they ask: do you believe "by our own ability?"

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Skandelon, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I challenge you to do a search of my post with the key word "Pharaoh" and see the number of times I've discussed God's active work of judicial hardening as it relates to Israel of Christ's day. IMO, until Calvinists fully vet the doctrine of judicial hardening they will continue with their interpretive errors.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I challenge you to look at the context of the scriptures which speak to this "ear to hear," and I think you will see it's most certainly in reference to the judicially hardened ear of the Jew, who Paul explains in detail is being "cut off" and thus sent a "spirit of stupor"..."ears so they can't hear," but the Gentiles are being "grafted in" and "they will listen." (ref. Acts 28, Mark 4, Matt. 13, Rom 11 etc etc)
    Oh, I see the difference in the flesh and spirit, but do you?

I know I don't have a good CS Lewis analogy, but Jesus said, "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life."

The debate between us is regarding the means by which man is made alive. You believe its through the means of an inward secret irresistible working. I believe its through Christ's words...the GOSPEL. Though it can be ignored, traded in for a lie, disregarded, and maligned it is still sufficient to bring flesh to life; thus all stand in judgement by the very words Christ spoke (Jn 12) without any excuse (Rm 1).

Words have power, Aaron, especially those spoken by the God of the universe. It is by them we will be judged and it is by them we can be made alive through faith.

Now, let me ask you again. What GOOD do you have that God did not give you? Do you take credit for your gifts "of the flesh" or not?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.