1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is sin?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Salty, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we think someing is a sin - is it . a sin?

For example - dancing - for years many Baptists were taught that dancing was a sin.
    But is it - and who determines if it is or not? Or is it based on circumstances - ie - dirty dancing,
    dancing with a person other than your spouse, ect...

IMHO - just because we are told (taught) something- does that make it the truth?

As I grew up - I was taught we should not go to movies.
    After I joined the Army, I was at Atlanta Army Depot. A buddy of mine said he was going
    to go to the movies that night and wanted to know if I wanted to go. I told no - because movies can be
    bad. His answer was that it was a G rated mover - (the movie rating systems had just come out) Well, I was never taught the "answer" to ratings. I decided not to attend. As I look back - had I went to that G rated movie - I would NOT have been sinning.

Open for discussion

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Salty, to me it seems your OP is framed slightly differently that what 1689Dave brought up in the other thread, but still in the same ballpark. I think there are two different questions. First, a thing that is not a sin doesn't become a sin simply because someone thinks it is a sin. But, second, a person who chooses to do something in spite of the fact that they believe it is sin, is sinning in the choice to do something they deem sinful. If I make a conscious decision to do something that I think is a sin -- even if it is not -- then I am making a decision in my own mind to commit a sin. It breaks down the conscience. Compounded, it increases my lack of aversion to committing more sin. I believe this is part of the point of 1 Corinthians 8 and Romans 14.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree - how can an proper action be sinful - just because you think it is.

4. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not the action, the choice -- to choose to act in a way you deem sinful. Why would we want to teach people to keep making choices they think are sinful? It damages the conscience. The alternative in 1 Corinthians 8 and Romans 14 is not to leave them with the wrong understanding of what is sinful and not -- because Paul is teaching them correct doctrine in these matters -- but also to not lead anyone into committing an action that they think is sinful. So rather than be a stumblingblock, Paul would if necessary abstain from eating meat offered to idols. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

5. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to agree with rlvaughn. Being in the faith only two years has taught me that the worst problems seem to arise out of ignorance of what is to be done. What is described is a catch 22. If I do not do the right thing I am sinning by missing the mark, if I do the right thing but believe sincerely it is wrong, then I am sinning against my conscience and by being insincere with my faith. The real solution I keep finding is to stop in such situations, go with my conscience knowing my actions will miss the mark either way, and then use the tools I have in the bible, search engines, and Christian websites to fix my ignorance. The ignorant will be beaten according to Jesus with few blows after all.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are 2 definitions (IMO of course):

1) All encompassing
    1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

2) For the believer:
    Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.