1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 29, 2010.

1. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

Simple answer is lawlessness.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I didn't say that a 1 year old cannot break God's law, quite the contrary. But I believe their sins fall into the category of sins of ignorance (Lev. 4). Even sins of ignorance need atonement. But Christ died for these sins and therefore infants are covered by the blood for their sins of ignorance.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Nothing like taking one step forward just to fall back. Oh well. A glimmer of hope now and then at least breaks the monotony. :)

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

DMH: Simple answer is lawlessness.

HP: What does it take to be lawless? For instance, an infant operates under no understanding of the law. Is an infant lawless by your definition?

5. David Michael Harris

The Apostle John tells us quite clearly that sin is lawlessness. The Bible also tells us that all the human race are in Adam and in sin. So all in the state of lawlessness. Sin is lawlessness. Infants included. Harsh truth but pure Bible.

I thought this was what the Gospel was about. :)

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah, but I still have hope for ya HP! :laugh:

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: That is not Biblical doctrine, neither is it according to reason, matters of immutable justice, or experience.

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

If a child picks up a loaded gun and shoots his brother and kills him, he has broken the law. He committed murder. However, because he is a child and had no understanding of the consequences of his actions, the law will find him not guilty. Even in our wicked world, there is mercy to be found.

The same is true of children who sin in context of God's laws. Yes, he breaks God's laws, but it is in ignorance. Christ has atoned for that sin.

Children will and do sin because it is in their nature to do so, but just as God made provision for sins of ignorance in the OT, so Christ has made provision for those sins through His blood under the New Covenant.

9. David Michael Harris

Well show some doctrine that says that all are not in sin. I do believe though that God can bestow his Grace on whom He wishes.

All of mankind are in sin. Basic Bible teaching. All worthy of separation from God. Basic stuff I would have thought.

10. David Michael Harris

I always thought you had to be born again? But then again maybe we should ignore what Christ said and listen to theologians.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: No he has not Amy. Murder involves malice aforethought. There is a clear distinction betwee murder, justifiable homicide, accidental homicide, and acts carried out by a government which may or may not be murder.

If an infant or small child had broken the law he would be subject to the law, but do to his lack of understanding ( in direct light of his age) is not subject to the penalties of the law, and as such is NOT a law breaker period.

12. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

How does an infant become born again?

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Yet another EXCELLENT point. “Ye MUST be born again.” How does an infant enter heaven apart from being born again Amy?

14. David Michael Harris

Nicodemus asked a similar question.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That is true. Maybe I should have said taken a life instead of murder.
    Maybe a better example of sin in children is their innate selfishness. Mine, mine, mine! Me! Me! Me! A child will hit another in order to take something he wants.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Nicodemus wasn't talking about infants.

How does an infant become born again? Can he have faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

David made that comment, not me. I have explained how I believe infants are saved. They are covered by the blood of Christ.

18. David Michael Harris

Amy, then they like any other rest in the Grace of God. Potter and clay. It's harsh but pure Biblical truth.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That doesn't answer the question. How are babies saved? Or since they are all born condemned, as you say, I assume you think they are all going to hell.

20. David Michael Harris

I believe that God can bestow His grace on whom He wishes. God is Righteous. He is also Love. But we can only see what is written. I hope God has mercy on all. Out of my hands though.