1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is Sin?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jan 29, 2010.

1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So you believe a deaf mute cannot accept Christ to begin with?

:jesus:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I don't recall saying that. Faith comes by hearing (not physical, UNDERSTANDING) and understanding by the Word of God. This applies to the deaf mute as well.

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And how does a person UNDERSTAND? Is it not with the spirit?

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is with the mind (that is how you understand anything). The Spirit draws. A lost person does not have the Spirit (the text you are using for your proof text).

5. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The proof text proves that God can communicate with a person without a physical mind. It matters not if the text is speaking specifically about God and His children.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wrong. The text in question is dealing with an indwelt believer's Spirit within being in union with God. The proof is on you that understanding and faith can occur apart from our minds. It's almost Christian science fiction.

Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool

#126 webdog, Feb 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You are saying that when one loses their mind theyu then lose their faith?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A person doesn't "lose their mind" in the Biblical sense. That is an English colloquialism that word for word is not translatable into other languages. If you know more than one language try it.
    In the Bible words like "mind," "heart" "soul" "spirit" are all interchangeable. I believe there is a difference between the soul and spirit, but cannot ignore the fact that sometimes the words are used interchangeably. Either way both are some how intertwined with the mind.

Romans 7:24-25 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
    25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.
    --Here Paul contrasts the mind with the flesh.
    With the mind he is victorious; with the flesh he will fail.

In Galatians, however, it is the works of the flesh contrasted to the fruit of the Spirit that are contrasted. Paul says with the mind I serve... He will either allow the Holy Spirit to control his mind or allow his fleshly desires to control him. The battle is in the mind. The heart also is the mind.

Out of the heart proceeds....

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crabtownboy
    Thus, sin is anything that misses the perfection of God. There are sins of comission [actions] and sins of omission [non-actions]

A person can do a good thing, but if it is not the absolute perfection of God it is still a sin.

Inaction can also be a sin. What I should have done, but did not do is a sin.

HP: Again, I disagree. It is NOT Scriptural as it is written. Neither actions nor inactions in and of themselves necessarily are sin. The definition by Crabtownboy never touches on the real import of sin, for sin is a moral issue, willful disobedience to a known commandment of God.

Now Crabtownboy’s definitions could be seen as useful IF he would narrow the scope to matters of morality instead of simply the broad stroke taken as, anything I did not do that I should have done, or something less than the perfection of God is sin. God created men and everything in this world and the universe b eyond with far less perfection than Himself, (for He alone is Infintely Perfect) but God calls the results of that creation good, not sin.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes, what Webdog has meant by the "mind" is the physical working "brain". He has proposed that without a functioning brain one cannot have faith in Jesus Christ. This is what I have been challenging him on. I propose that it is with the spirit/mind that one communicates with God although their are cases where God speaks through human voice into human ears as well.

Matthew gives us one example of how God communicates dirrectly to one's spirit;

Mat 16:17And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed [it] unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: This whole issue is off topic but since Steaver insists, I will weigh in on his remarks.

Faith as it concerns SALVATION can only be asserted in this life by human beings, yes with a physical brain. Salvation by faith is designed for man existing in this world with a functioning brain. Any talk of salvation involving faith, such as babies in the womb or whatever, is pure nonsense and as such absurd. Saving faith can only be exercised in this world by humans subsequent to moral accountability, with active brains by the way, period. Webdog, as I understand him is absolutely correct on this point. Steaver is lost in some absurd philosophical position unfounded by reason, Scripture or experience.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Great speach! :wavey:

I now realize you must be absolutely correct. I think it was the "pure nonsense" and "as such absurd" along with the "period" that has swayed me to your pov. Who says you need chapter and verse to "prove" a point?

13. Heavenly Pilgrim

Thanks Steaver, what I have waited for with baited breath, a confirmation from you. :smilewinkgrin: