1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Is the Best Single Passage to Evangelize Someone?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Scripture More Accurately, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you could only use one passage to evangelize a lost person, what passage do you think is the best single passage to evangelize someone? Why do you think that is the best passage?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question. I probably wouldn't use a passage. I'd just talk to them and let them know what Christ has done in my life. The conversation would dictate the rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There isn't one. We preach reconciliation with God. Those marked out to be saved by God will believe they need reconciliation. Those bent on rebellion will never believe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Scripture is the power of God to salvation. We should use Scripture when we evangelize.

I have often used single passages in evangelism.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. There are several excellent passages that can be used. When we use what the Spirit Himself has inspired, we give the unbeliever what God has said exactly as God has inspired it.

Although it is not necessary to use just one passage, using one passage is a valid approach. If you had to use only one passage, is there one that you think is the best?

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But that is not what the Bible says. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation.

We do not have to quote Scripture to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. In fact, to insist so is more superstition or incantation than Christian.

We share the gospel and God does the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not know what you mean by "alter Scripture"?

2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The holy Scriptures are able to make us wise unto salvation. We should use them in our evangelism.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    By "altering Scripture" I mean insisting that Scripture rather than the gospel is the power of God to salvation. Romans 1:16 tells us tge gospel is this power. But I have witnessed members on this forum change "gospel" to "Scripture" as if Bible verses were incantations to be uttered.

9. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought that was what you might have been getting at. I believe that the best way to give someone the gospel is to use much Scripture in evangelizing them.

10. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    All scripture can be used. In fact, it is God's word that makes the dead come to life. I just disagree that there is one special verse that is best.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jon, without God's word how would you know you were a wretched rebel?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it certainly is God's Word used by the Spirit to convict sinners of their sin, etc.

I did not say one verse. By passage, I had in mind a collection of verses that are an inspired unit in Scripture that can be used to evangelize someone. For example, the inspired record of Paul's message in Athens in Acts 17:16-34.

#12 Scripture More Accurately, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  13. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    Every sinner knows from what God has revealed in creation (Rom. 1:18-32) and through his conscience (Rom. 2:14-15) that he is in rebellion against God.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We need God's Word. But in regards to evangelism we are dealing with people who are in rebellion and many do not consider Scripture as an authority. At the same time Scripture teaches that men know their rebellion.

I think (just my belief) that this is why the Bible states the gospel rather than Scripture is this power of God. All creation provides enough testimony that man is without excuse. In regard to salvation what is lacking is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We share truths of Scripture, of course, but we do not have to quote certain passages to witness. In fact, this is rarely done in the Bible except when dealing with people (Jews) who already accept the OT.

15. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe we use those biblical truths, so we are not so far off.

16. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Waaaay waaay back in the Day, several were seemingly converted from a sermon on the Trinity at a church I was visiting

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Bible" that a lost person sees best is the life you live!

The one verse - to start with - would be John 3:16.......

18. AustinC

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wonderfully sentimental, but false.
    If someone looks at you (and me), that someone will see a wretched hypocrite who daily fails his King. That someone must see Christ and Christ alone. One sees Christ in the scripture. One hears of Christ when we speak the words of God to them.
    Nowhere do we read in scripture that our actions speak louder than our words.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The reason I would START with that verse - is many people are familiar with that verse.

After starting with John 3:16 - then I would continue - one of my favorite is the Romans Road.

OF course that individual might see me as a hypocrite - but as Kirk Cameron likes to say that he
    to is a sinner and needs to be saved.
    Granted, Scriptue may not say that actions speak louder than words - but it is still a way that people consider.

20. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Your sins are forgiven" seems to have worked well for Jesus ... especially when preceded or followed by a miracle.