1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What Is the Best Single Passage to Evangelize Someone?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Scripture More Accurately, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is a wise and prudent comment.:Thumbsup

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    @Dave G introduced the necessity of quoting Scripture (not @Iconoclast ). My comments were to Dave regarding Iconoclast's assumption that Paul witnessed by reasoning through scripture as a method (an assumption I believe negated by Scripture itself).

So there are several ideas floating around here.

I believe it is essential the truth of the gospel is communicated in evangelism. This is twofold. There is the information of the gospel (communicated to us by God through scripture) and there is spiritual truth (an answer for the faith that is in us).

But I do not believe specific texts have to be quoted (whether the Greek, KJV, NIV, ect.).

3. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello,
    I am new to the forums and have enjoyed this discussion.
    IMHO both scripture and testimony are valid here. As I read the posts some questions come to mind regarding bible versions and their interpretation. When the Holy Spirit reveals the truth to us what difference does it make? Would He remove the scales when error is present?

4. Scripture More Accurately

Scripture More Accurately Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit never reveals "truth" to us that goes against what He has said in His Word. As for His removing scales when some error might be present, He could still use His truth in such cases even when some error might be mixed in with it, but His doing so is never a justification for us to be sloppy in anything that we say when we evangelize someone.

5. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Please enlighten me on this part your quote "The Holy Spirit never reveals "truth" to us that goes against what He has said in His Word."

6. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Holy Spirit inspired the writing of the entire Bible so that it says exactly what He wanted it to say. The Bible speaks of its own perfection.

There is no information given by the Holy Spirit through any means that contradicts or in any other way goes against what He Himself has said in His Word.

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

#66 Scripture More Accurately, Mar 7, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, okay. I was thinking more of our own discernment of scripture. Our inability is absolute correct?

8. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not understand exactly what inability you are speaking about that we have that is "absolute"?

9. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Doctrine of Absolute Inability. John MacArthur. Lack of spiritual discernment. Total depravity.

10. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am still not clear what you are saying.

The Spirit illumines believers to understand some of what He has revealed in Scripture. As they mature and spend more and more time in Scripture and fellowship with God, their understanding of Scripture and their spiritual discernment progressively increase.

11. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When "Evangelizing" if the elect cannot resist the Gospel then keep it simple. :Thumbsup

12. Scripture More Accurately

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree. When we look at the evangelistic messages of the apostles recorded in Acts 10 and 17, those messages hardly were "simple" messages.

13. Dball65

Dball65 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting.
    Acts 17
    27 that they should seek God, and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him. Yet he is actually not far from each one of us,
    And..

30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, 31 because he has fixed a day on which he will judge the world in righteousness by a man whom he has appointed; and of this he has given assurance to all by raising him from the dead.”

The juggernaut of Absolute Inability seems to take on some water there.
    I'm sure all does not mean all tho. Confused
    For a different forum though.

14. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see a leak in Acts 17, but I suppose those who want to pat themselves on the back can imagine there is a leak.

15. atpollard

atpollard Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Topic created just for you. ;)

16. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Whosoever believes has eternal life". The gospel? It's what Peter preached at Pentecost. It consisted of the gospel of the Kingdom (spiritual kingdom Amillennialism) with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection in view of our sins.

17. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably would have been progressive in your discussion with him to share one you think would serve as the best.

I believe Aaron was answering the OP's question below.

There is no best single verse to evangelize someone when God knows from His words what each seeker need to hear. What verse or verses may work for some, other verse or verses works for others as He does the increase.

18. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Timothy 3:15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Sometimes knowing the scripture can make one wise for when they are presented with the gospel of Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most have not heard the biblical gospel today. Only remnants of it. It's a good thing that the New Birth saves and the gospel instructs or most would be lost. Peter preached the full gospel at Pentecost and it was Amillennial as Jesus taught.

20. Hark

Hark Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will have to explain that one to me and readers for saying that and how Jesus taught it as such in scripture or give scriptural references or a link to that topic in another thread at least..