1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What is the Gospel?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by agedman, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Matthew 13:17 ---> For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

Luke 1:6 ---> And they [Zacharias and Elizabeth] were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Luke 5:32 ---> I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

These are but a few examples of the many people Scripture calls righteous. So what do we make of St. Paul's quotation of Psalm 14 that you cite in Romans 3? Given the many examples of the righteous in Scripture, it becomes obvious the Apostle is simply using inclusive language. If he is not using inclusive language, then Christ too would be included, as the Apostle makes no exceptions in his quotation in Romans 3.

2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'gospel of' word search:

23 And Jesus went about in all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of disease and all manner of sickness among the people. Mt 4

35 And Jesus went about all the cities and the villages, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of disease and all manner of sickness. Mt 9

14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come. Mt 24

1 The beginning of the gospel of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Mk 1

16 The law and the prophets were until John: from that time the gospel of the kingdom of God is preached, and every man entereth violently into it. Lu 16

24 But I hold not my life of any account as dear unto myself, so that I may accomplish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God. Acts 20

1 Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,
    9 For God is my witness, whom I serve in my spirit in the gospel of his Son, how unceasingly I make mention of you, always in my prayers Ro 1

16 that I should be a minister of Christ Jesus unto the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be made acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Spirit.
    19 in the power of signs and wonders, in the power of the Holy Spirit; so that from Jerusalem, and round about even unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ; Ro 15

12 If others partake of this right over you, do not we yet more? Nevertheless we did not use this right; but we bear all things, that we may cause no hindrance to the gospel of Christ. 1 Cor 9

4 in whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of the unbelieving, that the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God, should not dawn upon them. 2 Cor 4

7 Or did I commit a sin in abasing myself that ye might be exalted, because I preached to you the gospel of God for nought?
    13 seeing that through the proving of you by this ministration they glorify God for the obedience of your confession unto the gospel of Christ, and for the liberality of your contribution unto them and unto all; 2 Cor 9

14 For we stretch not ourselves overmuch, as though we reached not unto you: for we came even as far as unto you in the gospel of Christ: 2 Cor 10

7 but contrariwise, when they saw that I had been intrusted with the gospel of the uncircumcision, even as Peter with the gospel of the circumcision Gal 2

13 in whom ye also, having heard the word of the truth, the gospel of your salvation,-- in whom, having also believed, ye were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, Eph 1

15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; Eph 6

2 but having suffered before and been shamefully treated, as ye know, at Philippi, we waxed bold in our God to speak unto you the gospel of God in much conflict.
    8 even so, being affectionately desirous of you, we were well pleased to impart unto you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were become very dear to us.
    9 For ye remember, brethren, our labor and travail: working night and day, that we might not burden any of you, we preached unto you the gospel of God. 1 Thess 2

2 and sent Timothy, our brother and God`s minister in the gospel of Christ, to establish you, and to comfort you concerning your faith; 1 Thess 3

8 rendering vengeance to them that know not God, and to them that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus: 2 Thess 1

27 Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ: that, whether I come and see you and be absent, I may hear of your state, that ye stand fast in one spirit, with one soul striving for the faith of the gospel; Phil 1

11 according to the gospel of the glory of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust. 1 Tim 1

17 For the time is come for judgment to begin at the house of God: and if it begin first at us, what shall be the end of them that obey not the gospel of God? 1 Pet 4

All the same exact meaning? No differences whatsoever?

• Like Like x 2
  3. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ". . . And he [Abraham] believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness. . . ." -- Genesis 15:6.
    ". . . But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." -- Romans 4:5.

4. Walpole

Walpole Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thank you for the additional examples.

These additional examples demonstrate St. Paul is using inclusive language in quoting David's Psalm or else he would be contradicting his own teaching.

5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These are good examples.

Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The only thing I would add is the context of the bad news–the Fall. The good news only makes sense in light of the bad news. This is why a proper gospel presentation to our evolutionary culture should include creation and the fall. We should also include the 2nd coming and the of the wrath of the lamb as Paul did in Acts 17. "..because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.” (v. 31)

Creation > Curse > Cross > Culmination

see: Should Churches Avoid Genesis and Revelation?

7. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The good news is that we don't have to die and go to hell. It means If we believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. That He came to die for the sins of the whole world so that If we believe in Him, that he died for our sins and rose again on the 3rd day. We will be saved. Not just for the elect but also for the Gentiles

Act_11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto
    Paul told a Jailer in Acts 16:32 to believe.
    Many have come along to make it seem impossible unless you are made alive first as if you are dead! They claim you have to be chosen from before time began This is not true either. The only requirement is that you believe in Jesus Christ as your Savior. God has granted Gentiles repentance unto life this means you are able to be saved.
    MB

• Like Like x 1
  8. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How might you talk to an unsaved person differently than one who is a monergist might talk to one unsaved?

9. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I ask them where they think they are going when they die.The rest would depend on how they answer my question.
    MB