1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What is the OFFICIAL Sda Views On Gospel And Ellen White?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Yeshua1, Mar 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    But the Bible does not say that is the only sin.

The Bible says "sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4.

And the Bible also says this -- in Matthew 18

Matt 18
    32 Then summoning him, his lord *said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ 34 And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. 35 My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

Notice that "outside" the parable Jesus said --

35 My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”

What does Jesus mean by "the SAME" given the content of his instruction to that point?

Obviously it is the "SAME" fate was being warned about - as we see in the illustration of it.

So your solution to Jesus' teaching in Matthew 18 is to 'look at some other topic and hope Matthew 18 goes away"??

Seriously?

2. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The point in showing how each of Y1's posts is a problem for him since his "solution" to texts like Matthew 18 is to "avoid the chapter details" -- is that this is Y1's same solution for Romans 11, and Y1's same solution for 1 Cor 6 and the same solution for any chapter with a "Bible detail" that does not fit man-made-tradition.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the "make stuff up" section of Y1's solution.

Not the compelling solution that one may have at first imagined it would be

4. bluejx

bluejx Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yeshua,

Not every faith is saving faith.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

5. One Baptism

One Baptism Active Member

So, in not directly answering my specific question to you [Was King Saul born again of the Holy Spirit?, Yes or No?], you are saying that 1 Samuel 10:6,9 KJB, in that wherein it plainly says that King Saul was "turned into another man", and "God gave him another heart" is 'external' to King Saul, and therefore King Saul was 'not born again', according to your own personal translation [which you must be using, seeing as you are not acknowledging the clearly written KJB text and words "turned into another man", "another heart" given by God Himself] and theological position?

Did I understand you rightly?

More to think upon:

Ezekiel 18:1 KJB - The word of the LORD came unto me again, saying,

Ezekiel 18:2 KJB - What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge?

Ezekiel 18:3 KJB - As I live, saith the Lord GOD, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel.

Ezekiel 18:4 KJB - Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Ezekiel 18:5 KJB - But if a man be just, and do that which is lawful and right,

Ezekiel 18:6 KJB - And hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, neither hath defiled his neighbour's wife, neither hath come near to a menstruous woman,

Ezekiel 18:7 KJB - And hath not oppressed any, but hath restored to the debtor his pledge, hath spoiled none by violence, hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment;

Ezekiel 18:8 KJB - He that hath not given forth upon usury, neither hath taken any increase, that hath withdrawn his hand from iniquity, hath executed true judgment between man and man,

Ezekiel 18:9 KJB - Hath walked in my statutes, and hath kept my judgments, to deal truly; he is just, he shall surely live, saith the Lord GOD.

Ezekiel 18:10 KJB - If he beget a son that is a robber, a shedder of blood, and that doeth the like to any one of these things,

Ezekiel 18:11 KJB - And that doeth not any of those duties, but even hath eaten upon the mountains, and defiled his neighbour's wife,

Ezekiel 18:12 KJB - Hath oppressed the poor and needy, hath spoiled by violence, hath not restored the pledge, and hath lifted up his eyes to the idols, hath committed abomination,

Ezekiel 18:13 KJB - Hath given forth upon usury, and hath taken increase: shall he then live? he shall not live: he hath done all these abominations; he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him.

Ezekiel 18:14 KJB - Now, lo, if he beget a son, that seeth all his father's sins which he hath done, and considereth, and doeth not such like,

Ezekiel 18:15 KJB - That hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel, hath not defiled his neighbour's wife,

Ezekiel 18:16 KJB - Neither hath oppressed any, hath not withholden the pledge, neither hath spoiled by violence, but hath given his bread to the hungry, and hath covered the naked with a garment,

Ezekiel 18:17 KJB - That hath taken off his hand from the poor, that hath not received usury nor increase, hath executed my judgments, hath walked in my statutes; he shall not die for the iniquity of his father, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:18 KJB - As for his father, because he cruelly oppressed, spoiled his brother by violence, and did that which is not good among his people, lo, even he shall die in his iniquity.

Ezekiel 18:19 KJB - Yet say ye, Why? doth not the son bear the iniquity of the father? When the son hath done that which is lawful and right, and hath kept all my statutes, and hath done them, he shall surely live.

Ezekiel 18:20 KJB - The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Ezekiel 18:21 KJB - But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:22 KJB - All his transgressions that he hath committed, they shall not be mentioned unto him: in his righteousness that he hath done he shall live.

Ezekiel 18:23 KJB - Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?

Ezekiel 18:24 KJB - But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked man doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:25 KJB - Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal. Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? are not your ways unequal?

Ezekiel 18:26 KJB - When a righteous man turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.

Ezekiel 18:27 KJB - Again, when the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness that he hath committed, and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul alive.

Ezekiel 18:28 KJB - Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Ezekiel 18:29 KJB - Yet saith the house of Israel, The way of the Lord is not equal. O house of Israel, are not my ways equal? are not your ways unequal?

Ezekiel 18:30 KJB - Therefore I will judge you, O house of Israel, every one according to his ways, saith the Lord GOD. Repent, and turn yourselves from all your transgressions; so iniquity shall not be your ruin.

Ezekiel 18:31 KJB - Cast away from you all your transgressions, whereby ye have transgressed; and make you a new heart and a new spirit: for why will ye die, O house of Israel?

Ezekiel 18:32 KJB - For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.​

6. loDebar

loDebar Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Seventh-day Adventist Church is the largest of several Adventist groups which arose from the Millerite movement of the 1840s in upstate New York, a phase of the Second Great Awakening. William Miller predicted on the basis of Daniel 8:14–16 and the "day-year principle" that Jesus Christ would return to Earth between the spring of 1843 and the spring of 1844. In the summer of 1844, Millerites came to believe that Jesus would return on October 22, 1844, understood to be the biblical Day of Atonement for that year. When this did not happen (an event known as the "Great Disappointment"), most of his followers disbanded and returned to their original churches.

For about 20 years, the Adventist movement consisted of a small, loosely knit group of people who came from many churches and whose primary means of connection and interaction was through James White's periodical The Advent Review and Sabbath Herald. They embraced the doctrines of the Sabbath, the heavenly sanctuary interpretation of Daniel 8:14, conditional immortality, and the expectation of Christ's premillennial return. Among its most prominent figures were Joseph Bates, James White, and Ellen G. White. Ellen White came to occupy a particularly central role; her many visions and spiritual leadership convinced her fellow Adventists that she possessed the gift of prophecy.

The church was formally established in Battle Creek, Michigan, on May 21, 1863, with a membership of 3,500.[5] The denominational headquarters were later moved from Battle Creek to Takoma Park, Maryland, where they remained until 1989. The General Conference headquarters then moved to its current location in Silver Spring, Maryland.

same as other mistakes 1863 , on the then frontier midwest,

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

William Miller was a Baptist minister.

Ellen White (Ellen Harmon) was a Methodist

James White was "Church of the Brethren"

The "Millerites" were a movement not a denomination and had no churches - they remained in their home churches whatever denomination that might have been..

All of them kept Sunday

Details matter.

hint: that 18.1 million number in 2014 did not include any of the "other" Adventist splinter groups in your post. As you probably know.

#147 BobRyan, Mar 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Entire thread on your one topic

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Millerites were a movement in 1844 not a denomination .. no churches.. they all remained in their own denominations

And they were all Sunday keepers.

By the time you get to 1863 William Miller had long since died and the SDA group was no longer Sunday-keeping thanks in part to contact with Seventh-day Baptists (and a much better understanding of the Bible by that time)

Of the 50,000 or so Millerites in the movement about 50 chose to start to organize into what is now called the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.. the 5th largest Christian denomination in the world as Christianity Today points out.

10. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Answer with any context you want. This will be interesting.......

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, I am wrong, it is not a checkmate yet, just a check, since you can still move but are choosing not to. I can only assume because you see the checkmate coming.

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't make it up, I make a conclusion from the answers given, or not given.

Do YOU believe YOU will be damned to hell if YOU sin?

13. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There it is. You refused to answer my question but inadvertently answered it right here. This highlights the two opposing Gospels found between the biblical Gospel and the SDA false gospel.

SDAs cannot see the Light given, even though they can quote scripture all day long. Jesus spoke well of this when He said,

"And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
    He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
    For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.
    Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.
    And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."

This also explains why they cannot understand the parable of the unforgiving servant.

SDAs believe one will be damned by not obeying the Law, with this they condemn themselves, just as the Pharisees had when Jesus tried to explain to them that the Law could not justify them before God, but they insisted the Law must be followed or Jesus' grace be damned! The same we here from the SDAs.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The answer is No. there was no such thing as "born-again" until after Jesus Christ was glorified, John left no room for question on this point.

"In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
    He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
    (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:37-39)

Not allowing this Light to shape your understanding is what leads the SDA into all kinds of misunderstandings of what has been written. Of course they listen to a misguided false prophet and you can see the result of allowing one person's religious rants guide you instead of yielding to the Light.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is false teaching. You have no understanding of Grace.

There are two threads of salvation revealed throughout the Scripture. Law and Grace. Law failed, Adam failed. Law was found to ONLY condemn. Grace is APART from the Law. Grace does NOT give you power to keep the Law. Grace gives you freedom FROM the condemnation of the Law.

YOU may boast all day long how you keep the Law. But God will find you a liar. You should shake with fear if you believe you will be judged by the Law. You are deceiving yourself.

As for me, I will not boast as you do in the Law, I will trust in the Grace of Jesus Christ ALONE and His SOLE ability to keep the Law and die in my place for NOT being able to keep the Law.

I pray you repent and receive the Grace needed to escape the condemnation of the Law which you desire to judge you.

16. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist

not my info , all from Wikipedia noting SDA history and doctrine. Very similar to Jehovah's Witness, even Mormon teachings,
    compare them. All have changed through the years.

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The core religious belief of these three is the same, obey the Law or be damned. They have no biblical understanding of Jesus' teaching between Law and Grace. They are modern day Pharisees which Jesus had many things to say against their Law keeping for salvation message.

"But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in."

18. loDebar

Faith:
    Baptist

all from inept isolated understanding of the KJV in mid 1800's . Self appointed leaders whose members who also could not follow KJV. All these leaders said they had special private revelation. Someone with any understanding could have spoken up against them, Now 50 million are in error.

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No problem - some of that SDA notes in wikipedia are authored by me.

Not in real life.

Also - we note that Gamaliel is quoted as claiming a lot of false Messiahs had come up around the time of Christ. That is not a funny kind of "sola scriptura test" to see if Christ was really the Messiah. As we all know by now.

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    War against Bible translations... ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.