1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What Personal Experiences Do You Have or See With COVID-19

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Benjamin, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Earlier today my wife told me of her friend’s dad who died of other causes and they had to televise the funeral.

This led me to start thinking about getting COVID-19 and how awful it would be being separated from your family during this event and maybe dying and not even having a funeral for your loved ones to be able to gather together.

I think about all the people that live paycheck to paycheck that won’t be getting one.

I do physical therapy home healthcare and often go to nursing homes and I’m starting to feel like I’m walking in a minefield. There are so many things that I have to sterilize as I go and it seems it would be so easy to make a mistake. For instance, I take out my phone to have a patient sign, then I must reach into my bag to get a wipe to clean my phone before I put it back into my pocket. I’ve touched my phone and I’ve touched my bag which is setting on the floor and when I leave the house I need to clean my bag before I put it on the seat in my Jeep. Then there is my blood pressure cuff, my thermometer, my oximeter, my theraband, the pen I write with, my notebook to clean before I put them back into my bag. All the while my nose is itching but I don’t dare touch my face to scratch it. I feel like I'm taking risks for myself and others and trying to decide if I should cancel my contracts for the time being which could make the people I contract to angry and I could lose my job. I don't need the job financially but I would miss it and this virus could cause me a lifestyle change.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    i know this is crass but it is indeed a gamble, also we can be torn between family and community.
    I believe in 2 weeks we will know if we must face swelling or, thanks be to GOD, flattening of the curve.

If the later let us remember to give thanks and take some time of reflection.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Why not scratch your nose with a back scratcher.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But where has that back scratcher been in the last 24 hours? Will have to sterilize it...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife is an RN. Her stress is through the roof. Dealing with positive patients without a proper mask. Also lost my grandfather last week and we can’t have the funeral.

• Prayers Prayers x 2
  6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That kind of stress is rough, I liked the threat of exposure to walking in a minefield, and not being able to have that closure for your grandfather must present an emptiness.

I quit my physical therapy job but I have a mix of strong emotions and concerns for people and have had trouble sleeping. I've been doing some exercise and worked in my woodworking shop today (yesterday) and that helped to keep my mind off of it a bit.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My daughter and I were talking on the phone. She helps out with a clinic that counsels women how to adjust their lives so that they have an alternative to abortion. We discussed that the trend of mindsets seem to be changing on the subject for the better under our current leadership. Then, the subject came up that elective surgeries were being canceled due to the pandemic and that abortions were falling into that category. We talked about the possible number of deaths from the pandemic and then went back to that there are about 3,000 abortions a day and if all abortions were canceled for a month that comes out to 90,000 babies which would somewhat offset those deaths.

My daughter says, "A baby boom!"

I said, "Not only that but we have all these couples locked up for a month with nothing to do. Yes, on the bright side of this there just may be a baby boom when its all said and done!"

Just a thought I figured I'd share. I would love to see that experience become the news at the end of this tragic time...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This generation will be known as the Coronials.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am staying at home, touching my face.

My wife works for the school system and they are going in (fifty in a room without "social distance") assembling lunches for the children in the county.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back in early March seeing this coming and wanting to be prepared, to have the right tools, I ordered an Oxygen Concentrator from Amazon. It was in stock with about 30 other brands and was supposed to ship in 6 to 10 days. After a few days I checked and my product was no longer available, the page was closed. I checked the other brands and there were only 7 left and all but one of them had the page closed.

After a week I checked my shipping status and it had stalled, I read the reviews and every one of them was saying they were either notified that they had canceled their order, which they didn't or that it was sent to the wrong address.

I waited and at 15 days I was surprised to see that package had shipped. But the address said to a university in PA. Then I was notified that the package was in customs, then it was cleared, then I could expect it on April 1st. Today I received a notice that it had been delivered, but it wasn't. UPS said it was delivered to the customer, a man at the university in PA. I live in AZ, BTW. Just out of curiosity I called the university in PA and to no surprise they were completely closed down.

So I want a refund, back to Amazon, they can not give refunds. Looking at the reviews again at least 35 people also can't get a refund. Yes, this package was supposed to be shipped from Hong Kong. The page to leave a review is closed so no telling how many people Amazon allowed to be scammed by this company in China.

In my case it would seem that UPS had the package and delivered it, to someone?, but the evidence doesn't add up so I also wonder what is going on with UPS saying they delivered the package.

Edit: Oh, and at UPS the department to report a problem like this is temporarily closed due to the virus.

Something weird is going on here...

I do plan to go to my credit card and refute the charge and expect I will get my money ($600) back.

#10 Benjamin, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My wife works at the children hospital - so she has to be extra careful

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  12. graciecat

graciecat Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My brother is a Physical Therapist too in homecare in NYC. He said that NY is really in a terrible situation. They have the most number of cases in the US and they don't even know anymore who has the virus. He advised me too to just stay at home and wash my hands often.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Myh boss mother passed away from it last week, was 71!

14. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've had nothing close to home but my heart sinks every time I hear of a nursing being hit in other states because I've worked with the geriatric population for the last 2 1/2 years and those precious people are often forgot.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, about 2 out of 100 people in NY are currently infected plus perhaps a number of others that are not known. I advise people that the safest way to behave is as if every person is infected and consider everything you touch is contaminated and that keeping your hands off your face is hard to do but is as important and washing your hands.

16. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    the exact stats - but New York City has the majority of infected (1.6%) as well as deaths, (0.12%) the surrounding counties of NYC is a bit lower, counties Upstate counties which include the Cities of Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Albany are even lower. Thus some 35 counties Upstate have very low numbers, and some have not had any deaths.

Now if only the Governor would realize that 90% of the land area is NOT part of NY City.

#16 Salty, Apr 20, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did Amazon deny a refund without explanation? Did they count delivery to the wrong address as legitimate, or do they claim the address in AZ is the one you had it shipped to?

Since Amazon took your money, they are the ones who would owe you. They pass money on to sellers. It will be interesting to see if the CC folks will back you here. They should, but then so should have Amazon.

18. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A friend of mine, living in Toronto, has recovered from COVID19. God is merciful to whom He wills to grant mercy.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It turned that after a couple days I disputed the charge on my credit card and then later that day I went back to Amazon and in a roundabout way found another link that did give me an option to request a refund, contrary to what they what they were telling me before, and so I also requested the refund from them and they said it would take a few days for them to investigate it. In the meantime, my credit card refunded the money within hours and a couple days later Amazon informed me that my credit card had taken back the money so they would close my claim.

After all this, I went to Ebay and searched around quite a bit and found 2 Oxygen Concentrator units that were made in Germany and being stored in CA and order 1 and received it 5 days later.

I still wonder what was going on being UPS said a man ("the customer") met the driver and accepted the package which the company in China had sent to the wrong address - as they did to several other customers. Sounds like a scam on Amazon shoppers coming out of China.

20. RighteousnessTemperance&

RighteousnessTemperance& Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats on getting your money back, and finding a decent source.

UPS probably did their job fine. They wouldn't know anything about the original order, only the destination address on the package.

Scams out of China. Go figure.