1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What traits define IFB?

Discussion in 'Fundamental Baptist Forum' started by abcgrad94, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be the IFB way wouldn't it

#21 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

For The record....

Bro.E,W&F....I wasn't trying to offend but I did make a legitimate request for the scriptural justification for such a tradition as drinking Scotch Whiskey at a wedding which I assume involves born-again Christians. I will say this....If you make a public statement in a public forum then don't be surprized or offended if you get responses to that statement either for OR against it. When you "go public" then you make it other peoples business...whether you intended to or NOT. Sorry. I still say...God Bless Them...and wish them a happy and fruitful life.

Bro.Greg:jesus:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Never assume...and its legalists like you that keep people out of heaven...when I have tried to bring these people to Christ it is in fact your kinds legalism that is the greatest impediment---truth be told

4. 12strings

12strings Active Member

You guys who have problems with IFB Need to get to know John of Japan. Ask him about the Fundamental churches in Japan.

Also, Look up what John Piper, (a semi-charismatic, cross-denomination cooperating pastor) has to say in complimenting Fundamentalists.

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/post...undamentalists

They have their problems, but any group of churches you can think of has its weaknesses, and even its areas of legalism.

I DO think there are some real problems with the IFB church & Christian School in our town when it comes to the KJV issue, other "rules", and their mistaken belief that nearly all the students in their christian school are saved...(I taught middle-school there for 3 years...most are very clearly not saved.)

But the people running the school are sincere Christians who ARE providing a good alternative education for many families. They are simply wrong about some issues.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ive already gone thru years of anguish trying to support my own younger brother & family...just a horror show.

#25 Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 25, 2013
  6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brother, I'm happy for you that you've had good experiences that have helped you in your Christian walk. No need to get hot and bothered with us if this doesn't apply to you or your church. There are abusive IFB churches that have caused MUCH damage. We cannot sweep that under the rug simply because "it doesn't apply to MY church." It needs to be brought to light so that others can be warned to watch for certain things that lead to abuse. It needs to be exposed so "good" church people like yourself can make sure it DOESN'T happen in your church.

There is no reason for "good" IFB to get offended. The other thread shows there are walking wounded, those who need to heal. Whenever a bad story about IFB comes to light, people need to see love and compassion, not indignation that "their" church could possibly be included in some generalization.

My purpose for the OP was not to "roast" IFB, but to bring to light WHY they do get painted with the same broad brush.

7. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Some say IFB types are impediments to their witness to others. I have found freebirds to be so as well. Could it be that God uses all types to reach all types? I think so. Thank God for all evangelical Baptists willing to be a witness for Christ.

#27 Bronconagurski, Feb 25, 2013
  8. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see a lot of hate in this thread towards IFB's (maybe EWF.) The OP asked for a list of traits of IFB's and they've been put out there. I didn't see any judgment calls made on them. I don't see anyone disagreeing with the list.

I currently attend an IFB. Whenever some of these things come up I just bite my tongue and stay quiet. So far, they've not been an issue as these items rarely come up (but they do). Now if any of these gets to be a major theme of their ministry I'll have to say something, but for now I enjoy the preaching and instruction I'm getting.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know Bronco....I know a young gal from NJ who went down to Miami FL for college & she ended up short on money & friends & needed a job. She answered an add to be a receptionist at the Scientologists down there..... long story short they saw her vulnerability & gave her the job on the condition that she would join them .... then they would begin to control her (tell her how to dress, what to eat, where to live, who to associate with, what to believe & who to believe in etc). You understand what I am trying to convey.

Now Im sure that there are good IFB people out there, but Ive also seen 1st hand the horror shows where the Pastor becomes the IFB Pope & just manipulates & abuses his flock. That nonsense leaves a bad taste in my mouth because these people become victimized vs mentored and loved.

& if you can still joke about the conditions in these churches being a tad ridiculous & perhaps dictatorial.....then I would suggest (in all sincere love) that you take a new look at the oddities.

10. Gregory Perry Sr.

I'm Sorry...

Brother...I am not a legalist. I am a Bible believing Christian who tries to live in obedience with the teachings of the the Word of God so I can be a vessel clean before my Master and fit for His use. I fall short in so many ways But I love God and want to be pleasing in His sight. If that earns me the label "legalist", then it is a label that I will have to humbly and mistakenly bear:tear:. There is nothing any of us can do to improve our stature before the Lord but I do believe we ought to PRAYERFULLY try and live holy lives as much as possible. ANY righteousness WE have is not ours anyway...it is the IMPUTED Righteousness of our Lord Jesus Christ. All of OUR...repeat...OUR righteousness is as "filthy rags" according to God. I pray I'll have some rewards and crowns to cast at the Saviour's feet at the Judgement Seat of Christ. I am sorry if my comments offended you.

Bro.Greg:saint:

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I sincerely apologize for misrepresenting you.

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Brother...your apology is thankfully accepted and as I said before....I do wish God's blessings on the young couple. May God help us both to be and do what He desires for us.:praying:

13. Bronconagurski

Where was I joking???? I can tell you stories of liberal churches that caused divorces and alcoholism. So what? My experience has been good in the IFB church I am part of. There are good churches throughout my area that are IFB as well. Just because you know of bad ones I should get out? I dont think so.

14. Gregory Perry Sr.

Liberal...or Legalist

I think what you just said kinda frames the entire debate. While the IFB's and some of the more "fundamental or conservative" Baptists or Evangelicals might tend toward what some view as "legalist" in their desire to be pleasing to God and sold-out to him (and some of them DO get carried away). The liberal-leaning folks tend to be "hung" on themselves and their "felt-needs". They (many of them SBC congregations) or other non-Baptist or IFB churches tend in the other direction and get waaaaaay loose in their interpretation of the matter of "Christian Liberty". I would also say that sometimes...in the attempt to achieve "balance" we wind up "riding the fence"....and in my mind that is just as useless and possibly more dangerous than both the other extremes. I think it falls under the heading of being "lukewarm"(Rev.3:16) I want to be a WARM...check that....HOT-hearted Christian. This vile flesh I am clothed in will resist that til its DEATH. We stand in constant need of the wisdom, grace and mercy of God.
    I think that ultimately, the key is that we need to truly humble ourselves before God and pray that he will fill us and use us. We need to stay "fessed up" and keep short accounts with God in our personal lives. We were "needy" before we were saved....and in many ways maybe even MORE NEEDY now that we are saved. I think that is because we are IN the battle now whereas before, we were just lost, blind and dumb. God help us.

15. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see anyone here say that, Bron.

I have a question for you. When you hear of someone who had a very damaging experience in IFB, to the point they are scarred for life, what is your reply? Is it "Wow, I'm so sorry that happened to you, how can I help you heal, and what can I do to prevent this in my own church?" Or is it, "How dare you make IFB look bad, you filthy, bitter sinner who probably isn't even saved!"

Think about it.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without your degree of emotionalism read my commentary again. Note that I stated there are probably good IFB churches (I just never encountered them)

And NO, I did not imply you should get out. I implied that anyone sitting in a abusive & manipulative church should leave.

17. Bronconagurski

Protecting the IFB image is not why I reply to these threads. What I am saying is that not all IFB churches out there are like that. I will go further, the majority in my area are not like that. Some people paint with a broad brush, and that is unfair. Of course I would be sympathetic to someone who has been truly hurt in ANY church.

18. Bronconagurski

Emotional? I simply replied to your ridiculous accusations. Yes you said there "probably", which implies you don't think so, but you also said this:

if you can still joke about the conditions in these churches being a tad ridiculous & perhaps dictatorial.....then I would suggest (in all sincere love) that you take a new look at the oddities.

So once again, I ask you where have I joked about the above?

19. Bronconagurski

You got me on that one except expected is not the right word. Encouraged is more like it, but no one takes count. Forsake not the assembling is something we take serious. Doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons to miss.

Most of your assertions are wrong as far as my experience. I would hate to go to a church like you described, and I have been going to IFBs for 30 years.

20. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea emotional...does that supprise you? I see you as someone just wishing to turf guard your church. If so...then own up or do you truly feel that your church is innocent of all wrong doing. Then I will show you one that has pedofila and other miscrient Behavior that has ruined the lives of at least 9 family's. Still better yet you can come here meet the families yourself. How did it start, that's a long drawn out story....but little things were indications. Dress had to be this way and that. The child's educe had to be through this school...no now thrum this school, yuour wife needs to dress just so....by the way cut your hair...no alchsol no short sleeve shirts no interaction with your brother or your mother....you live for us now. End result...kids huddling in a dark corner of a room...cant function....and I have just begun to skim the surface....I had to give these people a house because this starved them, made them destitute and homeless. So don't...............no let me shut up before I get really angry....and it should not be with you.