1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured What type of a Baptist are you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Aug 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well. You start off with pejorative language from the get-go. "All the nonsense of the Reformation" huh? You have benefited from much of what was produced from the Reformation. Give credit where credit is due.

There certainly are teachings and practices from the Reformation with which I disagree, but I would be hesitant to use your harsh language.

How in the world have you made the determination that a Reformed Baptist must believe (hold to) everything that was taught by the Reformers? Besides, there were differences among the Reformers. Bullinger wasn't a cookie-cutter image of his younger contemporary, John Calvin, for example.

#41 Rippon, Aug 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am right there with you on that point.:thumbsup:

3. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah, one more point ....

..... I am the best Baptist possible. And I can say that because as a Baptist I am a believer first!

I have enjoyed many of the responses! I see we are all in this together, and trusting Him to get us to the narrow gate at the end of the narrow path. What a day that will be!

I'll see you all there, and we will all be washed of our theology and doctrinal biases! That will be glory! :laugh:

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

There you go Dr. Bob, you have passed the Evangelist6589 test. You are OK to hold services this Sunday.

Good thing you had that link to John MacArthur's site. :rolleyes:

What a bunch of nonsense.

5. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"

Has anyone signed up for: 6-point, unreformed, Anti-Pedo Baptist?

True Baptists are not Protestant Reformationists. The reformers hated Baptists, nearly as much as their mother.

Is there a light under the bushel?

Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#45 Bro. James, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  6. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually I value churches with solid doctrine. I will even recommend some non Cal churches like The Moody Church and others and at the same time disagree with some of their views and methods.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you make a snap judgment as to the quality of a church based on their TRACTS?!! Really?

Well, since Dr. Bob is the pastor and he did say this in his post...

....I don't see how you could miss it.

On second thought, I do see how you could miss it.

8. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

9. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's good in that it's a quick way to find out where someone stands, theologically.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And some use them to find personal faults in others.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not unless you were a Presby can you hold to all that Calvin taught though...

Would say that Reformed baptists do hold to the Conessions of faith, and the entire Covenant theology though, correct?

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are times and places to find out in detail what someone believes, but is a discussion board really that kind of place? I kind of doubt it. Never mind that these types of forums are not very good at transmitting nuance, which theology is absolutely full of.

Nuance for some of the more left-right, black-white, right-wrong types can be a difficult concept to grasp, but even when labels are taken to the extreme like Dr. Bob did, they still fail to communicate much useful information and may actually make the situation worse.

The originator of the question seems bent on jamming everyone into some category. Not sure why, but in doing so, he is missing actual discussion and discourse. Instead he gets mostly snarky answers to hollow questions that most already know have a "right" answer. That's not discussion or discourse, that's "let me show you why I'm right". I read evangelist6589 posts just to see what clever answers other members will come up with.

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

At the very least, they are entertaining. Or should I say, at the very most?

14. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBC. Our church is a mixture of Cals and Non-Cals, using a variety of different Bible versions.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What type of Baptist are you?
    Two questions seem to be being addressed:

1) What kind of Baptist is the responding person and,

2) What kind of Baptist Church does the responding person attend.

Answer for question 1: I am a 1 point Calvinist, (OSAS) and a two point Arminian, (Christ died for all mankind, and God elects individuals for salvation based on crediting their faith as righteousness.) I differ from both Arminian and Calvinist doctrine in that I believe we are chosen individually for salvation during our lifetime, not before the foundation of the world. Thus I believe Ephesians 1:4 refers to our corporate election as the target group of God's redemption plan, formulated before the foundation of the world. I also believe fallen men of flesh can understand the milk of the gospel, but being without the indwelling of the Spirit, cannot understand spiritual meat.

Answer to question 2:

I attend a non-denominational church affiliated with Conservative Baptists. Its doctrine splits the difference on election, asserting we are chosen individually before creation, yet, mysteriously, we come to faith autonomously. The "its a mystery but both are true" rationale. It believes Christ died for all men, not just the elect. When I teach (or contribute in small group settings) I am careful to adhere to our "What we believe" doctrinal statement and to never undercut our pastoral staff presentations from the pulpit.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You see, you are doing it again. You quote me and yet you are not able to understand that your assertion was dealt with in the quote. Is it pure laziness on your part, or what?

17. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Historic Northern Regular (as in the R of GARBC, though I'm not affiliated with that association) Baptist. Think New Hampshire Confession and Hisocox's New Directory. Try parsing that.

#57 robt.k.fall, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2014
  18. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    and then there are the other regular Baptists - as opposed to Particular Baptists

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far -- have we seen anyone who's even close to being exactly the same as someone else?

20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I line up quite well with Dr. Bob....except for that pesky Cal, non-Cal thing! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.