1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Sep 9, 2010.

1. rbell

rbell Active Member

OK, so your the minister at a church. You have a church bell, that with the exception of a 2-3 year stretch (mechanical problems) a few years ago, has rang for 100+ years.

It used to ring several times per day and all night. It has evolved into a couple times per day--one of those at 7 a.m.

Well, now...there's been a complaint. And of course, the city is threatening legal action, fines, etc. No surprises there.

The question: What would you do? Keep ringing? Comply? Try and make it softer? Fight the charges in court? Burn a Koran? (kidding on the last one)

What would be your course of action?

Background for this: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/h...urch_bell__neighbor_complains.html?page=2&c=y

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

1. Burn the bell.

2. Love tradition, watch Fiddler on the roof, and play the bell.

3. Think of how Christ-like it is to ring the bell at 7 a.m. in the morning. Adjust it to ring at 11 p.m. at night.

4. Relish in the fact that the church has been noticed, not for it's concern about things that Christ would have us concerned about, but for the fact that it rings a bell.

#2 SaggyWoman, Sep 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2010
  3. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be sensitive to your neighbors. Have the bell first sound at 9am and last at 7pm.

Then... go to the neighbor and apologize. An "I'm sorry" can go a long way in reaching people for Christ.

Just my humble (but accurate) opinion.

4. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Even telemarketers aren't supposed to call between the hours of 9p.m. and 9a.m. I wouldn't ring the bell during those hours, either.

We had a similar situation a few years ago in my in-laws town. The church bells weren't just ringing, they were ringing out entire hymns at least once a day. It was beautiful and a blessing to many, but the neighbors pitched a fit saying the bells were too loud and gave them headaches. So, the ringing stopped and so did the threat of lawsuits.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'd go with ringing it first at 8 AM (or 9 AM - whatever the ordinances are for leaf blowers).

6. billwald

billwald New Member

I would remember that if the neighborhood got a mosque they would want to play a call to prayer from a PA system 5 times a day.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

Reminds me of the old joke about the poor fella who lost both arms and both legs in a terrible accident.

He wanted to continue serving the church. Before his injury, he would ring the church bell every Sunday.

And with marked effort, he kept up that job. But the only way he could do it, was to get up the stairs, lean toward the bell, and smack it with his noggin.

But alas; one day, he lost his balance and fell several stories to his death. Moments after the fall, two passers-by walked up to where he fell.

Said one, "Did you know this guy?"
    Said the other, "I'm not sure of his name, but hs face rings a bell."

:D :D

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Another tragedy: the aforementioned guy had a brother, who felt compelled to carry on the tradition.

But one day, he slipped and fell as well...

The same two passers-by happened up on the tragic scene.

Said one, "Man! Another fall? Who was this guy?"

Said the other, "You can't tell? He's a dead ringer for his brother!"

:eek: :D

9. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'd probably go the route that SBC Preacher mentioned. I think it would set a good example and witness...

10. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

:laugh::tonofbricks:

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

rbell, you are dangerous.