1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What You Didn't Know About the Seventh-Day Adventists

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Feb 10, 2018.

1. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The central tenet of the SDA cult is a doctrine called, "The Investigative Judgement". Listen to what these people believe. It's utterly demonic, and replaces the finished work of Christ with Ellen White's legalism. It tramples underfoot the blood of Christ.

Start at 1:18

#1 thatbrian, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans and Galatians demolish their arguments, for its the words of an Inspired Apostle vrs words of a false prophetess!

3. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Church has become far too lax in dealing with cults and sects. Jesus and the Apostle Paul shredded them, but we are too polite to call out these wolves.

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    At this point I am almost shocked that you would choose to select an actual doctrine to discuss. !!

Nice going! -- what can be done to encourage more of this ?? I like it!!

The doctrine of the "investigative judgment" is essentially the name given to what you find when you "read" Daniel 7. -- books opend and court sits to "investigate" the facts and then "judgment is passed in favor of the saints"

Daniel 7

The Ancient of Days Reigns
    9 “I kept looking
    Until thrones were set up,
    And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
    His vesture was like white snow
    And the hair of His head like pure wool.
    His throne was ablaze with flames,
    Its wheels were a burning fire.
    10 “A river of fire was flowing
    And coming out from before Him;
    Thousands upon thousands were attending Him,
    And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him;
    The court sat,
    And the books were opene
    d.

21 I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and overpowering them 22 until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom.

And judgment based on deeds - also found in brief - in 2 Corinthians 5:10
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

And details explained even further in Romans
    Rom 2
    2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

======================================

Probably more Bible than you are willing to read - but some of your viewers may be fully prepared to read the Bible at this point.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Until you actually "read" the Bible.

6. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans and Galatians are in the Bible, Bob.

I know that you prefer apocalyptic texts which you can twist into any shape you wish, like Daniel and Revelation, but the above books of didactic teaching are where one should his doctrine from.

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Without even getting into how wrong the doctrine is, the so called, "Investigative Judgement" was created to cover the false prediction of the Lord's return in 1843 and 44. It is meant to deceive and save face.

This is yet another reason to refer to the SDA as a cult: deceptive practices designed to make its leaders look good.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    yes they are and I quoted a large portion of Romans 2 -- and can point out "bible details" in Gal 3 that do not fit your emotional arguments.

As stated previously step 1 "READ" the Bible texts that are central to the subject before posting.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your denial of Romans 2, 2 Cor 5:10 and Daniel 7 "noted"

You have unwittingly stepped into an actual doctrinal topic -- and now you seek to extricate yourself with compounded appeals to emotionalism.

How "instructive" for the unbiased objective readers.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think this is the thread Brian wishes he never started

11. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, and His gift to me obligates me to do what I can to promote what He promotes and to oppose what He opposes. I do not regret exposing the work of Satan. How could I? Why would I?

#11 thatbrian, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The purity of the gospel is, above all else, something that all Christians should be willing to die to defend, as it is the "power of God unto salvation". An adulterated gospel can't save. A gospel mixed with law is no gospel at all.

13. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2014 Tim Challies wrote a series called "The False Teachers". Here is his article on Ellen White.

In a sense, SDA is actually more insidious than Mormonism or the Jehovah's Witnesses. The errors of Mormonism and the Jehovah's Witnesses are pronounced and universally opposed by the majority of evangelicals. SDA is different. It does share some orthodox beliefs with evangelicals. These beliefs tend to obscure some of SDA's heretical doctrines from those who only give them a cursory view. That is where the SDA's insidious threat is seen. It is a mixture of orthodoxy and heresy, and it takes a keen eye to notice the difference. While I do not want to invest an inordinate amount of my time pointing out their errors, I agree with @thatbrian that we should expose the work of Satan, especially when it is right under our nose. If nothing else, it will be a valuable resource for board members who may have future questions on the topic.

Tim Challies links to a Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry (CARM) post on SDA beliefs. This is a helpful and concise list that breaks SDA's beliefs down into those that they affirm and deny. It also lists those beliefs that are considered aberrant to orthodox Christian doctrine. I know not everyone will click on links, so here is a snip from CARM's list:

What does Seventh-day Adventism teach?
    Affirmations

1. The Bible is inspired and the word of God.
    2. Trinitarian: The Father, Son, Holy Spirit are all one God in three persons.
    3. Jesus is God and has always existed with the Father.
    4. The Holy Spirit is a person.
    5. Jesus' sacrifice was vicarious.
    6. Salvation is by grace, not works.
    7. Jesus rose from the dead physically in his glorified body.
    8. Jesus ascended bodily into heaven.
    9. Baptism is by immersion
    10. The literal, visible return of Jesus.
    11. Jesus will return to set up a millennial kingdom. They are Premillennial.
    12. Literal six-day creation, not long periods.
    Denials

1. Denies the doctrine of predestination
    2. Denies baptism by sprinkling
    3. Denies infant baptism.
    4. Denies the immortality of the soul.
    5. Denies the eternality of hell fire.
    6. Denies any use of alcohol (as a drink) or tobacco.
    Aberrant

1. Our sins will ultimately be placed on Satan.1
    2. Jesus is Michael the Archangel.
    3. Worship must be done on Saturday (the Sabbath).
    4. On October 22, 1844 Jesus entered the second and last phase of his atoning work.
    5. Investigative Judgment - the fate of all people will be decided based upon this event in the future.
    6. The dead do not exist anymore -- soul sleep.
    7. The wicked are annihilated.
    8. Ellen G. White, the "founder" of Seventh-day Adventism, was a messenger from God gifted with the spirit of prophecy.
    9. There is a sanctuary in heaven where Jesus carries out his mediatorial work.

• 1.White, Ellen, The Great Controversy, p. 422, 485.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, why be so hard on a movement that does share some orthodox beliefs with evangelicalism? Because the seriousness of SDA's errors corrupts the gospel. An eye dropper amount of potassium cyanide in 32 ounces of water will kill you even though it is diluted 1893:1. Considering the gravity of SDA's error on the gospel the analogy should be clear. It is worth exposing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like many legalists within orthodox Christianity, what SDA officially say about salvation by grace through faith, not works, is far different from they practice, and at the end of that day, that's the problem.

Making crazy predictions won't condemn you to hell. Having prohibitions against alcohol won't condemn you to Hell. Having a Saturday Sabbath won't condemn you to Hell. BUT, having a false gospel will.

SDA mix faith and works, and they do it in the most insidious manner, with great duplicity and deception.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bingo! You beat me to it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is heartening to know we are unified in exposing this threat to the gospel.

18. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I actually saw a threat to a BB member, which is why I went on a bit of a rampage on this topic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reformed

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You probably have quoted this passage in the various SDA threads, but here is the reason why we must oppose any movement that corrupts the gospel:

Galatians 1:6-9 6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - and you find it by reading the actual Bible.

Let's start with the Bible texts on the gospel that you seem to be so anxious to avoid and yet are posted on page one of this thread.

Rom 2
    2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

And keep reading the Bible.

Rev 14
    6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.

So then you claim to not be a "New Covenant Christian"??? Seriously?

"This is the NEW Covenant that I will make.. I will write MY LAW on their heart and mind... and their sins I will remember no more"

More Bible please --- less creative writing.