1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

What You Didn't Know About the Seventh-Day Adventists

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by thatbrian, Feb 10, 2018.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    hint: No one on this board disagrees with the idea of opposing movements that corrupt the gospel.

Galatians 1:6-9 6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

Gal 3:8 "the GOSPEL was preached to Abraham"

Rom 2
    13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my Gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

Rev 14
    6 And I saw another angel flying in midheaven, having an eternal Gospel to preach to those who live on the earth, and to every nation and tribe and tongue and people; 7 and he said with a loud voice, “Fear God, and give Him glory, because the hour of His judgment has come; worship Him who made the heaven and the earth and sea and springs of waters.

2. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is strong language from the Apostle Paul, so if he was that upset about what was going on there, it should cause us to take gospel purity seriously. And many of us do, but many others don't see how these groups manipulate terms and add law-keeping to faith. They don't that this is a black or white issue. It's faith or works, and we know that because Paul pitted them against each other.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - and from the Apostle John

Agreed. Strong reason to avoid Bible-vacuous "sola emotionalism" and stick with "sola scriptura" testing of doctrine that actually allows you to "read" the Bible.

4. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Investigative Judgement", stands in direct opposition to John 3:18:

John 3:16–18

For God So Loved the World

[16] “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. [18] Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. (ESV)
    The SDA would rewrite verse 18 to say: Whoever observes the Sabbath is not condemned,, or Whoever purifies himself is not condemned, and dozens of other additions to the simplicity of the gospel.

And, let's see how the "Investigative Judgement" holds up to John 3:18. . . TBC

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    More emotionalism and creative writing. yawwwn

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yet another attempt by me to have a "bible based discussion" with someone totally opposed to the idea

=================================================================

The doctrine of the "investigative judgment" is essentially the name given to what you find when you "read" Daniel 7. -- books opend and court sits to "investigate" the facts and then "judgment is passed in favor of the saints"

Daniel 7

The Ancient of Days Reigns
    9 “I kept looking
    Until thrones were set up,
    And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
    His vesture was like white snow
    And the hair of His head like pure wool.
    His throne was ablaze with flames,
    Its wheels were a burning fire.
    10 “A river of fire was flowing
    And coming out from before Him;
    Thousands upon thousands were attending Him,
    And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him;
    The court sat,
    And the books were opene
    d.

21 I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and overpowering them 22 until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom.

And judgment based on deeds - also found in brief - in 2 Corinthians 5:10
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

And details explained even further in Romans
    Rom 2
    2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

======================================

7. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You really need to watch the video in the OP, Bob, or you will be off topic. Start it at 1 hr 17 min. Can't wait for your remarks after you watch it.

These escaped-SDA folks are the best.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your own OP says this is about the "Investigative Judgment" doctrine.

Do you now wish you had not posted it???

In case you are having difficulty reading your own post in the OP -

your nonsense emotional argument follows your opening comment stating that this thread is about doctrine... specifically the doctrine of the "Investigative Judgment".

Now you know what is going to happen ? I am going to point to "the bible" and you are going to wish you could talk about something other than what the Bible says on that doctrine. We both know it.

That is how you operate ---

we are seeing you do that here on this thread... "again"

#28 BobRyan, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  9. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The ONLY judgment of souls in Scripture is the Great White Throne judgment at the end of the millenium. However, God is omniscient, and He sends one's soul, at the moment of death, to the appropriate area of hades - torments for those who die unsaved, paradise for the righteous.No one sent to torments will go to heaven & no one in paradise will go to hell. The GWT judgment is merely the "official" affimmation of that which was decided during the mortal lifetimes of each soul.

Jesus does NOT need any "investigative judgment". In His omniscience & omnipotence, He has decided the "fate" of each soul during its mortal lifetime on earth.

An for the annihilation of the wicked, I recently posted two verses from Revelation in another thread, which prove that idea completely false.

SDA has a FORM of godliness while denying its power.

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Until you read the Bible --

the "investigative judgment" is essentially the name given to what you find when you "read" Daniel 7. -- books opend and court sits to "investigate" the facts and then "judgment is passed in favor of the saints"

Daniel 7

The Ancient of Days Reigns
    9 “I kept looking
    Until thrones were set up,
    And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
    His vesture was like white snow
    And the hair of His head like pure wool.
    His throne was ablaze with flames,
    Its wheels were a burning fire.
    10 “A river of fire was flowing
    And coming out from before Him;
    Thousands upon thousands were attending Him,
    And myriads upon myriads were standing before Him;
    The court sat,
    And the books were opene
    d.

21 I kept looking, and that horn was waging war with the saints and overpowering them 22 until the Ancient of Days came and judgment was passed in favor of the saints of the Highest One, and the time arrived when the saints took possession of the kingdom.

And judgment based on deeds - also found in brief - in 2 Corinthians 5:10
    10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

And details explained even further in Romans
    Rom 2
    2 And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3 But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who will render to each person according to his deeds: 7 to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8 but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9 There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10 but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.

12 For all who have sinned without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13 for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15 in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16 on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

26 So if the uncircumcised man keeps the requirements of the Law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27 And he who is physically uncircumcised, if he keeps the Law, will he not judge you who though having the letter of the Law and circumcision are a transgressor of the Law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh. 29 But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God.

======================================

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Already debunked on that other thread.. thanks for allowing it.

12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do :)....depending on what you mean by "opposing movements that corrupt the gospel".

In the context of our churches, or the body of Christ, I agree that we guard against such things. However we are not called to oppose movements that corrupt the gospel, but rather to guard (ourselves and our churches) against false doctrine and to spread the gospel message.

The reason I believe this is movements that corrupt the gospel are not Christian. Christians discern true doctrine and guard against false doctrine being taught in the church. Christians judge within the church, not without (the world). And Christians proclaim the gospel message to the world.

As an example, I would guard my church against Mormonism but I would not protest or oppose the Mormon church. Instead I would strive to share the gospel, the message and love of Christ. If I were a member of a forum that included Mormons, I may ask a few questions but I would not engage in debating Scripture because they are not Christian (to do otherwise would legitimize Mormon doctrine as being Christian).

13. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The best defense is a good offense. If we wait until the wolves are in the sheep pen, they surely will destroy some before we can react.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. We have to make our churches aware of false doctrines in our environment or they will creep into the church. I think we see this clearly with those like Joyce Myers and Joel Osteen.

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Promoting the truth of the Gospel - is to oppose efforts to infuse it with error and as Paul states in Gal 1:6-9 "let him be accursed" who introduces a false gospel

Islam, Hinduism, atheism etc are not "Christian" but they do not "Corrupt the Christian Gospel" because they don't claim to be teaching it in the first place.

Christians discern true doctrine and guard against false doctrine being taught in the church. Christians judge within the church, not without (the world). And Christians proclaim the gospel message to the world.

Certainly freedom of religion is a strong Christian value that we hold - but I have no problem participating in a discussion thread where a Mormon wants to present their view of the Gospel and where I am allowed to contrast what they actually teach as a denomination- - with the Bible itself.

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    True - but offensive emotionalism and name-calling -- half-truths - outright lies etc is not "a good offense" it is merely "offensive" and as was demonstrated on these threads it is not only offensive to the ones you are trying to villainize it is offensive to "your own".

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was speaking of religions like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, who have a corrupt version of the gospel. Paul wrote that they were to be accursed and that the church was to expel these kinds of teachers, guarding against these teachings. He also wrote that we are not to judge the world but those inside the church. These teachings go together.

I have no problem discussing beliefs with non-Christian groups, except it be under the guise of Christianity. When we speak of a denomination we are speaking of differences of the same kind. It assumes the organization to be Christian.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I know people that "used to be Jehovahs Witnesses" -- someone witnessed to them and they became Christians.

Tirades, insults, appeals to emotionalism and vitriol would not do it -- rather sound competent Bible study with "attention to details" combined with a kind of friendship evangelism is what was needed.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thatbrian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The two wolves you've mentioned are more of a problem than the SDA and Mormons combined.

20. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. Probably because they look more mainstream Christianity than the other two.