1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats wrong with the SBC churches in my area?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who caused the division?

#81 J.D., Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2011
  2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

To the OP: the IFB churches in my neck of the woods are dying on the vine. So I see the reverse of what you see. Just my observation.

3. humblethinker

humblethinker Active Member

Good question, and exactly the question I would propose for each situation. Even though it is usually the case, keep in mind, it's not only the pharasees that create division, demanding that their preference be honored, that traditions of man be strictly kept all to the exclusion of those who don't share their dogmatism.

4. drfuss

drfuss New Member

75% over 50?? Those in their 50 and early 60's were a part of the rock and roll music generation while teenagers, so it is not surprising that they may not object to it. Those over 65 were teenagers before the rock and roll music became popular and generally do not like it.

Concerning it being just me, I purposely have not tried to find out how many others don't like the harsh growling sound, and the loud drum beat music. However after our Bible study and prayer meeting this morning, I saw a group of men talking about the problem. Upon joining them, I found out that one fellow counted 38 People that stayed in the foyer for the 11AM service until the music part was over. No one counted those that stayed in the foyer for the 9:30 service which is about the same size as the 11AM service.

We come in the middle of the 8AM service. Although I have not counted those avoiding the song service at the 8AM service, I know there are others that come in late besides us. I usually avoid discussing it with people. It appears that up to 100 people out of about 1700, avoid the songs part of the service; with a number of those who sit through it, complaining about the harsh growling sound and the loud drum beat music.

I assure you it is not just me who is unbappy with the harsh growling sound and the loud drum beat music.

5. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I think the easy thing is to point fingers at the music and leave it there. I'm with the previous poster, 6 SBC churches within 20 minutes?!?!?! But then again I'm pastoring in a town of 3000 with 3 SBC churches, one was a legitimate church plant started by the church I'm at when that was still the "country" and the other decided to split the wrong way 30 years ago. And when I get really stressed people have asked me, "Why not start a new church" and my response is "aren't we church saturated enough?!?!"
    I think the problem is in what the church isn't doing to reach the community and is way to egocentric for God's good.

6. humblethinker

I recently recently heard statistics indicating that increasing the amount of churches in a metropolitan area increased the ratio of believers to non-believers. Wouldn't that be the effect of obeying the great commission?

This makes sense, doesn't it?

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe in a metropolitan area, yes. But he was talking about his town of 3,000 with 3 SBC churches.

8. humblethinker

Is it the case that there could not be a sizeable congregation out of those remaining 2000 unchurched people, which might be able to reach even more of the unchurched?

9. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand what you are saying, but 1 SBC church per 1,000 people is a far cry from the 1 SBC church per 250,000 or so in NYC or probably 1 per 10 million or so in missionary areas.

Everyone needs Jesus, but if we are starting churches, I'd rather spend money, time, tears and effort in an unreached area rather than an area where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an evangelical church.

10. humblethinker

I am sympathetic to what you are saying. The reason I first replied was because I didn't think that 1:1000 was to be considered as 'saturated'. I also agree with you that 1:10mil is even further from the idea of being saturated.

11. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

I agree that I would not want to be part of the loud and unruly music that you have described. Each person who is dissatisfied needs to speak to the pastor privately. Now that would get his attention if 100 people asked to see him privately about the same issue. If he will not listen then graciously leave without causing any confusion and find another church or start one and have the kind of music you like. 100 people starting a church is a very good start-up.

#91 freeatlast, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
  12. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, and when they leave, the dialectical change-management-by-consensus will have worked to perfection. No need to rise up before the hoary head where there ain't one. Thank you RW.

"Thou shalt rise up before the hoary head, and honour the face of the old man, and fear thy God: I am the LORD." (Lev 19:32)

13. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I purposely dont set foot in the church till maybe 11:30 AM........I give them time to play that stuff they call praise music & I'm 54.

14. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

My hubby is going to be 51 and he PLAYS that praise music. :D

15. humblethinker

While in search of a new church to attend this year we've been to more than a few contemporary churches and I am surprised at the number of 'gray headed' people that are participating and expressing much approval for the contemporary worship music. No hymnbooks, piano, organ. A band (electric and acoustic guitars, keyboards, drums, etc.) instead.

I've been to churches that were started 10 years ago and that has been their worship style from day one. If there is an older person who objects to the worship then who is causing the division?

It is the nature of systems and organizations to increasingly resist change.
    It is the nature of systems and organizations to increasingly turn inward.

16. Old Union Brother

Old Union Brother New Member

We are totally acapella.

17. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Euuuuucccckkkkk!

18. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And thats more like it! :love2:

19. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

You don't see these people talking about how they can't participate in the church's worship because of the music? Is "leave if you don't like it" the only thing you can offer them?

And don't tell me about having a tradition service for them. As has been stated by others, and as I have myself experienced, most of the traditional services don't come close. One verse of one hymn followed by three christian campfire songs and a choir/solo special does not make a service traditional.

20. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

#100 J.D., Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.