1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Whats wrong with this picture?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

"The expected political brawl over President Bush’s second Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers might not ever take place – because it was a powerful Democrat, Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, who had urged her selection."

"Despite misgivings among some Republicans over the nomination of Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court, Vice President Dick Cheney promises that her "judicial philosophy" is in line with conservative beliefs."

Something stinks. :confused:

source

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Well, if Newsmax says it, then must be 100% accurate :eek:

Of course, from the same NewsMax:

"Attorney Jay Sekulow is confidently optimistic about President Bush's nomination of Harriet Miers to the U.S. Supreme Court. Unlike so many who are commenting, pro or con, on the nomination, Sekulow has actually worked with the nominee."

I happen to have a bit of respect for Sekulow, as his views tend to be not politically swayed. His opinion is sufficient to put to rest concerns, at least for me.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with the Miers nomination. Looks pretty good to me. I imagine the radical Left and the radical Right will not be happy.

4. Repent62

Repent62 New Member

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Is it no fun for you unless the Democrats get outraged?

6. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

Is it no fun for you unless the Democrats get outraged? </font>[/QUOTE]----------------------------
    Thats not it Daisy. If we had a democratic president and they nominated a SC Justice, and Tom Delay jumped up and said "oh yea, we like this one", you would be sweating bb"s also. :D

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, nothing can be good unless the Left and the Right are at each other's throat on an issue. [​IMG]

8. rivers1222

rivers1222 Member

------------------------
    Actually Ken, you are correct. At least if you are committed to a cause, or agenda. Things are very polarized on both sides, and it will take leaders, on both sides, to correct it. And it will not happen over night.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's why I'm glad I have decided to soften my conservative stances, especially on non-cultural issues.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harry Reid doesn't bother me.

Now, if Hillary Clinton came out in favor . . . then I'd worry.

11. Priscilla Ann

Priscilla Ann Member

I don't think any of us knows enough about Harriet Miers yet. So far, I have no problem with her nomination. I'm encouraged by the fact that she doesn't seem to be a favorite of the extreme right or the extreme left. She seems to have the respect of most moderates. Let's wait and see what the hearings reveal....

12. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

------------------------
    Actually Ken, you are correct. At least if you are committed to a cause, or agenda. Things are very polarized on both sides, and it will take leaders, on both sides, to correct it. And it will not happen over night.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I agree, that in the political positioning today, we on the right are more and more polorized from those on the left, because the good vrs. evil fight is becoming cleared all the time. It remains to be seen her true colors I suppose, but I doubt a strict constructionist viewpoint.

13. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I wish you would define, "radical left and right"

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Many presidents consulted regularly with the opposition party before nominating judges. This did lead to less rancor in the hearings.

15. Bunyon

Bunyon New Member

Considering that the Democrats official party stance is for unrestricted abortion and Homosexual "rights". I am not sure how a Christian can support them , wheather or not they support any other party, or wheather they are conservative or liberal. Considering this, why would a christian not be concerned if the Demos supported a candidate.

16. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Harry Reid is in the hip pocket of trial lawyers and their association.

Since Miers was a long time trial lawyer, he may feel he is protecting his largest contributors when and if any case having to do with tort reform ever gets before the Supreme Court.

17. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Uh-oh!

Even former White House speechwriter, David Frum, questioned Miers' suitability for the post: "In the White House that hero worshipped the president, Miers was distinguished by the intensity of her zeal: She once told me that the president was the most brilliant man she had ever met."

Oh my.

Perhaps her judgement isn't what it ought to be.

***** running, ducking tomatoes ******

18. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Attorney Jay Sekulow supports Miers. He knows her first hand. Sekulow has actually worked with her. I happen to have a bit of respect for Sekulow, as his views tend to be not politically swayed. His opinion is sufficient to put to rest concerns, at least for me.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann Coulter on the right, Michael Moore on the left.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Gay rights are, but not unrestricted abortion. We really don't know what Mier's views on these issues are.

Surprise, surprise, some Christians are Democrats and some conservatives are not Christians.