1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where did the Wrath of God go? Part 2

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Mar 21, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry...that wasn't me. That was Martin Luther. I was on my phone and the reference ended up as another post. Luther’s Works, 10:228.

I was just offering the opinion of a Reformer.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about the Church Father's"? We have not discussed the fact that they viewed the Cross as Satan rather than God causing Christ's death and suffering.

Omnipotent Wisdom (1 Cor 1:24), coming into the "heart of the earth" (Matt 12:40), was able to make "utterly foolish" (καταμωραναι, compare Rom 1:22; 1 Cor 1:18) that great "Mind" (compare Isa 10:12) which dwells in it, turning his counsel to folly, and catching the wise one (σοφός) in his cunning (πανουργία) and turning back upon him his clever devices (σοφά εγχειρήματα). For this reason, having swallowed the bait (δέλεαρ) of the flesh, he was pierced with the fishhook (αγκιστρον) of deity, and so the dragon (δράκων) was caught with the fishhook, just as it is said in the book of Job, "You shall catch the dragon with a fishhook" (Job 40:25). Gregory of Nyssa

“wherefore he who had led man captive [the Devil], was justly captured in his turn by God.” Irenaeus

The ‘Light shines in the darkness’ (John 1:5) of this life and in this weak flesh, and though persecuted by the darkness it is not overtaken by it (John 1:5)—I mean the opposing power which shamelessly assailed the visible (τω φαινομένω) Adam, but instead encountered God and was defeated... . For since the specious advocate (σοφιστής) of evil baited us with the promise of divinity (compare Gen 3:6), he was himself baited by the snare (πρόβλημα) of the flesh. In attacking [the new] Adam, he encountered God, and the condemnation of the flesh was abolished (Rom 5:16, 18), death being put to death by the flesh. Gregory Nazianzus

3. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not propitiated towards the sins of those who do not believe, but no one who comes to Christ in repentance and faith will be told, "I'm sorry, but there's not enough of Christ's blood to go round," or "Your sins are too serious for Christ to atone for." Christ's merits are sufficient for the sins of the world 100 times over, and 'everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved.' This is basic Reformed doctrine. I thought you learned about it somewhere.

4. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That Satan was defeated at the cross is not at issue. What is at issue is how it was done. Gregory does not really tell us here, but he does so elsewhere:

"For my sake He was called a curse, who destroyed my curse; and sin, who taketh away the sin of the world.; and became a new Adam to take the place of the old, just so He makes my disobedience His own as Head of the whole body. As long then as I am disobedient and rebellious, both by denial of God and by my passions, so long Christ is call disobedient on my account. [Fourth Theological Oration]

I think Gregory's theology is a bit shaky, but his argument is that believers are united to Christ, the 'Head of the whole body,' and that our sins are thereby transferred to Him - 'He makes my disobedience His own.' This is the reason, he argues, that Christ 'was called a curse ... and sin.' He took 'the sin of the world' upon Himself and suffered the curse of God 'for my sake.' He was not Himself a sinner and was not cursed for his own sin, but for 'the sin of the world.' So Gregory believed in Penal Substitution. :)

5. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Penal and Substitution (Substitution as ontological and as representative). Gregory continued -

As long then as I am disobedient and rebellious, both by denial of God and by my passions, so long Christ also is called disobedient on my account. But when all things shall be subdued unto Him on the one hand by acknowledgment of Him, and on the other by a reformation, then He Himself also will have fulfilled His submission, bringing me whom He has saved to God. For this, according to my view, is the subjection of Christ; namely, the fulfilling of the Father's Will. But as the Son subjects all to the Father, so does the Father to the Son; the One by His Work, the Other by His good pleasure, as we have already said. And thus He Who subjects presents to God that which he has subjected, making our condition His own. Of the same kind, it appears to me, is the expression, "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" It was not He who was forsaken either by the Father, or by His own Godhead, as some have thought, as if It were afraid of the Passion, and therefore withdrew Itself from Him in His Sufferings (for who compelled Him either to be born on earth at all, or to be lifted up on the Cross?) But as I said, He was in His own Person representing us. For we were the forsaken and despised before, but now by the Sufferings of Him Who could not suffer, we were taken up and saved. Similarly, He makes His own our folly and our transgressions; and says what follows in the Psalm, for it is very evident that the Twenty-first Psalm refers to Christ.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was just quoting Martin Luther for JesusFan. I'm not a Lutheran.

7. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a whole lot of verbiage here, and the idea that God forsook Christ on the cross because He was afraid of the passion strikes me as blasphemous. This is one of the problems with the ECFs: you can find almost any doctrine you want if you try hard enough. But what I quoted is enough to show that Gregory believed in Penal Substitution.

One other thing: can you point me to a text that clearly states that Satan put Christ on the cross? I know that the Jews, chief priests, Herod and Pilate did and I know that God did (Isaiah 53:10), but I can't off-hand think of a text which says that Satan was directly responsible as your post #102 states. So help me out.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh....I'm not claiming anything about his view EXCEPT it is not Penal Substitution.

You consider my view Penal Substitution (I believe Christ died for us, His flesh for our flesh, His life for our life). Others, who recognize I do not hold Penal Substitution Theory, will also see where it is lacking in others.

9. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't consider your view Penal Substitution. You have told me often enough that it isn't.
    But I would like to know from you exactly what you think "His flesh for our flesh; His life for our life actually means.

One other thing: can you point me to a text that clearly states that Satan put Christ on the cross? I know that the Jews, chief priests, Herod and Pilate did and I know that God did (Isaiah 53:10), but I can't off-hand think of a text which says that Satan was directly responsible as your post #102 states. So help me out.

10. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not trying to be difficult.

Why do you not consider my view Penal Substitution? I affirm every quote you offered of the ECF's which "proved" they held the theory.

You said holding "His flesh for our flesh and His life for our life" was proof of Penal Substitution. I absolutely believe that - and without redefining anything...I believe the statement literally true.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do not believe Satan put Christ on the Cross. I believe He lay down His own life.

But I also believe Genesis 3 contained a prophecy (it is not that snakes bite people and men kill the snakes).

12. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Theology and doctrines derived from inspired Apostles, not Ecf!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JesusFan

The trinity agreed to have the Cross as means and basis to save lost sinners from eternity past, as Giod the father determined to have the messiah nailed to that Cross as the great sin bearer for his own people, and the Son agreed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JesusFan

Jesus suffered and took upon Himself what was due to us as sinners!

15. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I came across this post by accident just now. @JonC has given me a sex change and I am now called Maryin. :Rolleyes I just want it to be known that I have not backtracked in the slightest in my view. But that view is not that the Trinity is not taught in Scripture - and you ought to be ashamed of yourself, JonC, for suggesting such a thing - but that the Doctrine of Penal Substitution is just as clearly taught in Scripture as the Trinity is, which means very clearly indeed.

16. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because you cannot or will not articulate what you believe the words mean.

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Laugh. New phone. It writes what it wants.

The Trinity exists in the writings of Scripture. Penal Substitution Theory does not.

18. Martin Marprelate

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's OK, but I may call you JoanC from time to time.
    The Trinity exists in the writings of Scripture, as does the Doctrine of the Trinity.
    There is no text that says "God is a Trinity." There is a text that says that Christ "was pierced for our transgressions."

19. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sometimes it just makes up words. I type God, it writes Gid. Maybe that one's just my big fingers.

The text does not have to say "God is a trinity" for the doctrine that God is triune to be in Scripture. And the doctrine is in the text of Scripture.

The text does not have to say "Penal Substitution" for the Theory to be correct. But the doctrine does have to be in the text of Scripture, and it is not.

There are no passages that state God must punish to forgive. This is the philosophy through which you interpret the Atonement. You rightly believe divine justice means God punished the wicked, but through your philosophy you understand this to mean God must punish sins to forgive sinners.

20. JesusFan

There is divine wrath of God towards sinners that must be propitiated, as that is the atonement, in your system, how is that done then. if Jesus blood and death as the sin bearer propitiated wrath of god towards us rightly due?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.