1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Where does Faith come from?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Reformed1689, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Particular

Particular Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    God declared that the iniquity of the Amorites was complete. Where it seems we differ is that I see God driving the events rather than the Amorites driving the events and God sits in the passenger seat to wait for the inevitable crash.

2. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hello, David.

The hardening I am referencing is judicial. I agree there is a situational hardening that God has used (ex. Romans 9 with Pharaoh).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    we must with modesty and humility yield to the secret counsel of God...
    Since He had given that land to the Amorites...He intimates, that He will not, without just cause, transfer the possession of it to others...Until, therefore, they shall have deserved, by their sins, to be rightfully expelled..
    Moreover, the Lord here commends his own longsuffering..the Lord not only bore with them for a short time, but granted them four centuries for repentance...God out of heaven is silently waiting until iniquities shall fill up their measure

What of the above do you not agree with?
    This is God driving all events, where He's included His longsuffering waiting for repentance among the events He drives, foreseeing all eventualities perfectly.

4. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know what a judicial hardening is - I simply understand it as sinners being dead in their sins. Sin itself is deceptive and hardens the heart - God needn't cause anything for this to occur. In fact, God exhorts against this, calling for sinners to repent and live - where God desires against the hardening of their hearts.

This is different from when God actively causes events that lead to a purposeful hardening of hearts for their destruction in judgement. Here, God is turned against them in wrath and desires their hardening unto destruction. Pharaoh, Amorites, Israel after Jesus - if you wish to call this situational, I'd say these span massive situations. Semantics aside, if we can distinguish between God's disposition between the two cases, we'd be in agreement.

5. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    You state:
    "God out of heaven is silently waiting until iniquities shall fill up their measure."
    I disagree that God silently waits.
    You place God in the passenger seat as he waits for the crash.
    I place God in the driver's seat as he moves the car to crash because the Amorites are wicked and his judgment is sure.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. Scott Downey

Scott Downey Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is talking about nationally, as in wiping out the entire nation or most of them. Individually they were headed towards wrath their whole life, but nationally the destruction was delayed to fulfill God's purposes for Israel to take, inherit the promised land.

7. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do I personally have anything to do with your disagreeing? If you were to remove me from this conversation and instead inserted a calvinist, why Calvin himself, would you still disagree with this interpretation? Because this is plain scripture and irrespective of where else we disagree on theological positions, shouldn't we read this the same?

8. ivdavid

ivdavid Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Borrowing from the arminian corporate-individual distinction? :)

But God's purposes for Israel to take the land is expressly revealed to be delayed because the Amorites' iniquity is not yet completed. God's principle for the Sum should be equally valid for the Parts, right?

9. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree with your argument. If someone else made your same argument I would disagree with them. Calvin is not correct in every view he held.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Particular

Faith:
    Baptist
    God drove the events.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, it is speaking of their Nation.
    Just like God speaking of Esau in this way,
    Obadiah 1:8
    “Will I not in that day,” says the Lord, “Even destroy the wise men from Edom, And understanding from the mountains of Esau?
    Obadiah 1:9
    Then your mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, To the end that everyone from the mountains of Esau May be cut off by slaughter.
    Obadiah 1:18
    The house of Jacob shall be a fire, And the house of Joseph a flame; But the house of Esau shall be stubble; They shall kindle them and devour them, And no survivor shall remain of the house of Esau,” For the Lord has spoken.
    Obadiah 1:19
    The South shall possess the mountains of Esau, And the Lowland shall possess Philistia. They shall possess the fields of Ephraim And the fields of Samaria. Benjamin shall possess Gilead.

12. Scott Downey

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amorite individual people did not live for 400 years while Israel was in Egypt. So God is not talking about individual Amorite but all the Amorites along with the other nations Israel is about to dispossess.

And there was also the NEPHILIM in the land. In genesis God destroyed all the corrupted people who had been corrupted by Nephilim, and now we see they have established their stronghold over the land Israel was to posses. This was a work of the enemy to oppose the prophecies God had given. In Genesis, it was about the coming Messiah to be born, who had to be pure, uncorrupted and have no part in Satan's physical influence in the flesh over the entire world, so only Noah was perfect in all his generations, (think DNA) the rest of mankind had been altered by the Nephilim into the seed of the serpent as the fallen angels had taken human women as wives and had children by them, corrupting all flesh. This is not just spiritually corrupted, everything about all flesh had at that time corrupted itself from how God had made them. And the solution was a global extinction of all flesh that breathed air to eliminate that satanic breeding. The same thing was happening again.

Exodus 23:23
    For My Angel will go before you and bring you in to the Amorites and the Hittites and the Perizzites and the Canaanites and the Hivites and the Jebusites; and I will cut them off.
    Exodus 33:2
    And I will send My Angel before you, and I will drive out the Canaanite and the Amorite and the Hittite and the Perizzite and the Hivite and the Jebusite.
    Numbers 21:34
    Then the Lord said to Moses, “Do not fear him, for I have delivered him into your hand, with all his people and his land; and you shall do to him as you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who dwelt at Heshbon.”
    Numbers 22:2
    Now Balak the son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites.
    Numbers 32:39
    And the children of Machir the son of Manasseh went to Gilead and took it, and dispossessed the Amorites who were in it.
    Amos 2:9, Nephilim giants of large stature
    “Yet it was I who destroyed the Amorite before them, Whose height was like the height of the cedars, And he was as strong as the oaks; Yet I destroyed his fruit above And his roots beneath.
    Amos 2:10
    Also it was I who brought you up from the land of Egypt, And led you forty years through the wilderness, To possess the land of the Amorite.

Numbers 13:32-33 New King James Version (NKJV)
    32 And they gave the children of Israel a bad report of the land which they had spied out, saying, “The land through which we have gone as spies is a land that devours its inhabitants, and all the people whom we saw in it are men of great stature. 33 There we saw the [a]giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
    Footnotes:
    Numbers 13:33 Heb. nephilim

etc...

Genesis 6:4
    There were giants on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown.
    Numbers 13:33
    There we saw the giants (the descendants of Anak came from the giants); and we were like grasshoppers in our own sight, and so we were in their sight.”
    Deuteronomy 2:11
    They were also regarded as giants, like the Anakim, but the Moabites call them Emim.
    Deuteronomy 2:20
    (That was also regarded as a land of giants; giants formerly dwelt there. But the Ammonites call them Zamzummim,
    Deuteronomy 3:11
    “For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of the giants. Indeed his bedstead was an iron bedstead. (Is it not in Rabbah of the people of Ammon?) Nine cubits is its length and four cubits its width, according to the standard cubit.
    Deuteronomy 3:13
    The rest of Gilead, and all Bashan, the kingdom of Og, I gave to half the tribe of Manasseh. (All the region of Argob, with all Bashan, was called the land of the giants.
    Joshua 12:4
    The other king was Og king of Bashan and his territory, who was of the remnant of the giants, who dwelt at Ashtaroth and at Edrei,
    Joshua 13:12
    all the kingdom of Og in Bashan, who reigned in Ashtaroth and Edrei, who remained of the remnant of the giants; for Moses had defeated and cast out these.

#92 Scott Downey, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    indeed, for just as in Revelation, Jesus is bring everything to its conclusion per His will and time!

• Like Like x 1
  14. The_5_Solas

The_5_Solas New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Faith comes from God.

• Like Like x 2
  15. JosephBKuzara

JosephBKuzara Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

• Like Like x 1