1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which are you?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Mikey, Jul 27, 2018.

?

Which do you fall into?

Poll closed Aug 24, 2018.
  1. 1689 Federalist

15.0%
  2. Progressive Dispensationalist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Revised Dispensationalist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Classical Dispensationalist

20.0%
  5. Arminian

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other Baptist

60.0%
  7. Other Denomination (please state)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Calvinist

25.0%
  9. Free Will Baptist

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. NCT

10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have posted my positions many times. What i am not going to do is repost them for others to see whether or not they agree I am not an Arminian. I tell you I'm not and that should be good enough. Anyone who tries to lable me with that moniker doesn't get a response from me.

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think some of the "northern-ness" of the Philadelphia "line of descent" can be skewed by later events in Baptist history. That is, many Baptists in the south have some historical connection back to PBA as well. The work of the Philadelphia Association reached north, south (e.g., the missionary journeys of Gano, Miller and Vanhorn into North Carolina), east, and west, and many early associations in different directions adopted the Philadelphia Confession of Faith and corresponded with the Philadelphia Association.
    To which Baptist Union do you refer?

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems to me that the primary historic use of "Regular Baptist" was simply another name for the Particular Baptists -- probably because they made up the great majority, in order to distinguish them from "irregular Baptists" such as Six-Principle, Seventh-Day, Open Communion, etc., and possibly some of them weren't quite as "Particular" as the majority of them. In his The Annual Register of the Baptist Denomination, in North-America (1792), John Asplund divides the "Faith and Order" of North American Baptists as (p. 47):

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Per my former favorite rock band"dazed and confused".

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hopefully Raptured/Second Coming saint, and that will rtealise that I was not right with any of those labels probably!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe our brother is best found here?
    http://evangelicalarminians.org/

7. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see a distinction between a reformed baptist/Calvinistic/Particular Baptist?

8. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, well, you are temperamental today. I have read your posts throughout many discussions of Calvinism. I have not seen any of your views that disagree with Classical Arminianism. If I had, I would not have asked you the question. Since your bloomers are in a bunch, so be it.

9. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    well Calvinist is often used in reference to Soteriology and not for all what Calvin taught (reformed?) and this is how I use it.

Reformed Baptist and Particular Baptists I would consider broadly the same. With Particular Baptist used for 1600s etc, a historic term, with Reformed being a more modern word used.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinistic Baptists tend to not use any Confessions, nor to adopt full on Covenant theology...

11. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinistic is a broad term that they hold to TULIP but can encompasses a number of positions . So you can be Calvinistic and either be CT or Dispe it doesn't specify.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. John D. Wright

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm a classical dispensationalist, pre-trib, pre-millenial. I believe in eternal security but I'm not a Calvinist or Arminian. I'm also not a Lordship Salvationist but that sometimes depends on who you ask for the definition.

14. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Today, most I know that identify as Particular Baptists are Calvinists who don't like the person Calvin and do not want to identify with him.

15. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I won't pretend to speak for Revmitchell, but I think the main point that distinguishes modern Southern Baptist Traditionalism from Classical Arminianism is the approach to the security of the believer. Traditionalism says, "We deny even the possibility of apostasy" while CA questions whether it might be possible if one forsakes Christ and returns to the world, and they think it "must be more particularly determined out of the Holy Scripture" through further study.

On the other hand, Classical Arminianism has a much stronger allegiance to total depravity, which appears to me to be watered down in the Traditional Statement, and doesn't reflect how it was taught to me in "traditional Baptist churches."
    vs.

• Informative Informative x 2
  16. 1689Dave

1689Dave Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    At this point in my walk with the Lord, my theological ingredients contain the following: Baptized by immersion in the Name of Jesus Christ as a Trinitarian believer. I believe the first 3 of the 5 points of Calvinism reflect what scripture teaches and most of the Westminster Confession and 1689 Baptist confession. The church is Christ's body made up of believers only and is biblical Israel with physical Israel broken off because of unbelief. (Reattached in part through faith in Christ). Christ's kingdom is spiritual and a present reality centered in heaven where he reigns over earth from David's throne. The Schleitheim Confession (Anabaptist) is closest to New Testament ethics. It defines the Christian's, and the Church's separation from the State. On the last day the believer’s bodily resurrection, also called Israel's restoration, happens. Followed by the rapture of the living saints. Followed by the bodily resurrection of the wicked who in judgment enter hell as the universe explodes. Followed by God’s creating the new heavens and earth where we will live forever in God's Glory.

17. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    which 3 of the 5 points do you agree with.

18. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe the first 3 are right. But I take exception with irresistible grace and perseverance of the saints. They make faith a condition and the word the means of grace. I believe the new birth (salvation) happens before we hear the word and it is our nature to persevere in a less legalistic manner.

19. Mikey

Mikey Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    so you would see faith being part of works righteousness?

20. 1689Dave

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe if faith is a condition we must meet before God saves us, the gospel becomes law instead of grace. And salvation is by works instead of grace. But if God saves us through regeneration, we will believe the gospel whenever we hear it and will also seek repentance from sin and live a holy life because of the nature of the new birth. That is to say, we believe because God saved us. He did not save us because we chose to believe.