1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Which Study Bible Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jkdbuck76, Dec 31, 2012.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, we are not done, Reason: That is not a true statement. What I want you to do is back up this claim of yours from post #42:

So what I want to see is your reference of the notes in the Ryrie Study Bible which back up your claim above. This thread is about study Bibles or did your forget that?

That's what I want to see, Ryrie study Bible notes that get the theology of salvation wrong. What I want to see are Ryrie study Bible notes that do not teach the same thing as the scripture-specifically Jesus.

If that is your definition of arguing then so be it.

2. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

I too would like to see that. I've used and given away many Ryrie Study Bibles and have heard him speak many times and I never seen or heard it from him. I know he is in the Free Grace camp.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So quotes from Ryrie from a theological book he wrote specifically arguing this point are not acceptable evidence? That's more than a little strange.

Regarding the Ryrie Study Bible, I no longer have a copy of it. It literally fell apart from heavy use many years ago. As far as I can tell, it is not freely available online either. If you find it, let me know and I'll guide you to the section in the back that gives a systematic breakdown of his theology of salvation.

I guess you're going to need to go find a copy of the Ryrie Study Bible to reference since I don't have one anymore and I'm certainly not going to buy one.

Furthermore, I have laid out in post just previous to yours what I believe the gospel of Jesus to be, more or less, directly from the scripture. If you know anything about Ryrie, you will know it is quite different.

To humor you, I'll check our church library on Sunday to see if they have a copy of the Ryrie Study Bible, and if they do, I'll take a few notes and give you references. However, there are many different editions/printings/translations so the page numbers probably won't be consistent.

Even then, I doubt you will take my word on it.

4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my opinion, the "Free Grace" position is in error. That's exactly the issue. Ryrie helped define and clarify the "Free Grace" position in the late 1980s-early 1990s. The Ryrie Bible reflects that position.

5. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Well my friend we will disagree on that. I too hold to that. I've held that view from way back in the 50's before it had a name as such.

6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand. It has been the prevailing view for much of the last 100 years in Baptist life.

However it doesn't matter what you and I think. The real question is whether or not it matches up with what Jesus (and Paul) preached?

I don't think it does: Part One Part Two

If I am in error, please show me from the teachings of Jesus how I am in error.

7. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you need a free copy I will send you one of mine

If you need a free copy I will send you one of mine.

We are talking about study Bibles. You make a claim about the Ryrie study Bible that I want you to prove. Your personal theology while nice to have does not prove your claims against the notes in the Ryrie study Bible.

I will send you a copy of Ryrie in either the newer expanded version in the NIV or the mid 70s NASB. Which one do you need to back up your claim regarding the Ryrie study Bible?

I seriously doubt it will ever get to that point.

8. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Believer threw away his Ryrie study Bible due to bad theology. But he recommends The Life with God Study Bible.

The Life with God Study Bible, published by Renovare. See their theology here:
    http://www.renovare.us/WHOWEARE/MinistryTeamandStaff/RenovaréMinistryTeam/tabid/2367/Default.aspx

The Life with God Study Bible: here are some of the good Life with God SB note authors Baptist Believer likes. Remember Baptist Believer recommends this study Bible (Ryrie bad, these are good)......

Felicia Smith-Graybeal (Priest Episcpal Church) (Wisedom of Soloman)

Darlene Hyatt (Adjunct Asbury College) (Matthew)

Ralph W. Kline (Professor Lutheran School of Theology) (1-2 Chromicles)

William R. Long (Attorney) (Job, Judith, Baruch, Letter of Jeremiah, Prayer of Manasseh, Tobit)

Howard R. Macy (author: Rythums of Inner Life) (Psalm 151)

Barbara M. Musselman (Priest Episcpal Church) (Joel, Jonnah, Habakkuk)

Eugene Peterson (Romans)

Rebecca J. Kruger-Gaudino (pastor: United Church of Christ) (1-2 Kings)

David A. de Silva (Ashland TS) (1-4 Maccabees)

Peter Enns (former of Westminster TS) (Additions to Daniel)

#68 thomas15, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2013
  9. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    To refresh memories:

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goodness, you are quite the liar. I explicitly told you that my Ryrie Bible fell apart because of extensive use. I don't throw away books because of bad theology. I keep them for reference when I can.

False accusations are not evidence of a person who is walking with God.

Here's a distortion. I DO NOT recommend that people buy and use study Bibles in general. I stated that in my first respone on this thread. But the OP stated that he didn't want people just to say that, so I offered my best recommendation based upon the criteria of the OP.

I never made such a claim.

I like a couple of these people (Eugene Peterson for example), but I do not vouch for any of them. Just because they have written something for this work does not mean I agree with every one of their positions.

You are using the foolish "guilt by association" argument again, along with blatant dishonesty.

Another lie.

Jesus declared Himself to be The Truth (John 14:6).

The devil is the father of lies (John 8:44).

Your actions display the attributes of only one of these persons.

You need to start obeying Jesus and start telling the truth.

Mature adults who DON'T know Jesus can have disagreements and not resort to lies and name calling. the standard for a Christian should be much higher that that!!

11. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  12. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    We will let the readers decide if I'm a liar or not.

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll leave that to them. I now know you are a liar, so I don't feel any obligation to take you seriously anymore.

I'm done.

14. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not again?

15. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, maybe you didn't toss it in the can so to speak but one could infer that since you need a copy to prove your point, you no longer have your Ryrie. So I appologize if I took that point incorrectly.

My offer to send you one free still stands. In fact, pick any edition of the Ryrie SB and I will get a copy to you.

16. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    thompson Chain/Master Study Bible/Kay Arthur study bible

All 3 of them force you intop actually studying the bible itself!

17. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks everybody.

The Ryrie and the MacArthur (in hardback) arrived yesterday.

Secondary question: What if I'm in Seminary or a Pastor.....what would be the study Bible of choice? I mean, these things were made for popular consumption. But what do the professors use (if anything)???

18. thomas15

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not a pastor but I know or have known pastors to use both of the study Bibles you have. However, while they contain much information they are not exhaustive by any means. So a pastor or serious student of the word may wish to consider other works such as commentaries, using the study Bible notes as a quick intro.

The MacArthur commentary for Matthew is 4 volumes and approx 1700 pages in total.

Check this link out for expository students http://verticallivingministries.com...irst-750-books-for-an-expositor-of-gods-word/

#78 thomas15, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  19. Herald

Herald New Member

Well, they most likely are not allowed to use study bibles in class. The reason is that study bibles take an interpretative step that seminary students are learning how to do. A study bible would be like having the answers to a test scribbled on the tops of your sneakers. Greek and Hebrew exegesis is usually required at the seminary level, as is hermeneutics.

20. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NET bible would by my seminary study bible of choice. It is not theological but exegetical. It would help you in your greek and hebrew classes.

And the profs I have in sem (SEBTS) use their GNT and BHS (but I'm not taking theology classes only bib stud classes so that might vary). Sometimes I've seen diaglots used. So I would also recommend either the NET/NA27 or the ESV/NA28 and ESV/BHS. Or you could go the readers Greek/Hebrew Bible. I have enjoyed that for church and morning devos.

#80 Greektim, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013