1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

White and Dying in America

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thousands of stories have been written about why angry, poor, under-educated white voters put Donald Trump into the Oval Office in a 2016 presidential election that almost every political analyst got wrong. On Thursday, two Princeton economists released a study that sheds some light on how and why this happened.

Death rates among under-educated whites (those with a high school education or less) have now surpassed blacks overall in America. In fact, mortality rates are 30 percent higher for whites between the ages of 50-54 than for blacks overall of the same age, the Princeton economists – Anne Case and Angus Deaton – said in a study released by the Brookings Institution.

“Case and Deaton find that while midlife mortality rates continue to fall among all education classes in most of the rich world, middle-aged non-Hispanic whites in the U.S. with a high school diploma or less have experienced increasing midlife mortality since the late 1990s,” Brookings said about the study.

“This is due to both rises in the number of ‘deaths of despair’—death by drugs, alcohol and suicide—and to a slowdown in progress against mortality from heart disease and cancer, the two largest killers in middle age,” Brookings said.

These are exactly the areas where Trump did his best. He over-performed the most in counties with the highest drug, alcohol and suicide mortality rates, according to Shannon Monnat, a political science researcher at Penn State University. She determined he also did the best in the counties with a large working class and high economic stress.

The combined effect of all of this is that mortality rates for whites in this demographic now surpass the death rates of blacks. According to the study, it grew to be 30 percent higher than blacks two years ago.

It’s hard to sugar-coat these findings. To be brutally honest: mortality rates for people in the middle of their life in rich countries all over the world are falling – except for under-educated whites in the United States.

Rich countries, many of them with universal health coverage, are making progress against deadly diseases such as heart disease and cancer. That clearly isn’t true for poor, under-educated whites in America, this study shows. The findings by Case and Deaton come at a curious time – right as President Trump tried (and failed) to convince Congress to strip health care coverage for millions of poor, under-educated white voters.

https://www.usnews.com/news/at-the-...america-thats-why-they-voted-for-donald-trump

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hard to argue that makes sense... the more of his voters are killed off, the more likely he is to be elected. Brilliant.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What an unmitigated load of baloney.

:rolleyes:

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting read . . . and brought to absolutely wrong conclusions by slanted pro-socialized medicine liberals. Expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Leave the politics out and re-read the article.

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally I'd like to see the statistics the authors discussed in the article.
    They seem a bit loose and agenda-driven in the way they handle them.

I wonder if the poor and under-employed were drawn to the president because his message provided a more substantial promise of opportunity for the poor - real hope and change.

Rob

7. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Too many albino's in this world. Thin out the herd.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You post an article about how Trump supposedly won the presidency and then tell someone who comments to leave politics out of it? Ain't this one bright, fair, and gracious guy?

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Goodness me, I found that hard to follow. It is sad that healthcare is such a political hot potato. Mind you, where I live ...I am certain our pretty good health care services are in part due to the fact there is a HIGH percentage of Maori. If we lost them, I think the government would razor blade services but that is of course simply my own opinion

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Melanie, good to see you back! :)

11. Arkstfan

Arkstfan New Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Only thing surprising is the willingness to just say pfft that ain't real.
    Seriously a few years ago there was tracking data based on surveys, arrest data, customs confiscations etc. of what were the most commonly abused drugs in different parts of the world.
    In most of the developed world it was "party drugs" like ecstasy or pot. In the most impoverished parts of the world it was drugs of escape like opioids or amphetamines.
    In the US, our use of amphetamines and opioids was more like the worst most improvished nations in the world than nations of similar wealth.

When I went off to college the people in the small towns of Arkansas could get by just fine. Maybe have a small place, run a few cows, Dad had a job in town or maybe working some for a farm. Mom maybe worked the lunchroom at school, or worked the shirt factory or the shoe factory, or maybe checked people out at the local grocery store (which closed by 7pm).

Parents were nervous about their kids getting a college degree because it meant their kids probably weren't coming back to the community after graduation because there were so few jobs for the college educated.

The factories are gone. In states that didn't do Medicaid expansion, a lot of the hospitals are gone. The stores are mostly gone too but at least WalMart has a better selection and is open longer than 7 to 7 and has lower prices too.

Despair rules. Meth and oxy and heroin are the escapes to avoid the reality of how hopeless it is for so many people. Little town my grandparents lived in, my grandmother would have to find her key to lock her door which only happened if she were leaving overnight. Today my brother carries a sidearm much of the time because he's been hassled by drug addicts out on the farm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thank you kind sir.

13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Democrats have no policy on rural and small-town poverty. They are simply out of touch. Hillary said that those kinds of people were deplorable, as everyone knows.

It is unlikely that corporations even if their taxes are reduced, which they should be, will give raises to the lower class. Both parties still want cheap labor and the history of wages, and the iron law of wages, is that they will be pressed to the floor, as you know.. Sooner or later the wage of the poor will be a loaf of bread a day, if you believe the book of Revelation.

14. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you, are we say the U.S. is a dying nation? If so can it be related to turning our backs on God? Does God discipline Nations for this action? I love the book Nahum where her lists the national sins until the end of the second chapter where he says, "and the voice of your messengers shall no longer be heard?" Messengers has also be translated, great men.

15. Billx

Billx Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am sorry, this was in response to the poor under educated white dying persons

16. XYiftah

XYiftah New Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, Hillary called us deplorables and Billary called us rednecks.....hmmmm and he said he wasn't racist...well maybe he just doesn't like poor white folks....like where he came from....hmmmm maybe one gets that way if you get rich and live in N.Y. for awhile.

17. XYiftah

XYiftah New Member
    Site Supporter

Well, the governor says America has been changed for the good....bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I am from Arkansas too....went back there awhile back....quite depressing....no....more than that....nauseating. That is if one really looks at the reality of the situation. It is possible to enjoy life and be happy if you create a bubble, live in it and ignore whats going on.

18. Happy

Happy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thousands of stories?

Wow, who counted them?

And Who wrote them?

And Where are the "interviews"?

And Where are these angry, poor, under-educated white voters "quotes"?

Where can anyone read a couple hundred of these "stories", with such angry dumb whites "quotes"?

Help us out, I can't find any.... eh?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Thousands of stories have been written about why angry, poor, under-educated white voters put Donald Trump into the Oval Office..."

I wonder what objective standard was used to define "under educated" and "poor".

"Angry" we can ignore. We know no standard was used except they simply had to be "angry" to vote for Trump. "White" we can also ignore because anyone that voted for Trump just had to be a racist and everybody knows all racists are white.

• Like Like x 1
  20. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are exactly right! The Democrats have no use for poor white folks.