1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured White Cop Shoots Black Man in Back as He Runs Away After Being Tased

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Apr 7, 2015.

1. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

I was wondering why he was running, as well. Beyond the outcome for the parties involved, the unfortunate thing for outside viewers is that the video does not show us what Mr. Scott had done, only how Officer Slager responded. I've heard we'll see dashcam footage from Slager's car at some point today, but that also casts an ugly light on the whole case, as it makes the police look even more suspect.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

What is it that you don't understand about THAT'S IRRELEVANT? You have a taser sending thousands of volts through you, and if you're able, see if you try to run away choppy stepped and lopsided just like this guy did probably hoping the wires would come out.

Running away didn't kill him. AN officer breaking the law did.

Apparently the cop is just as stupid because he may pay with his life too.

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Tony ,if you look at the video and how he was running, it looks like he was still being tased because the wires look to still be attached to him. He was running like someone who didn't quite have control over his muscle contractions. He may have just been trying to get the wires out by running from the taser.

4. PreachTony

PreachTony Active Member

Fair enough. What did he do to cause the officer to use his TASER? I don't want to speak of this case as though Officer Slager was simply riding around looking for a black man to kill. Until we're told differently, I want to give the benefit of the doubt to both parties and understand why Slager used his TASER in the first place.

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I think what he did to be tasered, while it might give a clearer picture of the the entirety of what got them to that point, is irrelevant to the fact that Officer Slager shot a fleeing man in the back.

His demeanor certainly didn't seem to suggest that he was in fear of his life. So what is the pathology that makes someone nonchalantly decide "I'm going to use deadly force"? Because I tell ya, just watching this guy's demeanor tells me that something was just really too "I do this everyday".

6. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This officer has been in trouble for heavy handed use of force in the past.

7. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can think of a lot of things. But let's say the cop was going to give the guy a ticket for a broken taillight. The guy starts objecting, trying to talk his way out of the ticket and the cop snaps and tases him. Guy says, "forget this" tries to run away and is murdered.

8. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I predict the police will say the cameras were either turned off, broken, or else they won't show anything relevant.

9. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south-carolina-michael-slager/

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All I can say, is that I would not want most of you on my jury!

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    [Slager had] previously had been allowed to stay on the force despite a complaint in 2013 that he used excessive force against an unarmed man, the Associated Press reported.

Mario Givens told the AP on Wednesday that he was awakened before dawn one morning in 2013 by a loud banging on the front door of his family's home in North Charleston and Slager was on the porch, responding to a reported burglary in the neighborhood.

Givens, 33, told the news agency that he cracked open the door and Slager pushed in, shooting him in the belly with a stun gun. He said he filed a formal complaint against Slager backed by at least two other witnesses, but police took no action.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/09/south-carolina-shooting-video/25508479/

12. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tragic shooting of an unarmed black man by a North Charleston, S.C., police officer was not captured on the dashboard camera of the officer charged with murder in the case, a law enforcement official said Thursday.

South Carolina Law Enforcement Division spokesman Thom Berry told USA TODAY that none of the cameras mounted on any of the police vehicles that responded to the scene captured the dramatic moments recorded by a passerby with his cellphone.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/09/south-carolina-shooting-video/25508479/

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I've heard a lot of people calling in to talk shows from North Charleston in the last few days. And I am as disgusted by what appears to be a pattern of police brutality and abuse of authority from what these callers have said as I am this man's murder.

The question also needs to be asked why nothing was done until this video suddenly surfaced? Because it appears had it not surfaced, Officer Slager would have gotten away with murder.

His fellow officers seemed to be backing up his mis-story.

And it seems to be universally understood that there are certain words that cops must use in their statements after they kill someone because we again and again keep hearing "I feared for my life".

14. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From AOL News

Scott had four children, was engaged and had been honorably discharged from the U.S. Coast Guard, with no violent offenses on his record, Stewart said. He worked at a trucking distribution center, and may have feared being jailed for being behind on child support payments, his family said.

Maybe we need to stop jailing people for this?

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wait a minute...police can arrest people that are behind on child support payments? I thought they went through a process of receiving a warning, then a summons to appear in court, etc.

16. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Oh yeah. Courts issue warrants for people's arrests all the time who are behind on their child support. They can issue a criminal warrant if you are severely behind or just a civil warrant if the parent with the kid files a complaint about a missed payment or two.

The criminal warrants are enforceable in ANY state.

17. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, If there is a warrant out for their arrest....

added for edit
    Zaac - I did it again - posted before reading your post.

18. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

Sounds like another dirty department top to bottom. Place needs to be cleaned out.

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, I didn't realize you live in that community

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Between the two of us, we shouldn't miss anything. :laugh: