1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured White Cop Shoots Black Man in Back as He Runs Away After Being Tased

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Apr 7, 2015.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The truly sickening two parts to this tragedy are, first, that Slager openly executes this man who is fleeing and, second, the official police reports justify the shooting via lies corroborated by other officers.

I'm beyond sickened at the state of our country. We deserve nothing but the judgment of God these days. It is only by His mercy that we don't receive it.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I am still just flabbergasted watching this video. How does another human being CALMLY stand and just shoot someone like that as though it's just target practice?

Officers who are afraid for their lives usually keep their weapons up ready to fire again as they approach a suspect. He just nonchalantly walked over to the guy as he seemed to then radio something.

Just crazy! God help us.:praying:

3. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

WOW! I hadn't heard about that second part. It's systemic. They do this stuff and then cover for one another.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is an interesting take on how the story might have been reported.

[This article is written as if the alleged murder of Walter Scott had not been captured on video that was made public Tuesday by The New York Times and other outlets, and we could only rely on police reports.]
    -------------------

A North Charleston police officer was forced to use his service weapon Saturday during a scuffle with a suspect who tried to overpower him and seize the officer's Taser, authorities said.

The man, who has a history of violence and a long arrest record, died on the scene as a result of the encounter, despite officers performing CPR and delivering first aid, according to police reports.

The shooting was the 11th this year by a South Carolina police officer. The State Law Enforcement Division has begun an investigation into the incident.

Police identified the officer involved as Patrolman 1st Class Michael Thomas Slager and the suspect as Walter Lamar Scott, 50, of Meadowlawn Drive in West Ashley. Slager, 33, served honorably in the military before joining the North Charleston Police Department more than five years ago. He has never been disciplined during his time on the force, his attorney said.

The incident occurred behind a pawn shop on Craig Street and Remount Road. Slager initially pulled Scott over for a broken taillight. During the stop, police and witnesses say Scott fled the vehicle on foot. When Slager caught up with him a short distance from the street, Scott reportedly attempted to overpower Slager. Police say that during the struggle, the man gained control of the Taser and attempted to use it against the officer.

It was during that scuffle that the officer fired his service weapon, fatally wounding Scott.

“Shots fired, and the subject is down. He took my Taser," Slager radioed immediately following the shooting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/08/walter-scott-shooting-without-video_n_7024404.html

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pure foolishness! <I'm channeling Zaac>

Why South Carolina indicted three white police officers in four months

In South Carolina, a state with a long and deep history of racial discrimination against African Americans, three white law enforcement officers have been indicted in recent months on charges stemming from incidents in which they shot — and in two cases, killed — unarmed black men.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ur-months-and-its-probably-not-a-coincidence/

-------------

I can't be bothered to do the search but I'm going to assume that RD2 has railed against voter fraud. In other words, "one illegal vote is one too many", but he can rationalize cops killing people as "not serious" because of the size of our country.

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A Taser is being used as justification for the use of deadly force?

The cop should go down for murder.

7. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

From what I saw later in the video the cop drop a taser by the guy as if planting it! That's messed up! If the guy was running away and the cop cannot tackle him let him go! Cops have a hard enough time then some jackass cop pulls this?

8. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From watching the clip I'd say that's exactly what will happen.

9. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This whole thing is strange. From the video, the cop knew he was being filmed yet he just stood there calmly firing shots into some overweight older guy running away. Then yet another cop just stands over the deceased while the first cop goes away and drops something at the scene.

Well, videotapes can be very deceiving and they can be easily doctored but there are ways to blow up that drop to see exactly what was put there and why. I think judgement should be reserved here, to me it looks like voluntary manslaughter at best, not murder one as charged.

10. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How can you tell that he knew?

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yep. Agree.

12. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It was shot using a cellphone and at one point Slager turned and looked directly at the witness. He should have known that the cellphone could be used to tape.

Murder One will be hard to prove but I think they are deliberately overcharging here.

13. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What? Deliberately overcharging? Huh?

14. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, in order to get the cop to plea to a lesser charge. Supposedly, Slager's attorney just quit because of a conflict with the client.

Unless this video has been proven doctored, the cop will not skate. But the bar for a successful murder one is very high - you have to prove a depraved mind and malicious forethought and there looks like there's little premeditation here by this alone. *If* he did indeed plant the laser, that opens the door to second degree but not first, as it would be like covering up a known crime.

15. Use of Time

Use of Time Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for elaborating. An interesting possibility.

16. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Missed that.

17. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Reports are saying the cop picked up the taser off the ground like the guy dropped it when he was shot. I still like to know why is a 50 year old dude running from the cops?

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. He's dead because he resisted arrest and attempted to flee.

But with just the video as evidence, it certainly appears to be an illegal use of deadly force by the police officer.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

He's dead because an officer broke the law he had sworn to uphold.

There is just nothing in that video that says the officer murdered this guy as though it were target practice. There was NOTHING in his stance that said he feared for his life. He had his gun down as he approached the down suspect. And cops never do that if they are afraid. They keep that gun drawn.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is it about "illegal use of deadly force" that you don't understand? I'm sure the police officer will pay for his crime if the video holds up as what it appears to be.

That doesn't change the fact that there is no evidence at all to indicate that any kind of force would have been used if the victim had not stupidly resisted arrest and tried to flee.

The fact that he paid for his stupidity with his life is a tragedy, but, in real life, that happens sometimes with such decisions.

#40 carpro, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2015